Twins 2019

• moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I was somewhat with you until this part. First round talent rarely busts? That is as far from the truth in baseball as possible, and even further for teams like the Twins.

Sorry I misspoke. Top end first round picks by organizations with a track record of player development. Can’t compare to Terry Ryan regime, but I agree with your argument re: proven thing vs possible stars.

not sure what the Mets are up to but they aren’t acting like sellers at the moment. I say lets go get Grienke. He wouldn’t cost us any of our good precious prospects all he would cost us is money

Mets are gonna Met…the Greinke thing is interesting. That’s an albatross of a contract but projected payroll is super low so they could afford it

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I could care less if we have a competitive team in 5 to 7 years. I want to win a fricking championship in this town.

x3

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Twins have been calling about Mike Minor from the Rangers as well. I like him a lot. Under control for next year as well.

Heard the Mets have said they grabbed Strohman to increase demand for Thor. Crazy move but might work for them.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I could care less if we have a competitive team in 5 to 7 years. I want to win a fricking championship in this town.

Grade A example of what the Twins shouldn’t do this year in my opinion. Twins could add the top two relievers on the market and their choice of Syndergaard/Greinke and they still aren’t a top 3 favorite to win it the WS. Don’t blow the future to try to win it prematurely, imo.

Replace Syndergaard/Greinke for Scherzer and you’ve got me listening, but that doesn’t sound like it’ll be an option.. right now.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Grade A example of what the Twins shouldn’t do this year in my opinion. Twins could add the top two relievers on the market and their choice of Syndergaard/Greinke and they still aren’t a top 3 favorite to win it the WS. Don’t blow the future to try to win it prematurely, imo.

Replace Syndergaard/Greinke for Scherzer and you’ve got me listening, but that doesn’t sound like it’ll be an option.. right now.

He also just went back on the IL today (Scherzer).

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

They will always be number 3 or 4 behind the Yankees, Dodgers, maybe the Astro’s. The point is, the window won’t stay open long. Carpe Diem and hope the stars align. A couple hot pitchers and they could win it all….they have a good enough team.

Under your logic should we wait until we are the consensus number 1 team in baseball before we make moves? We’ve been “not blowing the future” for way too long around here. I say who cares about the future….make a run now.

Dan
    Southeast MN

What should we keep waiting for? Other teams try and get better too. The Twins have used that mentality for almost 30 years of not wanting to give up too much of the “future.” Almost 30 years into that and it’s not working too well. You can try and rationalize reasons all the time for not “trying” such as injuries, contracts, “windows,” or those wonderful prospects that are “almost there”….

or you can just try and win. Now.

Dan
    Southeast MN

We’ve been “not blowing the future” for way too long around here.

Yep. For the longest time it was Sano and Buxton. 90-loss season but contenders call and want Buxton or Sano? No chance. So now that those two are major contributors, do we just keep waiting more and more cause we haven’t hit “future” yet? You gotta go all in at some damn point.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Agree with both of you that the Twins are close, but I don’t think any of the pitchers available at the deadline this year move the needle in our favor. Certainly not worth giving up top prospects for. I’d love for the Twins to make a few moves at the deadline to help their chances, but again, theres no clear cut #1 ace of the staff that I think the Twins absolutely need in order to win a playoff series vs the Yanks, Astros, and Dodgers- and likely in that order (if they can beat out the Indians).

This offseason, like every offseason, there will be opportunities for the Twins to add that legit #1 ace and that’s when I hope they give up guys like Royce, Kirilloff, and Brusdar for him. The perk of having the majority of the roster young and under team control for a few years is that the Twins SHOULD have multiple shots at it. Don’t get impatient and overly aggressive too early, imo.

Hell, report is is that the Mets are demanding Buxton and prospects in return for Syndergaard. Uhhh, yeah.. no thanks.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Agree with both of you that the Twins are close, but I don’t think any of the pitchers available at the deadline this year move the needle in our favor. Certainly not worth giving up top prospects for. I’d love for the Twins to make a few moves at the deadline to help their chances, but again, theres no clear cut #1 ace of the staff that I think the Twins absolutely need in order to win a playoff series vs the Yanks, Astros, and Dodgers- and likely in that order (if they can beat out the Indians).

