Twins 2019

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Just playing devil’s advocate here but who’s to say the twins didnt offer more money and kimbrel just said “no thanks” and signed with the Cubs. Do we know the details of the negotiations? We are talking as if we do.

jake47
    WI

As someone who is pulling for my Brewers to face the Twins in the WS, I am happy they didn’t get Kimbrel. He showed a lot of cracks in the postseason with a 5+ ERA and I don’t think he is worth the $40M+ the Cubs now owe him. Here’s to hoping he is Darvish 2.0.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Just playing devil’s advocate here but who’s to say the twins didnt offer more money and kimbrel just said “no thanks” and signed with the Cubs. Do we know the details of the negotiations? We are talking as if we do.

There have been reports that the Cubs offered the most, then I believe the Rays (who are even stingier than the Twins) offered the second most. They didn’t list who was third so it’s possible they weren’t even third on the offer list.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

There have been reports that the Cubs offered the most, then I believe the Rays (who are even stingier than the Twins) offered the second most. They didn’t list who was third so it’s possible they weren’t even third on the offer list.

gotcha. thanks

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

If you scroll back far enough you’ll find people saying it was a “malpractice” for the Twins not to offer Cody Allen a 1 yr deal for $8.5 mil.

Well he was DFA’d today so some may get their wish of adding him to the ‘pen!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If you scroll back far enough you’ll find people saying it was a “malpractice” for the Twins not to offer Cody Allen a 1 yr deal for $8.5 mil.

Well he was DFA’d today so some may get their wish of adding him to the ‘pen!

Yes, sometimes moves don’t work out but you can’t deny they should have done a lot more with their bullpen. They claimed they were satisfied with what they had and now they are going to have to deal with that choice.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

You can have your WAR tbro. I’ve seen them blow enough games already to know they need help.
    Twins are 26-1 when leading after 6 innings, so yes, I will take my WAR! Bullpen has done wonders thus far.

Didn’t even have to go back a month for this gem TBro! Perhaps your folly was using an antiquated stat like Wins and WAR… whistling jester

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

That’s fair, can never have too many reliable guys down there

As always, there should be plenty of solid bullpen options on the market come July- hopefully some with experience in October.

And if you would have scrolled juuuust a bit further you would have seen that I agreed with mahtofire that arms needed to be added to compete in October. Clearly stating that at that point they had been doing well. Try again, Bigwerm!!

And I’ll state again, as I have before (several times actually) that I agree that arms will need to be added. Just dont think Kimbrel nor Allen was the correct choice. Ken Giles, Greg Holland, and Will Smith are all having GREAT years for poor teams on a 1/3 of the money of Kimbrel.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Time to trade Sano for a quality relief pitcher before his OPS gets so low he won’t be worth a reliever.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

17 innings last night and a walk off hit by Kep. That’s a long freakin game.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

You got to give the bullpen credit for that Victory last night.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I watched the last 3-4 innings last night. Sure is nerve racking when both teams run out of pitchers. A few mental miscues made it a little frustrating to watch.

JoeMX1825
    MN

There have been too many mental mistakes the past few games, Rocco might need to kick them in the a$$ a bit next practice…it also seems like the strike outs have gotten out of control lately…why aren’t we seeing more bunts with these insane shifts that seem to be the norm nowadays? My god Carpenter from the Cardinals the other night got a stand up double via a bunt…

update – hmm, maybe this is why we don’t see more bunting ) https://twitter.com/i/status/1141115922180124673

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I watched a good chunk of the game through the 9th, including the botched 6th inning where they managed to not score. It was frustrating to watch, but also a good competitive game and glad to see the Twins kept their composure. I was surprised to see today that it went 17 innings!! Great win!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Time to trade Sano for a quality relief pitcher before his OPS gets so low he won’t be worth a reliever.

Careful now! If the fat kid keeps striking out, Dutch will be back here to rip on him. It is frustrating watching him whiff but he has missed a lot of games over the last few years so I have him on a long leash. I think he needs to take more mental breaks and the contact will come around. I mean we watched #7 roll grounders to the left side for 5 years! He just needs to get in a zone and his confidence will return.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The umpire wasn’t helping Sano much. He called quite a few balls outside the box strikes on him last night

JoeMX1825
    MN

Sano hasn’t even hit 100 at bats this season, but it looks like teams now have an updated profile on his hitting tendencies, so it will be upto him to fix the hole in his swing…the nice thing is that it seems our hitting coach knows what he’s doing so I expect Sano to get back on track soon…

It kinda looks like the HR totals have gone to the players heads lately and they are all trying to hit HR’s vs making good contact like they were doing the first few months of the season…They’ll get back on track…they’ve also faced some really good pitching lately so that is a part of it too…

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>
    That’s fair, can never have too many reliable guys down there

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>
    As always, there should be plenty of solid bullpen options on the market come July- hopefully some with experience in October.

