Pattern Results – 20 gauge youth 870

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

After a little research I decided on a Primos Jelly head choke for my daughters 20 gauge 870 express youth. Got her out last weekend to pattern a few different loads. We shot 3″ Hevi Shot blended 5,6,7’s – Winchester 3″ Double X in 5 shot and some real old Remingtons 2 3/4″ 5 shot. The surprise was that the old Remingtons patterned the best. We were able to get from 7-10 pellets in the spine or head all the way out to about 35 yards. The Hevi shot was a close 2nd with around 5-7 pellets in the killing area. The Winchester double X were terrible. with only 1-3 in killing area ( These are the loads that pattern the best out of my 870 12 gauge. Given the cost and extra 1/4″ of shell I’d have expected the Hevi shot to pattern a little better than they did. I was a little unsure if it could have been her shooting but I shot both loads and got the same results. Being that the results were close I may have her shoot the Hevi shot just for the little extra boost. Not sure if those old Remingtons shells have the same power. I guess that is why it is so important to pattern each gun with different loads

alanmdk

We’ve had a lot of success with the Federal Heavyweights 6 and 7’s out of Remington Super Full choke. Even before we did anything to the barrel we had great numbers out to 45.

CW

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.