This offseason, like every offseason, there will be opportunities for the Twins to add that legit #1 ace and that’s when I hope they give up guys like Royce, Kirilloff, and Brusdar for him. The perk of having the majority of the roster young and under team control for a few years is that the Twins SHOULD have multiple shots at it. Don’t get impatient and overly aggressive too early, imo.

Hell, report is is that the Mets are demanding Buxton and prospects in return for Syndergaard. Uhhh, yeah.. no thanks.

I’ve read those reports also. Here’s the problem and it’s typical Twins thinking. The Mets wanted Buxton and prospects. The Twins said no (the right move) and now people are saying the Twins didn’t even make a counter. They just said that’s ridiculous and quit on it. OF COURSE the Mets are going to start with an offer that’s too much. But you don’t quit on it, you negotiate. That’s what drives me crazy about this Twins.

(This is if the reports are accurate, of course)

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Twins didn’t even make a counter. They just said that’s ridiculous and quit on it. OF COURSE

Another example- remember when the Jays demanded either Royce or Kirilloff for Stroman + Giles? And then see the deal they settled on? Two pitching prospects, both outside of the top 100 prospect list. Mets #4 and 6 guys. That’s such a minimal return for a front end of the rotation starter for the next 1.5 years. Twins could have beat that offer pretty easily, something like Balazovic and Duran would have either done it or been damn close. Of course, this is without Giles, but cmon. Just minutes ago I saw on twitter that the Twins are “shifting their focus away from the starting pitching market”, per LaVelle Neal.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Twins didn’t even make a counter. They just said that’s ridiculous and quit on it. OF COURSE

Another example- remember when the Jays demanded either Royce or Kirilloff for Stroman + Giles? And then see the deal they settled on? Two pitching prospects, both outside of the top 100 prospect list. Mets #4 and 6 guys. That’s such a minimal return for a front end of the rotation starter for the next 1.5 years. Twins could have beat that offer pretty easily, something like Balazovic and Duran would have either done it or been damn close. Of course, this is without Giles, but cmon. Just minutes ago I saw on twitter that the Twins are “shifting their focus away from the starting pitching market”, per LaVelle Neal.

I don’t take a lot of what LaVelle says seriously. He is a bigtime pocket protector (if you listen to KFAN you know what I mean) and just spews out whatever the front office wants you to hear, not to mention the stuff that comes out of his mouth in person.

I’m hoping we stay active but I’m starting to get that sinking feeling. The Front office is already spewing the “we tried” crap to the media already, setting us up for disappointment and there’s still two days until the deadline.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I don’t listen to the radio or read the newspaper, so I don’t know much about him besides him having some very poor takes on Twitter. Didn’t know he was known as a pocket protector, good to know. No way hes worse than Souhan though, right?!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t listen to the radio or read the newspaper, so I don’t know much about him besides him having some very poor takes on Twitter. Didn’t know he was known as a pocket protector, good to know. No way hes worse than Souhan though, right?!

I don’t read Souhan, but the Pohlad’s sign both their checks so I wouldn’t expect much difference.

I’m hoping we stay active but I’m starting to get that sinking feeling. The Front office is already spewing the “we tried” crap to the media already, setting us up for disappointment and there’s still two days until the deadline.

Agreed, looking more and more like the same ol Twins. Also agree with TBro about Stroman, makes me think the Twins didn’t even start talks with Toronto to try and get him as we could have easily made a stronger offer than what the Mets gave up.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I wouldn’t get Greinke, that $34 million per season contract is just plain dumb…Syndergaard option at least has a few years of arbitration left, so his salary won’t be as crazy and it will be mostly merit based, so if he pitches well, he deserves a raise.. I would be more interested in getting another high quality reliever vs overpaying for another starter, Lewis and Kirilloff should be untouchable prospects in any trade….

Dan
    Southeast MN

I don’t take a lot of what LaVelle says seriously. He is a bigtime pocket protector (if you listen to KFAN you know what I mean) and just spews out whatever the front office wants you to hear, not to mention the stuff that comes out of his mouth in person.