And if you would have scrolled juuuust a bit further you would have seen that I agreed with mahtofire that arms needed to be added to compete in October. Clearly stating that at that point they had been doing well. Try again, Bigwerm!!

And I’ll state again, as I have before (several times actually) that I agree that arms will need to be added. Just dont think Kimbrel nor Allen was the correct choice. Ken Giles, Greg Holland, and Will Smith are all having GREAT years for poor teams on a 1/3 of the money of Kimbrel.

1/3 the money, but we will have to give up assets to get them. I would love for us to get Giles, but they will be hoping for a good package, he’s not a free agent until 2021. So you are trading for a year and a half of him, not just a few month rental.

Look what the Cubs had to give up for a few months of Chapman a few years ago, only a young, likely perennial all-star middle infielder.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It kinda looks like the HR totals have gone to the players heads lately and they are all trying to hit HR’s vs making good contact like they were doing the first few months of the season…

Agreed, especially in the close games they have been swinging out of their shoes. As far as Sano goes, he’s in his own head a bit right now with a lot of check swings. He needs to let his hands go and trust Jobu! rotflol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Sano has never shown an ability to adjust when pitchers figure him out. Guess what? They figured him out already this year. 3 sliders off the plate, 3 wiffs. 3 high fastballs, 3 wiffs. He refuses to change his approach at the plate. Until he does, I will take Marwin over Sano at third every day of the week.

Or a top reliever from another team.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Sano has never shown an ability to adjust when pitchers figure him out.

He’s been with the Twins since he was 16, pretty sure he’s had to adjust some things since then…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

He’s been with the Twins since he was 16, pretty sure he’s had to adjust some things since then…

roll

I’m talking MLB. His minor league career does not matter anymore.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Back to Back dingers.

Not too worried about them swingin for the cheap seats!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

roll

Yeah, I know just giving you a hard time, but still think he’s had to make plenty of adjustments in his MLB time. There’s so much analysis now, if you have a hole they pound it until you adjust. His full season projection (since he never plays a full season) is around .250 with 30+ HR’s and I think everyone would agree he has not come close to reaching his ceiling yet. If they traded him I wouldn’t be devastated, but it would reflect poorly on the org yet again as they have been promising him as the savior for about a decade now.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Hey Sano already made one adjustment last night. He left those gaudy anchor chains he wears around his neck, in his locker! Baby steps…..

Dan
    Southeast MN

This issue would be HUGE if they weren’t one of the better teams in baseball and his K’s were hurting a lot more. As some have mentioned, some people like to pile on Sano without remembering some of the injuries has had and thus less prep time than others. Still he’s not coming through lately and you can tell he’s frustrated, so continuing to do that in big spots isn’t doing anyone any good. Why have him continue to do that? We’ve got all the help we need at the big league level, let him go try and smack around AAA pitchers for a few weeks. Maybe he gets confidence back and into a groove, maybe not.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

ive been watching games here and there and agree we seem to be making less contact then earlier in the year and we aren’t coming through with RISP lately but our #7 hitter in the batting order is not the cause of our demise. The reason people are so hard on Sano is because the expectations were set so high. Change your perception of the player and you may find there isn’t a big reason to hate him so much. As others have mentioned he just turned 26 years old.

Personally i’ve watched enough pitchers in my time go from lights out to garbage from one year to the next i don’t want to trade Sano for a relief pitcher unless its someone who has proven he is going to be consistently good year in and year out. I’m not sure if any of the names being floated around in trade talks fall into this category.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Astudillo starting at 3rd over Sano tonight. Probably a good move. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but this team has more than 9 “good enough” position/DH players that they can ride the hot hands vs. riding someone out because they don’t have any other options.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

roll

Yeah, I know just giving you a hard time, but still think he’s had to make plenty of adjustments in his MLB time. There’s so much analysis now, if you have a hole they pound it until you adjust. His full season projection (since he never plays a full season) is around .250 with 30+ HR’s and I think everyone would agree he has not come close to reaching his ceiling yet. If they traded him I wouldn’t be devastated, but it would reflect poorly on the org yet again as they have been promising him as the savior for about a decade now.

If he hits .250 and 30 dingers I call it a success. The guy has all the potential in the world. I don’t hate him. What I hate is that he refuses to do anything but swing for the fences. When he had that great run in 2017 he started hitting the ball all over the field and he realized he was strong enough to put it out to right field no problem.

That’s all I ask. The good thing about this team is they don’t need him.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

remember David Ortiz? do we need another reminder

Viewing 30 posts - 451 through 480 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.