Twins 2019

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Twins can mash…. grin

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

198 HRs! Anyone wanna guess the guy that hits #200? I’m thinking Rosario.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Shut the front door!
    3 taters in one game, does cruise think he’s Reggie Jackson? LOL

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Reports are that we have been in discussions with the Mets for Noah but are scoffing at the idea of giving up one of our top 3 prospects. To Bigwerms point i wouldn’t be surprised if we heard from the brass later with the message “we tried for one of the top guns”. Then they will settle for some mid level arm

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Reports are that we have been in discussions with the Mets for Noah but are scoffing at the idea of giving up one of our top 3 prospects. To Bigwerms point i wouldn’t be surprised if we heard from the brass later with the message “we tried for one of the top guns”. Then they will settle for some mid level arm

Powertrip this morning mentioned that according tho Lavelle the Mets want BOTH Kirilloff and Lewis, which to me seems like a bit much. I would be fine with giving up one or the other, but both seems a little steep. Hopefully that asking price will change closer to the deadline, as long as the bombers don’t scoop him up first… doah

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Powertrip this morning mentioned that according tho Lavelle the Mets want BOTH Kirilloff and Lewis, which to me seems like a bit much. I would be fine with giving up one or the other, but both seems a little steep. Hopefully that asking price will change closer to the deadline, as long as the bombers don’t scoop him up first… doah

I am far from a prospect hoarder and recognize the need to strike while the iron is hot but that is way way way too much to give up. Thor is a very good pitcher with 2 1/2 years of team control and remains in arbitration, but has an injury history. Kirilloff and Lewis don’t become free agents until 2025 and first round talent rarely busts. If Rosario and/or Buxton don’t want to re-sign (failed to ink them last winter despite offers) and with Cron being short-term we need Kirilloff. I like Lewis a lot, too, but I think he’d be the more expendable of the two if you absolutely had to give up one of them.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Lewis and Kiriloff for Noah! That’s it? If rumors are true, which I doubt, that’s NOTHING in return for a proven top of the rotation arm. There are hundreds of first round picks that fizzle out before they do jack! Remember Cole Stewart? Wow how impressive is he? If this front office is really scared of prospect potential than they will never be able to compete in this age of moneyball.

Of course you start negotiations low and go from there. Good news is the Mets will not trade him to the Yankees Braves or LA from what I read.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Lewis and Kiriloff for Noah! That’s it? If rumors are true, which I doubt, that’s NOTHING in return for a proven top of the rotation arm. There are hundreds of first round picks that fizzle out before they do jack! Remember Cole Stewart? Wow how impressive is he? If this front office is really scared of prospect potential than they will never be able to compete in this age of moneyball.

Of course you start negotiations low and go from there. Good news is the Mets will not trade him to the Yankees Braves or LA from what I read.

I disagree. Even if you would rather trade prospects for proven talent as a rule of thumb. Those two prospects alone could and should fetch you more than a player like Noah. Perception is value and around the league I’d be willing to bet if you shopped those two guys in separate deals you would get a haul of a return

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Kirilloff and Lewis don’t become free agents until 2025 and first round talent rarely busts.

I was somewhat with you until this part. First round talent rarely busts? That is as far from the truth in baseball as possible, and even further for teams like the Twins. Here’s the twins first round picks:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Twins_first-round_draft_picks

There is like 75 people on that list and there’s maybe like 1-3 that I’d consider a net loss if they were traded for a guy like Syndergaard. Mauer, Torii, ???

It’s like this scene from family guy:

“Sure, Noah Syndergaard is a really good pitcher, but our prospects could turn into anything, they could even turn into a good pitcher!”

Now, if we are talking about a rental of an ‘okay’ relief pitcher or something, then yeah, protect those top prospects, but there is absolutely a threshold you hit where you say, “uhh, I’d rather have Noah friggin Syndergaard than a prospect who could be good.”

I just hope they make some moves.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

I disagree. Even if you would rather trade prospects for proven talent as a rule of thumb. Those two prospects alone could and should fetch you more than a player like Noah. Perception is value and around the league I’d be willing to bet if you shopped those two guys in separate deals you would get a haul of a return

I think the only thing different than most deadline deals here is that Noah has two more full years of team control. Being realistic, the Twins might not have a window in three years. We have a lot of guys who aren’t signed past 2022, and I don’t see the rest of the division transitioning to ultra competitive in the next 1-2 years.

2.5 years of team control on Noah makes him a HUGE asset for a team like the Twins who do seem to have a bit of a window open, but don’t want that window to be a one and done, all or nothing shot.

And not saying Lewis or Kiriloff won’t turn into stars, but look up their numbers in the minors and compare them to someone like Vlad Jr, Kris Bryant, etc. I’m not sure these guys are quite at the ‘can’t miss what are you doing even considering moving them’ level, but I could be wrong there. Not to mention like 50% of guys at the ‘can’t miss’ level still miss.

