Twins 2019

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    Not after this series

This is how a curse is born. grin

Well the good news is I don’t follow baseball closely.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well the good news is I don’t follow baseball closely.

You make it too easy. I’ll leave this one alone. coffee

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Just say it. I don’t know where you are going and I want to know.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There’s probably a wild joke in there.

I see the twins upset the rays again.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Probably? You said you had one. Disappointed!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hmm, I’ll take a split now. ????

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Dang!
    This team is good.
    They’re up 7 zip then give up 5. Come right back and BAM!

At this point I cannot remember a better twins team. There has been Twins teams with better pitching but not all around like this Squad.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Well today’s the day, the Twins can show the fans they are serious about competing and there are no limits on what they can spend (as they repeatedly say). At the minimum sign Kimbrel to a one year deal and bolster the bullpen. Or go big and sign Kuechel too. Neither requires giving up anyone in the system, which is a big additional value imo.

Matt Vogel

Baldelli over manages again and steals the kids first career win…..I like him, but man he over thinks pitching.

I initially thought that same as you at the beginning of the year but the more and more I watch I am starting to get behind Baldelli’s pitching decisions. Baseball is such a sport of momentum that I would rather him pull someone before they start getting roughed up to keep the momentum going. Once they get a couple hits in a row its much tougher on a reliever to come on and strand runners. I think him pulling early frequently is a huge component to the results we have seen.

On top of that I think the way he handles the pitching shows how good of a clubhouse culture we have. The whole team is about one stat, and one stat alone, team wins. When you can build a team with that mindset it foreshadows good things for us in the long haul. I can’t wait to see how this season ends up!

JoeMX1825
    MN

it would be nice to see Twins Management reward the team and FANS by spending some money for once and shore up the few holes this team has for a potential long playoff run!

The other part is the baseball gods need to keep this team healthy!

Matt Vogel

it would be nice to see Twins Management reward the team and FANS by spending some money for once and shore up the few holes this team has for a potential long playoff run!

The other part is the baseball gods need to keep this team healthy!

I’d love to see them spend some money. I think they did a great job in the off-season, now I hope they continue in the right direction mid season. I think Joe Mauer is the real MVP this season because we got a lot of the off-season players due to not having to worry about paying him anymore.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

It will definitely be interesting to see what they do, especially considering so many of the players are signed to short term deals right now.

Schoop: Signed for 2019.
    Cruz: Signed for 2019 w/2020 option.
    Castro: Signed for 2019. Maybe not a concern since we have Garver.

Odorizzi: Signed for 2019.
    Gibson: Signed for 2019.
    Perez: Signed for 2019.
    Pineda: Signed for 2019.

Near future:
    Rosario: Signed through 2021.
    Cron: signed through 2020.

There might not be a better ‘window’ for the Twins. We don’t have a starting rotation next year, unless we sign some of these guys to extensions or play the FA game again.

I wonder if we will see any moves this year to extend some of the guys on 1-year deals.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Nobody only throws a four seam fastball or only a two seam fastball

… except Smeltzer who only threw four seamers vs. the Brewers doah Again, only 3 pitches.

Whether Rocco is “overmanaging” (which he isn’t) or if it’s analytics and smart baseball (which it is) does it really matter? Twins have the best record in baseball. Hope he keeps doing whatever he’s doing now.

Hey I’m more thrilled than anyone that the Twins are back playing really good baseball. But I will go to my grave arguing that analytics are making baseball hard to watch and that the shifting is ridiculous (thank god players are finally waking up and slapping the ball the other way and bunting), hell, we’re turning into beer league softball and using 4 outfielders now, and using 3 pitchers in one inning to get 3 outs is bogus. Should really help those TV ratings jump.

Is there a place for it in the game, yes. Is it good for the game that analytics is taking over. Hell no.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t know. More home runs and strikeouts than ever. Seems like a pretty good game to watch for the casual fan.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t know. More home runs and strikeouts than ever. Seems like a pretty good game to watch for the casual fan.

Problem is there aren’t many casual baseball fans, which is why you have low ratings. If they really think the length of games is the problem, they aren’t doing themselves any favors.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It will definitely be interesting to see what they do, especially considering so many of the players are signed to short term deals right now.

Schoop: Signed for 2019.
    Cruz: Signed for 2019 w/2020 option.
    Castro: Signed for 2019. Maybe not a concern since we have Garver.

Odorizzi: Signed for 2019.
    Gibson: Signed for 2019.
    Perez: Signed for 2019.
    Pineda: Signed for 2019.

Near future:
    Rosario: Signed through 2021.
    Cron: signed through 2020.

There might not be a better ‘window’ for the Twins. We don’t have a starting rotation next year, unless we sign some of these guys to extensions or play the FA game again.

I wonder if we will see any moves this year to extend some of the guys on 1-year deals.

They still have plenty of room in the Pohlad Cap to sign these guys to extensions.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Problem is there aren’t many casual baseball fans, which is why you have low ratings. If they really think the length of games is the problem, they aren’t doing themselves any favors.
    [/quote]

I can only speak for myself and I am a casual fan. If they are winning and are entertaining I’ll watch. When they have the most over paid, over rated, unexciting player that ever put on a uniform I’d rather watch grass grow.

Right now – They are the most exciting team in all of the MBL and I’m watching.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I think the vast majority of people are “casual fans”. There is only a small percentage of people who will watch every single baseball game and know all the statistics like rain man regardless of team talent. And similar to the Wild thread it doesn’t mean you are any smarter than a big chunk of the “casual fans” who only choose to pay close attention when there is a good product on the field.

I will always be a Twins fan, but really only pay close attention when there is at least a chance of post-season play. Otherwise, there are better things to do.

This year, I am watching or listening to games most nights. I like the new coach and the attitude in the locker room couldn’t be better.

Heck of a series to come back and take 3/4 on the road in Tampa.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I will always be a Twins fan, but really only pay close attention when there is at least a chance of post-season play. Otherwise, there are better things to do.

Well then, we’ve got a lot of catching up to do! Since you last payed attention, they’ve moved northwest a little and have a great new outdoor ballpark! Gardy is gone, actually they replaced him with the legendary Paul Molitor, who got fired and now we have a gentleman named Rocco Baldelli. Mauer retired, they tried pine trees then got rid of them now they have something else again, and we now have front office people whose last names you can combine-Falvene.

Man, you’ve missed a lot since they last had a chance of playing in the post season!

lindyrig79

I said close attention.

Just making a general statement about all the “casual fans” statements I see in these threads.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well then, we’ve got a lot of catching up to do! Since you last payed attention, they’ve moved northwest a little and have a great new outdoor ballpark! Gardy is gone, actually they replaced him with the legendary Paul Molitor, who got fired and now we have a gentleman named Rocco Baldelli. Mauer retired, they tried pine trees then got rid of them now they have something else again, and we now have front office people whose last names you can combine-Falvene.

Man, you’ve missed a lot since they last had a chance of playing in the post season!

Speaking of paying close attention. First year at target field they won the division. Everything between then and now is irrelevant.

lindyrig79

Plus you missed 2017.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I know guys. Just a comedic summary of the lack of productivity out of this team in awhile.

lindyrig79

All good. Hopefully they can take care of business against the Tribe.
    toast

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>
    Plus you missed 2017.

The play-in game?

IT’S THE PLAYOFFS BIGGILL, WE MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

IT COUNTS, FLAGS FLY FOREVER.

Viewing 30 posts - 391 through 420 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.