Twins 2019

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m thinking Trevor May has money on Cleveland winning the division. flame

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Almost blew that one. Pineda is was doing great besides the homer in. He made quite a few batters look silly today

B-man

Squeaked that one out waytogo

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Trevor May has to straighten some things out, no doubt, but those 2 passed balls on Castro cost him 2 of the 3 runs he gave up. Also, of his 41 appearances so far this year, hes thrown more than 30 pitches only twice. He was a pitch or two away from 50 today. No wonder he couldnt throw a strike. If Falvey and Levine got their way, Cash Considerations would have come out to get the save today..

Correction- Only 1 passed ball on Castro while the other was ruled a wild pitch that Castro would tell you he should have blocked. My point still stands

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Syndergaard and Will Smith should be the targets. There is no such thing as un touchable trade targets. I have no problem trading top prospects for a run at ships.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If Falvey and Levine got their way, Cash Considerations would have come out to get the save today..

Curious what the analytics say about our BP now TBro? Not being a Richard, seriously curious.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Curious what the analytics say about our BP now TBro

Appreciate you asking. Currently the Twins rank 7th in the league (but only 6th in the AL) in bullpen WAR. Not the best stat out there for ‘pens, but it gives you a good idea. Basically says that the Twins have won an additional 3 games because of their bullpen. Although, they have a higher hard hit % and BABIP so they are likely start trending in the wrong direction.
    The numbers say Rogers has been absolutely filthy, which i think we can all agree he has. Only issue with the Twins bullpen is that they have 3 or 4 good depth guys, but dont have that 1-2 punch at the back to lock down the 8th and 9th.
    To sum it all up, Rogers is awesome, May has been extremely unlucky- expect his #s to improve, Duffey and Harper are a bit above average, and Blake Parker is god awful. To early to say on Littell, but #s dont look great.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Sorry, dont mean to make it sound like I know everything about these numbers, I certainly dont. Just scratching the surface out there. If you want to take a look yourself, Fangraphs and baseball savant are plum full of really neat data.

This link is set to team bullpen stats specifically, but can be adjusted at the top. Fangraphs “glossary” has great explanations on all stats you dont know.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31&sort=18,d

If you like batted ball stats, like exit velocity, hard hit rate, and launch angle type stuff, google “baseball savant *insert player name here*”. So much cool stuff out there, but I get its not for everyone (or most)!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m glad the analytics are starting to show the trend with the bullpen. It’s pretty easy to tell with the eye test for awhile. They overachieved the first few months and when they did blow a lead our offense was there to pick up the pieces. The last month the offense hasn’t been nearly as potent. May reminds me of Ryan Pressley quite a bit. Crazy good stuff but just can’t get his pitches over the plate. I think Pressley gave us a few more signs that he would be pretty good if he figured it out though. It’ll be interesting how long of a leash they give him.

I just hope to god they bring in at least one arm for the pen. I can’t watch much more of it the way it is.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Got to love those triple plays waytogo

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

5 HRs, a triple play, and a W against those dang Yanks!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Great game last night! Triple play was unreal. The Dongs were money. And the bullpen held it together against a very good Yankee lineup. Was dicey a few times still… hope they bring in some pitching help.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m ready to trade Castro for a bullpen arm. I know having plenty of catchers is a luxury so it won’t happen but man Garver is turning into one of the best catchers in the league. Made a ton of strides this year defensively as well and Castro has been lazy as hell behind the plate lately.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

In my opinion the Twins need 1 top of the line starter, and two very solid BP arms. What will actually happen is you will hear rumors of the Twins in on MadBum/Snydergaard/Other Starter Du Jour along with a couple of the top BP arms. Surprisingly to no one paying attention, they will just miss out on those top guys again, and settle for a #3 or later starter and one or two mediocre bullpen arms in exchange for a couple good prospects who flourish soon after elsewhere. End result Twins win 1 maybe 2 playoff games, and are out in the first round again. And when they say the asking price was too much for the top guys remember the new Genius front office CHOSE not to sign anyone of significance in the offseason, nor Kuechel/Kimbrel in season once they knew we were a contender offensively.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

They absolutely need atleast one dominant guy in the back with Rogers so they dont routinely depend on 2 inning saves from him. They also need to look into controllable starters past this year, as Odo, Gibby, and Pineda are all free agents this offseason. Thats why, to me, trading for Bumgarner makes absolutely no sense at all. Well, theres a lot more reasons but I wont bother to get into that waytogo

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

They absolutely need atleast one dominant guy in the back with Rogers so they dont routinely depend on 2 inning saves from him. They also need to look into controllable starters past this year, as Odo, Gibby, and Pineda are all free agents this offseason. Thats why, to me, trading for Bumgarner makes absolutely no sense at all. Well, theres a lot more reasons but I wont bother to get into that waytogo

Not to mention his fastball is down to 91 and his hard hit rate is brutal.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Werm, the geniuses did sign 3 FA’s. Cruz, Cron, Schoop. Last I checked, they put up better numbers in half a year at less $ than our buddy Joey. The real man of genius is the guy who talked him into retirement!

