Twin Cities Fishing/Outdoor Options

• Tony Nigon

Hey guys,

I recently moved back to MN after living in WA for 4 years. I’m attending a graduate Nursing program at St. Kate’s, and looking for some outdoor opportunities close to St. Paul. Really, anything and everything. I used to fish walleye tournaments on Pool 4 but the last 4 years have been spent focusing on steelhead in the PNW, as well as kayaking and mountain biking.

Main question is, what fishing opportunities are there close to Saint Paul for a person without a boat? I have kayaks and a pac-raft if that opens up any options.

Thanks for any and all replies!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Welcome back, Tony. Pool 2 of the Mississippi is open year-round, catch and release only for walleye, sauger, pike, large/smallmouth. Shore fishing can be found below the Ford Dam at Hidden Falls, or on the other side of the river where Minnehaha creek empties into the river. Some good shore fishing also on Pike Island at the confluence of the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers, accessible via Fort Snelling State Park.

I saw a few paddlers out on the pool 2 yesterday, but it’d be tough sledding to fish in the current.

Once the season opens up, take your Kayak down to Pickerel Lake near Lilydale, just on the other side of the river from Saint Paul. Drag spinners around and you’ll catch some sizeable Northern.

Tony Nigon

Awesome options! Thanks for the info!

404 ERROR
    MN

If you’re into mountain biking (like you stated), take the trail from Mendota Heights by Lucky 13’s with your gear. The trail goes along the MN river. I have never brought my gear along to fish it, but always have wanted to. Welcome back.

Jeff Fitzpatrick

A kayak on the city lakes is a great way to go. Electric motors only so you don’t have to worry about boats mowing ya down. Calhoun, Harriet, Isles, and Cedar are all solid fishing lakes.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I have just recently moved to St Paul and have been doing some shore fishing in the area. Haven’t got into any fish yet, but wouldnt mind someone to look for new spots with! Also, I am a registered nurse in town so I many be able to help some with any nursing questions!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Man, by the sounds of it we need to start a nurses of IDO calendar
    rotflol rotflol rotflol

I am not sure who our market demographic would be though ha.

404 ERROR
    MN

No offense to anyone…but I would be out for that calendar…Perhaps my wife would like one?

doah

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, on the plus side, fishing the metro could have newly added convenience.

Catch fish AND have someone look at that nasty rash that’s been bugging you…

Grouse

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>evan_pheneger wrote:</div>

Well, on the plus side, fishing the metro could have newly added convenience.

Catch fish AND have someone look at that nasty rash that’s been bugging you…

Grouse

How do you know about my rash!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.