Twins 2019

• tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

HOWEVER they should give up whatever it takes to get Max Scherzer and the 2.5 years remaining on his deal.

After Scherzer got his black eye attempting to bunt in BP (lol), not only did he absolutely deal, but his average fastball velocity for the game was his highest of his career. He’s 34. rotflol Absolute machine. No way around it

Unfortunately the Nationals went 18-8 in the month of June and now may look to compete as they dug their way back into the race. I’m not a Bumgarner guy myself, but Scherzer would sure tickle me straight. Damn Target field would be a riot

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    HOWEVER they should give up whatever it takes to get Max Scherzer and the 2.5 years remaining on his deal.

After Scherzer got his black eye attempting to bunt in BP (lol), not only did he absolutely deal, but his average fastball velocity for the game was his highest of his career. He’s 34. rotflol Absolute machine. No way around it

Unfortunately the Nationals went 18-8 in the month of June and now may look to compete as they dug their way back into the race. I’m not a Bumgarner guy myself, but Scherzer would sure tickle me straight. Damn Target field would be a riot

Pohlads would probably have to sell Target Field to sign Scherzer…… jester

I’d do it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Pohlads would probably have to sell Target Field to sign Scherzer……

Well besides being multi-billionaire’s, the Pohlad’s are set to make more this year than Scherzer has remaining on his contract for the next 2.5 years. If they did it, they could surge price his starts like Uber to recoup some of the cost, and even I would be poney’ing up! rotflol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Pohlads would probably have to sell Target Field to sign Scherzer……

Well besides being multi-billionaire’s, the Pohlad’s are set to make more this year than Scherzer has remaining on his contract for the next 2.5 years. If they did it, they could surge price his starts like Uber to recoup some of the cost, and even I would be poney’ing up! rotflol

HA! I’m still shocked they did the $5 ticket sale. I figured whoever brought that idea to them would’ve been fired on the spot!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Maybe Sano is finding his swing?? He looked horrible the last few weeks, but had a good series against CWS and just homered again in his first at bat in OAk.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, there was some great analysis by Roy Smalley and others during the broadcast discussing his swing changes and hand positioning. Seems to be working at least in the short term. 5 for 9 with what 4 HRs?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yeah, there was some great analysis by Roy Smalley and others during the broadcast discussing his swing changes and hand positioning

Agreed, also he’s up to 13 bomba’s this year, which in most other Twins seasons would be considered awesome esp when factoring his time out of the lineup.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

The team looks to be in a slump and Cleveland is making some ground. What looked like a done deal in a division title a few weeks ago now has me a little nervous

CaptainMusky

The team looks to be in a slump and Cleveland is making some ground. What looked like a done deal in a division title a few weeks ago now has me a little nervous

Yeah, they have slipped a little, but its still 7 games. To start the Twins had no injuries, but have had to fight through several of late so that is clearly hampering them. They still need to address pitching.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Interesting time period as the division lead is down to 6. That 10-game lead seems like a long time ago. So much context comes into play here. A’s are a good team and each game was close (today was 3-2 in the 8th before they blew it open).

To look at the 6-game division lead with some context, I bet most other fanbases in baseball would love to be in this situation, but I think we are all extremely nervous because we’re conditioned to be like that as MN sports fans. Even with their recent stretch I’m sure Indians fans aren’t real excited just yet. The Indians have gotten some good players back, while the Twins seem to always have a good starter on the IL lately. It doesn’t seem all that bad because the rest of the lineup is solid, but full strength would be nice. Arraez has played a few games in the outfield recently when he’s barely done that in his career.

Gleeman and the Geek have done some good number-crunching and said something like if the Twins play .500 baseball the rest of the way the Indians would need to play at a 100-win pace to take the division lead.

Still lots to like about the team, and you could say the AS break is coming at a good time to get a few more guys healthier and for everyone to mentally reset and get out of this mini-funk they’re in.

Still would like to see some good, legit arms added. I know a lot of people have said bold statements like “they will add someone before the deadline” but I’m not willing to go that far; I assume they will, but it’s the Pohlads and I won’t believe it until I see it. Meanwhile the Indians are in a dicier situation, because they are hanging on but it would take a great 2nd half to win the division. I believe they do hold the 2nd WC spot, so does their management go for it and make a big push just to get into the last spots of the playoffs (MN Wild-style) or do they not make any aggressive moves and try to build more for next year?

Indians do have 10 games apiece left against the Royals and Tigers, so hot streaks against those bad teams would definitely help them climb, and I believe they have 12 left against the Twins, so it’s not inconceivable that good play by them combined with a somewhat Twins collapse could see them win the division outright and the Twins on the outside looking in.