If the Twins are looking at “ace” material, there is only one that fits their requirements. 26 years old and under team control. He throws way too hard and misses too many bats tho so Noah will be No go.

It’s a tough market to trade for help this year with no August waiver deadline and so many teams in the running looking for help. Got to get creative.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The same group signed Lance Lynn (great this year, bad last year) and Logan Morrison last year. Don’t give them too much credit yet. Both years they signed FA’s that some other teams had passed on. Last year it didn’t work, this year it really has very well.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Hey hey hey! Them analytics aren’t so bad after all, are they?! Couldn’t agree more with ya. toast

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Hey hey hey! Them analytics aren’t so bad after all, are they?! Couldn’t agree more with ya. toast

Yeah yeah….Just furthered my negative opinion on Bumgarner.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Blake Parker is god awful

They absolutely need atleast one dominant guy in the back with Rogers

Parkers 3.29 ERA didn’t look too bad, but digging into the numbers it was so blatantly obvious his ERA would balloon at some point. Unfortunately, it started tonight. 5 run 8th for the Yanks.

But that’s alright. The Twins still have the “fat kid” around who has continued to absolutely obliterate the baseball since fans were ready to exile him a month ago.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Dang, if anyone is still watching this game, what an emotional roller coster.

Give up a billion runs in the 8th to lose the lead

Sano hits an absolute bomb off of Britton to take back the lead in bottom of the 8th.

Rogers gets an 0-2 count on their #9 hitter with 2 outs, walks him and then gives up a go ahead HR to former twin Aaron Hicks.

Chapman comes in to close out the game and walks 3 straight dudes and the Twins manage 1 run off of him to send it to extras.

Stewart comes up and gets shelled, gives up 2 runs in the top of the 10th.

Ottavino comes in and gets two outs in the bottom of the 10th and then walks three straight guys. Max Kepler up, 2 outs, bases loaded, down by two. I can’t even take this.

Kepler drives one deep into the gap! Annnnnnd Aaron Hicks makes a diving catch to end the game.

Tough L to take for the Twins. At least the Indians lost for the first time in what seems like a month.

Walleye Hungry

WTF…8-2 I went to bed and I wake up to feed the baby and see the final score. If they dont make a roster move for relievers I will forever have a disgust towards our owners/front office, this is just pathetic

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Dang, if anyone is still watching this game, what an emotional roller coster.

Give up a billion runs in the 8th to lose the lead

Sano hits an absolute bomb off of Britton to take back the lead in bottom of the 8th.

Rogers gets an 0-2 count on their #9 hitter with 2 outs, walks him and then gives up a go ahead HR to former twin Aaron Hicks.

Chapman comes in to close out the game and walks 3 straight dudes and the Twins manage 1 run off of him to send it to extras.

Stewart comes up and gets shelled, gives up 2 runs in the top of the 10th.

Ottavino comes in and gets two outs in the bottom of the 10th and then walks three straight guys. Max Kepler up, 2 outs, bases loaded, down by two. I can’t even take this.

Kepler drives one deep into the gap! Annnnnnd Aaron Hicks makes a diving catch to end the game.

Tough L to take for the Twins. At least the Indians lost for the first time in what seems like a month.

Great Game! didn’t end the way I was hoping.
    I don’t think the Yankees want to start the playoffs against the Twins.
    Just sayin

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

OMG, what a game. I shut it off in the 8th, I didn’t have a good feeling about Parker being in to pitch and I was tired. Super proud that the Twins kept battling back and sounds like an absolute crazy ending to what was already a great game. Need some pitching help to be serious about post season though.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I love a good pitchers duel, but that was a lot of fun too!

Werm, the geniuses did sign 3 FA’s. Cruz, Cron, Schoop. Last I checked, they put up better numbers in half a year at less $ than our buddy Joey. The real man of genius is the guy who talked him into retirement!

Haha yeah I didn’t hate Mauer, but thought they should have kept him at catcher where his real value was. And Dan hit the nail on the head, if the new front office is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers, what about last years free agent class? Or why did they sign all those guys (plus Garver) to one year deals?

B-man

Crazy game. I couldn’t quite make it though, past me’s bedstime jester

I wish they did a 5:10 or 6:10 start, especially when playing an East coast team. No sympathy for the New York fans, but that’s gotta be even tougher.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Seems they either need to add some arms to the bullpen or start having the starters pitch full games. I’m leaning towards add to the bullpen.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Seems they either need to add some arms to the bullpen or start having the starters pitch full games. I’m leaning towards add to the bullpen.

You must be new here! Some of this is on the coaching. Once you get close to 100 pitches, they pull em. Then you are stuck using 6 guys of which 2 are reliable, to finish the game. Do this game in game out and it takes a toll.

blank

I fully agree. They haven’t had a starter finish even 6 innings in the last 5 games. That really takes a toll on the bullpen. And it’s not as if the starters have really sucked and needed to be taken out, they’ve just had high pitch counts like eyeguy mentioned. I certainly don’t know exactly how to remedy that, but I’m sure it’s having an impact on having the bullpen pitch effectively.

Viewing 30 posts - 571 through 600 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.