MN Turkey Tag Purchase

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

I know for MN seasons A-D,one has to draw a permit in the lottery to purchase a tag, but for seasons E-H one can just purchase a tag over the counter.

What happens if one drew a permit to purchase a tag for seasons A-D but did not actually purchase a tag? Could that person then purchase a over-the-counter tag for seasons E-H? Based on what I read on the MN DNR website, it sounds like one could because they would have only purchased one tag.

Thanks,

Boone

gobbler
    Central, MN

Boone-

I read it the same as you do. You should be able to buy over the counter for any of the remaining seasons. Good luck and shoot straight!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Yes – as it was clarified to me at the license center, you can do exactly as you are asking. good luck!

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Thanks. I’ve never drew a permit and not purchased a tag in all the years I’ve been turkey hunting but this year things just got busy with kids track meet and dance competitions, work, etc. and I couldn’t make it out. Sounds like I’m lucky that I didn’t purchase my tag well in advance of my season like I normally do.

Boone

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I know one guy who changed his season last minute. He had to turn in his tag and was issued a new tag. Not sure how the DNR would handle that once the season had passed. I assume they wouldn’t re-issue. I’m sure some folks would play the system and just turn in an unfilled tag and hunt again for a later season.

alanmdk

Interested to hear what happens here.

I would think this would/will be a well abused loop hole if you are able to purchase a tag. Especially with a year with weather like this. I realize this particular situation is not about the weather but the reason for the 8 individual seasons is to control the pressure/access. Of course they already kind of screwed that up with the rezoning.

CW

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.