100%. I don’t listen to Dan B. anymore but I follow LaVelle on Twitter. Seems like a cool guy but he’s damn near worthless as a Twins reporter. I don’t know how a guy can be that protective of the team. I understand the predicament the press is in because they want to report and be legit but they also need to keep a good relationship and be able to get access, but this guy never criticizes anything and is always an apologist for the ownership and management.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I wouldn’t get Greinke, that $34 million per season contract is just plain dumb…Syndergaard option at least has a few years of arbitration left, so his salary won’t be as crazy and it will be mostly merit based, so if he pitches well, he deserves a raise.. I would be more interested in getting another high quality reliever vs overpaying for another starter, Lewis and Kirilloff should be untouchable prospects in any trade….

All reports indicate that the Dbacks are prepared to eat a large portion of that contract in a trade deal.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I would entertain the Greinke deal if the Dbacks eat the majority of the contract. Otherwise it’s just way too much money to get a 35 year old pitcher who’s been in the NL for a long time (granted the Dodgers lineup isn’t a cupcake). Go for it if we’re gonna miss out on Thor, but we need another RP either way in my mind. 1 more starter doesn’t move the needle enough IMO

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Give me Kirby Yates. Having a heck of a year and hits free agency after next year. ~$3 mil and arbitration determines next year’s salary. 72 Ks to only 9 BBs in 44.0 IP this year and a career 1.129 WHIP seems like a proven commodity

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

100%. I don’t listen to Dan B. anymore but I follow LaVelle on Twitter. Seems like a cool guy but he’s damn near worthless as a Twins reporter. I don’t know how a guy can be that protective of the team. I understand the predicament the press is in because they want to report and be legit but they also need to keep a good relationship and be able to get access, but this guy never criticizes anything and is always an apologist for the ownership and management.

Exactly right on Lavelle. I’ve had a cigar with him randomly as he’s a pretty big cigar guy, as am I, and he’s a nice guy. But it’s pretty sad when you’re a beat writer and you can’t hold you’re own in a debate on the team you cover.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Romo was wearing a Legends of Zelda t shirt during a pregame interview tonight. That.is.awesome.

Then he pitches the 8th and protects the lead.

I like this guy.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Romo was wearing a Legends of Zelda t shirt during a pregame interview tonight. That.is.awesome.

Then he pitches the 8th and protects the lead.

I like this guy.

I saw that too. Classic!

In other news, Trevor Bauer is headed to Cincinnati and Puig is coming to Cleveland…..interesting.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

3 game lead.
    It will be back into double digits on no time.

B-man

I’m not sold on Romo yet, but hopefully he’ll settle in a bit waytogo

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m not sold on Romo yet, but hopefully he’ll settle in a bit waytogo

Didn’t give up the lead. I don’t care how it gets done, he got the job done. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Bringing the 86 mph heat!

B-man

Beaned a batter, a deep fly at the track, and an uncontested stolen base from a big step.

He does throw a squirrelly ball though waytogo He’d strike crap outta me lol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Beaned a batter, a deep fly at the track, and an uncontested stolen base from a big step.

He does throw a squirrelly ball though waytogo He’d strike crap outta me lol

What’s new for this bullpen? He got it done. The guys has a ridiculous slider and his two seamer moves about a foot into right handed batters. Which is what he hit the batter with. mrgreen Fooled the batter so bad he couldn’t get outta the way! jester

Walleye Hungry

Romo did the job he was asked to do. However he did almost give a HR up to a non home run hitter, hits a guy…blah blah blah. It was one game we cant get too excited or hate on him yet.

What i did LOVE to see is how fired up he was to close the inning out. If he keeps that energy in the locker room it may light a fire under the asses of the other guys. Even if his pitching is okay…that energy will go a long way.

CaptainMusky

Cleveland got better with that trade. They have been plagued with injuries and many of those guys will be coming back soon. This race is far from over.

Falvine need to do something today to bolster the pitching a bit, Romo looks to be a decent pickup, but there needs to be at least one more move to make a difference.

Viewing 30 posts - 661 through 690 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.