I think they’ve exceeded expectations so far and at least we have some really good pro baseball taking place in our state right now.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The Indians are one or two injuries away from imploding as well. They have to stay healthy to keep winning. I think the Twins win the division but they aren’t going anywhere in the playoffs unless they add a couple bullpen arms and I’d like to see another starter as well.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Glad you brought that up, Dan. Indians are in a REAL interesting spot. All offseason we heard rumors that they’d either trade Bauer or Kluber to continue cutting payroll. They let Brantley walk, ended up cutting $20 mil from the previous year. But its well known that Bauer will never commit to a long term deal, he wants just 1 to 2 years deals his whole career. Still has another year and a half before hes a UFA, so buyers will still be bidding. Nobody knows what Kluber will be like when he returns from injury either but hes got a few club options before hes a UFA himself. They gave up their prize farm pieces for a few ‘pen arms last year too. Will be interesting. Hope they sell, sell, sell to NL teams!!

That said, over the last 6 years they’ve won more games than anyone else in the AL with this core. Even had a 3-1 WS lead. Doesn’t seem smart for them to start selling now with all these guys under contract for atleast one more year but I certainly wouldn’t mind ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I want to thank Joe Manure for doing the right thing and retiring on his 100 million pile of money. I have to admit as a lifelong fan since the early 80’s, this is the best year to watch as a fan. They basically replaced him for Cruz, Cron and Schoop at the same price! There is no excuse to not make a move at an ace and another arm in the pen.

We are not talking giving up the top 3 prospects for a rental but much less based on past trades. There is zero chance this team can compete with the likes of the Yankees or Red Sox or Astros without a proven arm…..zero chance! Instead of the typical names like Scherzer or Madbum, they need to look elsewhere. I am making calls to the Mets for DeGrom or Syndegaard. Mets are out of it already and going nowhere the last few years. Syndegaard has had a tough year but that is the type of trade that makes a pretender into a contender.

And yes………..welcome to the DONG SHOW! Twins set the major league record for Dongs prior to the All-Star break! Small ball era is officially over! Twins nation rejoice!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I like your thinking eyeguy, especially the J. Manure part. waytogo

165 tators! bow

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just don’t set unrealistic expectations. Yep I said it, sit back and enjoy!! They’re fun to watch, they might go the whole way, or imploded. Who cares!!! Just enjoy fun baseball!!!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I could see them getting Strohman. I think I’d be alright with that. Probably wouldn’t get fleeced in prospects with him either.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I could see them getting Strohman. I think I’d be alright with that. Probably wouldn’t get fleeced in prospects with him either.

Package deal for Stroman/Giles would be awesome.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Package deal for Stroman/Giles would be awesome.

Yeah I’d be good with that. Give them Kirilloff and maybe some random arm. Strohman kind of scares me but that’s just because every time I’ve watched him pitch he’s gotten shelled. But his numbers say otherwise.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Nice comeback victory last night against the Tribe. The first one was huge!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Nice comeback victory last night against the Tribe. The first one was huge!

Yup I dont wanna say we needed that one but that sure sets us up nice to start the 2nd half. And we can credit our bullpen for the victory too which is refreshing!

Dan
    Southeast MN

I dont wanna say we needed that one but that sure sets us up nice to start the 2nd half.

I was thinking the same thing. It wasn’t a must-win game but it was huge, now they can go into the rest of the weekend knowing they’ve at least got a game instead of pressing to try and win.

I still want to see some better arms added but this bullpen has had some pretty big performances in the last month or so.

Pretty fun to have a game/series coming out of the AS game be this intense.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Jake Cave just went yard! Followed by Kepler! Ding Dong!

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I’m thinking Kepler does the HR derby next year, and Bauer pitches to him. 5 HR in his last 5 AB vs Trevor……..

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m liking the game so far!
    It would have been nice to see them cash in with the bases loaded and one out in that first inning

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Take that Tribe!
    I hope Buxton is ok after that bad a$$ catch.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Hot diggity damn. GO TWINKIES!!!!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m thinking Kepler does the HR derby next year, and Bauer pitches to him. 5 HR in his last 5 AB vs Trevor……..

HA! He owns Bauer right now. Great start to the second half. Bullpen even getting the job done for the most part.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

“Joe was being paid a lot of money, but he was worth that,” Pohlad said. “I think we would be an even better team if Joe was on our team right now. But not having that salary certainly, I’m sure, from Derek’s and Thad’s standpoint [has] helped.”

NO! NO! NO! they would not be a better team this year with Mauer.

(This was from Sid’s column today)

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Anyone who knows a smidgen about baseball knew that #7 was done years ago. As for senile Sid, he was done making sense decades ago!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Parties over. sad

They looked pathetic yesterday and today. They completely looked past the Mets.
    D stank, can’t drive in a run with bases full, heck I could hit one out of the park against Trevor May.

Rocco better kick some a$$ and get these guys back on track.

Viewing 30 posts - 511 through 540 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.