KP
    Hudson, WI

If they get Noah, I can just see all the marketing the Twins do on his Thor god of thunder nickname.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I would hesitate to move both for Thor, but being under team control makes me a little more okay with it. I’m 50/50 on that trade.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I gotta say I love this guy arraez. Hes a tough out at the plate and always seems to make good contact. I’ve always been a fan of the slap hitters that make for a pesky out. Havent watched him in the field much so not sure how he does there

Dan
    Southeast MN

He’s been ok in the field, made an error tonight, but on the plus side he has played a lot of positions this year including ones he’s barely played.

I agree, on a team of really great stories this year I still think he’s one of the best ones. Some guys come up and are a flash in the pan but Arraez has sustained so far this year and hit pitchers well.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Great outing by pineda tonight so far. Hes been another great addition this year. Innings eater who has a winning % on the year. Awesome #5 starter

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’ve watched more twins ball this year than the last 5 years. I have no interest watching the garbage they have been selling the fans over the last 5 years. Noah is available and an ace with 2 years of team control who rarely goes on the market. This year is all in! Playoffs you only need 3 starters so Gibby and Perez can suck it up and move to the pen.

Thor
    Berrios
    Odo

Let’s go!

Bullpen with Gibby, Perez, Rogers, Mays, and another addition and that’s a solid roster. I’ve had enough silver lining future talk. Strike the iron while its hot!

Dan
    Southeast MN

I agree. I’m aware there are risks. Who knows, those 2 prospects could be 2 future hall-of-famers.

But the Twins have been to cheap/scared to part ways with prospects MY ENTIRE LIFE. Try something else. You’re winning, you told the fanbase you’d be aggressive when the “window” was open. Otherwise what? At the Twins’ rate, these prospect will be solid in, say, 2023, but then what, they’re “close” again but won’t part ways with the next prospects? Go all in sometime. Try it. Might work. Either way, what they’ve been doing for the last 28 years hasn’t, so try trying.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve watched more twins ball this year than the last 5 years. I have no interest watching the garbage they have been selling the fans over the last 5 years. Noah is available and an ace with 2 years of team control who rarely goes on the market. This year is all in! Playoffs you only need 3 starters so Gibby and Perez can suck it up and move to the pen.

Thor
    Berrios
    Odo

Let’s go!

Bullpen with Gibby, Perez, Rogers, Mays, and another addition and that’s a solid roster. I’ve had enough silver lining future talk. Strike the iron while its hot!

Starters rarely make a short term transition to the pen. They aren’t geared to get ready and warm in a few minutes like a reliever. You need a 4th in the playoffs for a 7 game series and that’s likely gibby at this point but we’re getting ahead of ourselves.

Twins will win the division this year but I need to see them get out of the first round.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

And, give up the prospects for Syndegaard. This team has a couple year window to be really good. Protect the core of Buxton, Rosario, Cron, Garver, Polanco, Kepler et al and get a couple stud pitchers.

I could care less if we have a competitive team in 5 to 7 years. I want to win a fricking championship in this town.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I would rather have Pineda in the rotation right now than Odo. Hopefully he gets back on track though. Been pretty impressed with Big Mike over the last month. His stuff is nasty when he’s locating.

On the trade deadline topic, the big rumor today is the Jays want Larnach and Graderol for Strohman and Giles and the Twins are less than impressed. If I’m the Twins I’m already sending the paperwork to the Jays. Larnach might be a pretty good player but when he comes up I don’t think he’s going to have a place to play with Rosario, Buxton, and Kepler. Graderol will probably struggle as a starter in the bigs so they will turn him into a relief pitcher like they have with every pitcher they’ve drafted for the last 15 years.

I say make the trade and say thank you!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I could care less if we have a competitive team in 5 to 7 years. I want to win a fricking championship in this town.
    [/quote]

X2

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Looks like we got some bullpen help. Glad to see that. Hope we aren’t done making moves. Lead is down to 1

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah I like the move. Got a solid bullpen arm who has playoff experience and you still have your chips to go after a top reliever and top starter. Solid starting move. Now let’s make a couple more!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Looks like the Twins wanted to show the new Pitcher they can put some runs on the board.

They Boys from Summer sure opened a can of whoopa$$ on the sox today!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Strohman to the Mets???? Wtf??? That’s not how the trade deadline works…… neutral

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Strohman to the Mets???? Wtf??? That’s not how the trade deadline works…… neutral

Sounds like a replacement for Thor!

Walleye Man42

They gave up there 6th and 7th best prospect. Our prospects are rated a lot higher than theirs.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

not sure what the Mets are up to but they aren’t acting like sellers at the moment. I say lets go get Grienke. He wouldn’t cost us any of our good precious prospects all he would cost us is money

CaptainMusky

not sure what the Mets are up to but they aren’t acting like sellers at the moment. I say lets go get Grienke. He wouldn’t cost us any of our good precious prospects all he would cost us is money

Yeah it is certainly a curious move, but there is rampant speculation that they made the move for Stroman because they are going to deal Syndegaard and wanted someone stable in the rotation. It is a perplexing move for sure. We will see soon what is up their sleeve.

Viewing 30 posts - 631 through 660 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.