Twins 2019

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I was at last nights walk off game. Fun game to be at but a few take things I took away.
    *Target fields grass looks like crap. Not sure if they have had some concerts before this home stand but the grass at my house looks better. Almost looked like Cave’s bad hop error was due in part to grass? From my vantage point the grass at Target field looks spotty for a MLB park.
    *Josh Donaldson is a major league hitter, but to start walking to first base on a 3-0 pitch doesn’t show much respect for the game. I understand frustrations, but you are making $142k/ball game. 1 year 23 million dollar contract. After Freeman hit his homerun, I would have sent a high and tight ball to Donaldson his next at bat.
    *Duffy, first base is open to Donaldson, I know the best pitch in baseball is strike one, but don’t hang a mid 80’s mph ball to Donaldson lucky all he did is hit a single. Some of our staff has the same mentality as some of our batters. Pitchers want to strike out a batter just like Rosario wants to hit a homerun. Duffy, work the count, first base is open, see if Donaldson will chase, probably not, but then you have McCann up next who is hitting .260 with a force on any base if you end up walking him.
    *Sano, thank you, way to come up clutch. That was a absolute bomba! Wow.

In general, we need starters to go deeper into the game. My main concern is 5-7 inning pitching. 8th Romo, 9th Rogers should shut most games down.

Fun night at target field.

Attachments:
    1. target-field.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

The grass is typically really good a Target field, so not sure if it’s because they ripped the tarp off an hour before game time or what…

I too noticed Donaldson’s early trot to 1st and the tv cameras immediately switched to the Twins dugout camera which was interesting, you could see several players look at each other strange and take note of it, the crowd boo’d but I couldn’t tell if that was because of Donaldson or the walk itself…I’m guessing they didn’t do any payback because it was a tight game, but baseball players have long memories…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was thinking the same thing about the grass. I’m wondering if this is an invasive species thing. I know golf courses struggle with invasive grasses.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not sure why some people are so hard on Baldelli. He’s done an amazing job for his first year. Is he perfect, no, but who is? He’ll just get better with experience.

Because we have an endless supply of these guys.

Attachments:
    1. FD312B3A-7DC7-4C73-81BD-CC8CA4D56266.jpeg

Dan
    Southeast MN

Large amount of Braves fans there last night too.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’m always amazed how easy it is the be a Couch Coach… They have all the answers !!! The job is so simple !!! Black and White !!!
    Put one of them in the actual shoes of the positions they know all about ?? It wouldn’t be so black and white would it ?

Thanks Twins and Twins Organization for some Fantastic Entertainment !!!

Attachments:
    1. 20190722_200528.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Can someone who is smarter than me tell me why we havent moved aaerez to lead off? The guy is an on base machine and a tough at bat plus decent speed. Seems like a perfect lead off batter. Kepler would be great in the 3 or 4 spot too

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Can someone who is smarter than me tell me why we havent moved aaerez to lead off? The guy is an on base machine and a tough at bat plus decent speed. Seems like a perfect lead off batter. Kepler would be great in the 3 or 4 spot too

He would be, but I wouldn’t change anything with Kepler at the moment. He gets to see a lot of fastballs at the top of the order which has been very beneficial this year.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

He would be, but I wouldn’t change anything with Kepler at the moment. He gets to see a lot of fastballs at the top of the order which has been very beneficial this year.

I suppose you’re right and if it ain’t broke dont fix it but he would see a lot of fastballs batting in front of Cruz too

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

I suppose you’re right and if it ain’t broke dont fix it but he would see a lot of fastballs batting in front of Cruz too

Yeah you’re probably right about that too.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Is it me or has Berrios been a little concerning lately? We need him to be the Ace.

B-man

Wasn’t his night for sure….

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Is it me or has Berrios been a little concerning lately? We need him to be the Ace.

I was thinking the same thing until his last start. He was locating everything. Tonight he couldn’t locate ANYTHING.

lindyrig79

Twins scored 7 Runs in each of the last two games, yet lost them both. Pitching seems to be the weak link..huh…. if only they could have done something about that roll

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah. If Smeltzer has another good start I wouldn’t be surprised to see Perez in the bullpen for awhile.

B-man

Big series coming up….

A couple weeks ago we bought tickets for the last game of the series on Sunday.

Should be a good one! Can’t wait

Hopefully they can turn things back around, tough series against the Braves.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Big series coming up….

A couple weeks ago we bought tickets for the last game of the series on Sunday.

Should be a good one! Can’t wait

Hopefully they can turn things back around, tough series against the Braves.

Braves are a helluva team so I’m not panicking yet, but the starting rotation still scares me.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

he has filthy stuff BUT he does not have a 95mph fastball to keep batters honest. JB is a 2nd or 3rd option on a really good team….here, he is the “ACE”.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

He may be my favorite player? the guy is a gamer and plays like he has been here for 5 years. actually Araez is pretty slow but I can bet you Schoop is in his last year as a Twin. batting lead off is over rated in this day of the data.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Yeah I like Arraez a lot. It’s a small sample size but I can’t believe he’s been able to maintain a .350 or better average since he’s been up.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Lets hope the solid Gibson and the bats show up tonight…..

lindyrig79

Gonna need the bats I’m sure. Although they showed up decent against the Braves and it still wasn’t enough. Hope they take it out on the Tribe.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Twins scored 7 Runs in each of the last two games, yet lost them both. Pitching seems to be the weak link..huh…. if only they could have done something about that roll

#do something

Too soon?

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

#do something

Too soon?

Not sure I follow. Well maybe, not sure.

lindyrig79

Adrianza at 1st base. WTF.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Gibson….. chased

This one’s over with Clevenger dealing.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Having better starting and bullpen pitching would’ve been nice for this showdown series.

FryDog62

I’m a broken record – pitching wins divisions, pennants and World Series…

At a minimum, to win you need a starting rotation of two #1-2 “ace” type of starting pitchers and a third one that might be a solid #2 starter on a lesser team. A 3 man rotation of that caliber can win throughout the playoffs. Because of the days off in between, you don’t need to “get by” with your #4 and #5 starters at all, or move them to the bullpen if needed in relief.

You won’t go anywhere with one #1/2 starter in Berrios, a #3 type of starter in Odorizzi and no one else worthy of a starting role on a playoff caliber team.

Best case scenario the Twins make it into the playoffs and suffer a first round loss to a team with 3 top starting pitchers.

Bottom line, this team just doesn’t have the pitching talent to compete with the best teams in baseball.

Viewing 30 posts - 781 through 810 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.