Twins 2019

• moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Also under control for next year.

I’m betting this was a deciding factor. Falvine don’t seem to be convinced this is our year yet and are hedging their bets. I’m not upset by this move but overall I’m underwhelmed and unfortunately CLE got better despite the fact their ownership wants to shed salary at all cost

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Astros top 3 better than our 1! They don’t give a $hit about stupid prospects, they just want a run at a couple ships and rebuild. Good thing our Twinkies are looking at the future!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Kindt wrote:</div>
    Greinke to the Astros shock

Yikes!!!

Verlander/Cole/Grienke

The American League has been put on notice. Best 1-2-3 punch i can think of since the heyday of the A’s Hudson/Zeto/Mulder

I don’t know, I was thinking more like Radke, BOOF Bonser, Silva…..

True i forgot about that trio. oh the good old play to contact days. Whats top MPH between those 3 pitchers? Maybe 92 MPH? Maybe big ole boof got up to 95 once in a while

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Astros top 3 better than our 1! They don’t give a $hit about stupid prospects, they just want a run at a couple ships and rebuild. Good thing our Twinkies are looking at the future!

Yeah that’s going to be tough to beat but at least the Twins have shelled Grienke in the past. Also the 3/4 of the Astros world series team was from their prospects….I get your point though. Verlander won the series for that team and now Grienke might win them another.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’m still disappointed. But trying to be optimistic.

At least we added some solid bullpen action with Romo and Dyson. We could have really used a top end starting pitcher also. If the Twins bats get/stay hot in the postseason we should be in most any game.

Having said that…. the Astro’s starting pitchers will be very tough to beat.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Here’s what the DBacks got in return. No way the Twins would have done all that for an ace. Not sure I would have either, but I’d have worked harder at it than this regime seemed to.

“Arizona will get back a huge haul of Astros farmhands: first baseman/outfielder Seth Beer (Astros’ No. 3 prospect, per MLB Pipeline), right-hander J.B. Bukauskas (No. 4), righty Corbin Martin (No. 5) and infielder Josh Rojas (No. 22). Houston will receive $24 million as part of the deal,”

Per MLB.com

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m still disappointed. But trying to be optimistic.

At least we added some solid bullpen action with Romo and Dyson. We could have really used a top end starting pitcher also. If the Twins bats get/stay hot in the postseason we should be in most any game.

Having said that…. the Astro’s starting pitchers will be very tough to beat.

Definitely could’ve used another starter. I was really hoping to get Mike Minor. I think most of the starters were on teams that gained a ton of ground in the wild card races recently so they were asking quite a bit in return or not really that interested in trading them.

This Dyson move might allow the Twins to get past the first series depending on who we play, but definitely not going to get to the series unless the starting pitching all of a sudden goes bananas.

Dan
    Southeast MN

A lot more should’ve been done, but at least it this guy should provide an upgrade to our current BP situation.

CaptainMusky

Twins didnt have a chance at Grienke anyway he had the Twins on his No Trade list. I laughed when I heard it because I didnt know it was a thing in baseball, but apparently it is.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Twins didnt have a chance at Grienke anyway he had the Twins on his No Trade list. I laughed when I heard it because I didnt know it was a thing in baseball, but apparently it is.

Oh yeah, been around for awhile and the Twins have been on many players’ lists.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i like that we have Dyson under contract for next year too. i know we all wanted a starting pitcher but seeing what the Astros gave up for Grienke and the fact that teams that typically trade with reckless abandon like the Yankees didn’t pull off any big moves, leads me to believe that teams with trade assets were asking for a lot as mahtofire pointed out

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The Yankees really prove that point. They’re staff MIGHT be worse than ours and they didn’t do a damn thing. That was surprising.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Here’s what we gave up. Only Davis seems like an actual loss of talent, and god knows we have plenty of outfielders that can hit. Per MLB.com:

‘In return, the Twins traded a trio of Minor Leaguers to the Giants, headlined by power-hitting outfielder Davis, who clubbed 25 homers for Double-A Pensacola and Triple-A Rochester this season and has 67 homers in the Minor Leagues since he was selected in the 24th round of the 2016 MLB Draft.

