Twins 2019

• bigbeard

Just remember the last two teams who broke the single season HR record did not even make it to the WS. We need to add an ace or two to even contend with Houston or Boston in the American then L.A. in the WS.

My pick- Madison Bumgarner, 29yrs old, will be UFA next season and the Giants aren’t contending. They can have any prospects they want from us! Our time is now, LET’S GO!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Twins will never add an “ace” to make a run. Letting go of their precious prospects is too gut wrenching. Honestly I like this core of Berrios, Odo, and Perez.
    Baseball has changed since the days of old. Now starters barely last 5 innings depending on pitch counts. Arms in the pen are more valuable than starters these days to finish out games. I would rather they add help in the pen as of now but might be a different story come July?

bigbeard

To counter your “Twins will never add an ace”
    It was also said that the Twins will never be a “Power Hitting” club.
    The tides have changed and in the post season, pitching is still king, starting pitching my boy!

Hoyt4
    NULL

Maybe a starter but we need way more bullpen help or this good season will just fizzle out. Yes I would take a good starter any day.

This team is very weak in the pen and needs at least two arms there. Things are ok now but post season we need that pen to be lights out.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Good pitching will always stop good hitting. Especially teams that strike out alot.

blank

Good pitching will always stop good hitting. Especially teams that strike out alot.

Good thing the Twins batters have the 3rd fewest strikeouts!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It’s May 24th. Get back to me the end of August and we will see what things look like.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Our time is now, LET’S GO!

That quote is accurate and what the Twins do in the next month or so should show us a lot of what level of commitment we can expect from Falvene and the Pohlads. Falvene said in the offseason that they didn’t invest a ton of money into the roster (they’re below what they were last year) because they said they didn’t see the value in doing so until the team was established as good. They used the phrase that they will basically go after it more when the “window is open.” Window is open, time to see if they’ll do it. My lifelong history being a Twins fan tells me they won’t, but they absolutely should. They have a (so far) historic team and their proverbial iron is hot. They should do as they advertised, with the window open, and go acquire whatever means necessary to improve this team to take advantage of a horrible division and make a major, deep run in the playoffs.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s definitely going to be interesting to watch. I would be fine with letting anyone but Royce Lewis and Alex Kirilloff go. I just can’t get excited about Nick Gordon. Hits for decent average and steals bases. There are a lot of infielders that can do that. Surprises me he’s still a top prospect honestly.

I agree we need bullpen help much more than starting pitching.

blank

It’s May 24th. Get back to me the end of August and we will see what things look like.

Will do. But I think that 1/3 of the way through the season is a decent enough sample size. Your pal Fat Boy won’t help the strikeout numbers, but we both know that.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It’s definitely going to be interesting to watch. I would be fine with letting anyone but Royce Lewis and Alex Kirilloff go. I just can’t get excited about Nick Gordon. Hits for decent average and steals bases. There are a lot of infielders that can do that. Surprises me he’s still a top prospect honestly.

Both could be special, but either could flop. I don’t know whats out there for starting pitching thats available. I wouldn’t trade either on a rental. But would include them on a established pitcher with contract time left.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Both could be special, but either could flop. I don’t know whats out there for starting pitching thats available. I wouldn’t trade either on a rental. But would include them on a established pitcher with contract time left.

I agree with this. The Twins have a history of trading GOOD players away and holding onto PROSPECTS who have the POTENTIAL TO BE GOOD. All in the name of money. Wouldn’t Pressley be nice right now? He was good, and we traded him away and now we’re looking for bullpen help who is….good. I totally understand the sentiment of not mortgaging the future, but to me prospects have never proven that they can be good at the major league level, and the Twins right now, this year need some pitching (specifically bullpen) help from those people that can succeed at the pro level.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

To counter your “Twins will never add an ace”
    It was also said that the Twins will never be a “Power Hitting” club.
    The tides have changed and in the post season, pitching is still king, starting pitching my boy!

That actually changed once the golden boy retired and the frugal Pohlads were able to turn that 23 million into Cruz, Cron, and Schoop. 2 months in that trio has 30 dongs. I believe it took the golden boy 2 years to achieve that! The pitch to contact/small ball era ended when Gardy finally packed his bags.
    I about spit out my cocktail when I saw he found a home in Detroit with his buddy Rick Anderson! It’s going to be sad watching those 2 stooges teach their ancient philosophy on Detroits future prospects. Have fun with the rebuild D-town!

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Fat kid has power and discipline so far tonight. Got to poke out HR #100 for the season, and draw 2 walks.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

I’m still waiting for the wheels to come off toast

tim hurley

Newly signed players are doing BETTER than expected-BETTER??!! Do I still live in Minnesota?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m taking the lawn chair out of storage and going to give it a nice shining. I may be reserving my spot down on the Mall early next week. toast

It’s like the fences get moved in when the Twins are at bat.

101 Homers!!! Very impressive.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This. For the simple reason that a bad start can be offset by a good offense. Bad relief in combination with a bad start cannot be offset by a good offense. At least not usually.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Raise your hand if you think

Pinada
    Gibson
    Perez
    Odorizzi

will continue to throw this well all season.

I could also add about half the bullpen to the list.

Dan
    Southeast MN

mahtofire14 wrote:

This. For the simple reason that a bad start can be offset by a good offense. Bad relief in combination with a bad start cannot be offset by a good offense. At least not usually.

Not only all that…but if they continue to play even somewhat this good, they’ll be in the playoffs. Once they get there they’ll be on a 3-man rotation, 4-man worst-case scenario. So We don’t need starter 5 and probably 4. We’ll still absolutely use any major bullpen contributor and it’ll be in big spots.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Duh…EVERY TEAM would trade prospects for an established ace who is still signed for a while. Those are the guys you build a team around. That is why the pickens will be Baumgartner types. Trading deadline isn’t until the end of July there may be others available or the Twins might not be buyers by then.

Pailofperch

Dutch, I have zero faith in Pinada. Some in Gibson, a lil more in Perez, and my buddy calls Odorizzi Jeckyl/Hyde. Cause last year at least, you didn’t know which one was gonna show up.

Pailofperch

I’m still waiting for the wheels to come off toast

That’s what we go through with every MN team when they’re winning, right?

Attachments:
    1. giphy-3.gif

welliou

I think and I don’t know much about baseball but the best pickup for the twins has been pitching coach Wes Johnson.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Saw an article where Wes Johnson jokes that as long as his starters can give up 9 runs or less they’ll have a chance.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Raise your hand if you think

Pinada
    Gibson
    Perez
    Odorizzi

will continue to throw this well all season.

I could also add about half the bullpen to the list.

So when exactly will something positive come out of you regarding the twins? Geesh man we have the best record in baseball and we are a joy to watch this year. Enjoy it a bit. Yeah I get we minnesotans are cursed but ya gotta believe in something sometime. I bet if your best friend won the lotto the first thing you would say to him is “have fun paying the taxes on that.”

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You are absolutely right. You have heard the last of me in this thread.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well, if he’s out, I’m in. yay

eyeguy507
    SE MN

1% chance…..you have too much riding on the line with the fat kid jokes.

Dan
    Southeast MN

1% chance…..you have too much riding on the line with the fat kid jokes.

Yeah but if he’s wrong we won’t hear from him about it. If you want proof, look at the Gophers thread and his PJ Fleck bashing last year.

Viewing 30 posts - 331 through 360 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.