Turkey gun suggestions?

• thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

I am in the market for a new turkey gun. I want at minimum a 12 ga capable of handling 3″ mags, but am open to a 3 1/2″ or a 10 ga. if it is a good option. Would like to spend around $600 or less. Does anyone have a good suggestions or any ones I should stay away from?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Remington 870 Super Mag Express. If you are looking at pump.

red_lab
    Winsted,MN

Quote:

Remington 870 Super Mag Express. If you are looking at pump.

X2

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

The express is an excellent gun, I also like the Mossberg lineup, very good guns with reasonable prices. Unlike Rifles, you want to spend the money on the choke instead of going full bore on the expensive gun. I don’t use optics and have the same kill success as my hunting partners who spend $400 for holographic sites.

I like to keep turkey guns simple, why spend all the money for a Benelli and expensive optics when the majority of birds are killed inside of 40 yards. Sure the best Benelli and choke and an expensive scope might get you an additional 10 yards, add in some of the heavy shot that can run $10 a shell and you get another 10 yards and you are spending a fortune for the same bird that you could have killed with a $300 Remington Express with ventilated rib and a $2 shell.

I think for some hunters it is a contest to see who can have the latest and most expensive decoys, guns, camo, chairs, and vests. Those things aren’t nearly as important to me as a good slate and box call and knowing how to call as well as patterning the gun to match the ammo to a good choke.

gobbler
    Central, MN

I agree with what the others have said. I bought the 870 Super Mag Express a few years back in some generic camo pattern and basically stole the gun from Gander Mtn. I want to say it was $289.00 or something like that during the Gun Safe sale. I had to add a few accessories but it was only an additional $25.00. The gun can shoot far distances and flipped a Tom in his tracks at 51 yards.

Like Darrin said, you could spend more $$$ for a different brand and accessorize the “you know what out of it”. But why??

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-super-mag-turkey-camo.aspx

I’ve also shot the Mossberg 835 NWTF Edition and really liked the feel of it. I’m not a turkey hunting purist but both guns met my expectations when chasing Toms. I will say the Mossberg had less kick if that is something of importance to you?

Good Luck in your search and keep us posted on what you decide.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I know next to zilch about turkey hunting. Do most of you guys have dedicated turkey guns? Is there a reason for the pump preference (vs. autoloader)?

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

I use the same mossberg 500 pump for turkeys as I do for upland birds since it has a vent rib. For hunters with optics they wouldn’t want to be sighting it in for turkeys and then changing their aim point on it for a slug gun or removing it and then having to site it in again once it is re-attached. It is just a preference thing as far as pump vs auto since it isn’t like waterfowl where you are usually shooting more than one shell in rapid succession. Turkeys are usually one and done.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I use a Mossberg 935 auto. No jams heavy enough to absorb recoil reasonable price. Only drawback it,s designed for 3 and 3 1/2 shells only.which is not a problem for a dedicated turkey/waterfowl gun

Mwal

woodenfrog
    se mn

I prefer autos and use the Remington 1187 Super Mag. Reasonable and comes tapped if you go that route.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.