Both Berroa and Teng are pitchers in the lower levels of the Minor Leagues. The 19-year-old Berroa was with Rookie-level Elizabethton after he was signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2016 and had a 3.96 ERA with 94 strikeouts and 45 walks in 26 Minor League appearances, including 18 starts.

Teng, 20, was a right-hander with Class A Cedar Rapids and had a 2.51 ERA in 19 Minor League appearances, including 17 starts, after he was signed out of Taiwan in 2017.”

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Kindt wrote:</div>
    Greinke to the Astros shock

Yikes!!!

Verlander/Cole/Grienke

The American League has been put on notice. Best 1-2-3 punch i can think of since the heyday of the A’s Hudson/Zeto/Mulder

The others I can think of off the top of my head:

2011 Phillies: Halladay/Lee/Hamels/Oswalt
    2014 Tigers: Verlander/Scherzer/Price

I didn’t realize Greinke was pitching so well this year, since his big money move to Arizona I just haven’t been following him much.

Also a reminder that the Dodgers had three years of absolute prime Kershaw and Greinke, and only made it out of the divisional series once(and then subsequently lost to the Cardinals in the NLCS).

So there are plenty of examples of teams with multiple aces not getting it done in the playoffs, which is good news for the twins, cause our number of aces has not changed today.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

reports indicate the twins checked on Grienke and he refused to waive his no trade clause to come here

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

reports indicate the twins checked on Grienke and he refused to waive his no trade clause to come here

Well I never…

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Rocco said the deadline ended very well for the team.
    He went on to say they now have quality depth with pitching.

Werm,
    I’m thinking of leaving the lawn chairs out at least thru the first round

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Rocco said the deadline ended very well for the team.
    He went on to say they now have quality depth with pitching.

Werm,
    I’m thinking of leaving the lawn chairs out at least thru the first round

This is my one complaint with Baldelli. He spews the koolaide pretty hard. They certainly improved the bullpen. I wouldn’t say we have quality or depth with our starters.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Rooting for the Astros this week. Looks like a good opportunity for us to extend our lead

Hoyt4
    NULL

Not just Grienke but they added Sanchez who will also help. Most likely move to the bullpen but they just added depth yesterday. They pick up another bullpen guy and catcher from the cubs.

CaptainMusky

Rooting for the Astros this week. Looks like a good opportunity for us to extend our lead

The other way to look at it is if Cleveland wins and we still win we stay at 3 games, but we gain ground on the Astros. Currently the Astros have played 2 more games than we have, we are only a couple % pts behind the Yankees.

JEREMY
    BP

Yikes!!!
    Verlander/Cole/Grienke

That might be as good as Glavin/Maddux/Smoltz at least I remember them being awesome.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>
    Yikes!!!
    Verlander/Cole/Grienke

That might be as good as Glavin/Maddux/Smoltz at least I remember them being awesome.

They sure were, that is until they met kirby and the boys peace toast

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Not a great first showing for Dyson…let’s hope this is the exception

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Not a great first showing for Dyson…let’s hope this is the exception

I don’t really like Baldelli putting him in right after he jumps off a plane. Should it matter no, but maybe let the guy get his feet on the ground first.

It should be the exception. The guy has only walked 7 batters all year.

And there goes the game. That was a shot. Rough finish to that game. Wasted another good start from Pineda.

FryDog62

Brewers fans – is Diplon any good? Why would they give up on a young guy with 61 K’s in 57 innings unless he had other problems?

JEREMY
    BP

Kinda crappy pitchers only gave up 3 runs in the 30 innings of this series if you eliminate the last two ninth innings. Would have only been 2 in 27 innings if didn’t have to to extras today. That’s pretty awesome mixed with a load of pooh.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Brewers fans – is Diplon any good? Why would they give up on a young guy with 61 K’s in 57 innings unless he had other problems?

Almost 6 BB/9 IP to go along with the strikeouts and high ERAs.

Viewing 30 posts - 721 through 750 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.