Turkey Hunting – Do you know?

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you were selected for season C and Hunt season C and are unsuccessful, Can you purchase a over the counter license and hunt that season as well? How about if you do not purchase your season C license? Right now next weekend is not looking good. Current forecast is for another 8-12″ of snow today and tomorrow. This on top of the current 1+ ft of snow they already have on the ground. No temps above 40 Deg. in site. What a crazy year

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Pretty sure you are stuck with season “C”.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Dnr regs say you can change areas or season dates if you bring in your unused tag and pay a five dollar fee. That’s the way I understand it I was reading it on the new regulations for 2012 page of the hand book.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Here is what it says in the statutes. If you hunt season “C”, you are done. It may be possible to change seasons though prior to your season opening.

Subd. 4a.Replacement turkey licenses.

(a) The commissioner may permit licensed turkey hunters to change permit areas or time periods within the fall turkey season, or within the spring turkey season. The commissioner may issue a replacement turkey license if the applicant submits the original turkey license and unused tags that are being replaced, and the applicant pays the fee for a replacement license under section 97A.475, subdivision 44.

(b) A replacement turkey license may be issued only if the applicant has not used the tag from the original turkey license and meets the requirements of paragraph (c). The original turkey licenses and all unused tags for the turkey licenses being replaced must be submitted to the issuing agent at the time the replacement turkey license is issued.

(c) A turkey replacement license may be issued under the following conditions, or as otherwise prescribed by rule of the commissioner:

(1) when the permit area or time period for the turkey license being surrendered has not yet opened; and

(2) licenses are available for the replacement turkey license permit area or time period for (i) areas that are not lottery areas, (ii) lottery areas that have remaining licenses, or (iii) the applicant is a youth hunter age 17 or younger.

gobbler
    Central, MN

Unless things have changed, you can only hunt 1 season (firearms) in MN during the Spring Turkey Hunt. I was on the phone with the MN DNR last year about this very same question. A co-worker didn’t harvest a bird during “C” and wanted to go out again during the OTC season “G”. It’s not allowed because he had already purchased and hunted during “C”. However, if he hadn’t purchased his season “C” tag or hunted prior to season “G”, then he would’ve been able to buy a tag for season “G” and hunt.

So, you better make up your mind if you don’t plan to hunt next weekend and get it changed before “C” starts or you might be out of luck.

*I would call the DNR and get them to answer this for you.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Turkey
    • Licensed turkey hunters may change permit areas within the fall or spring season or time periods within the spring season by submitting their original turkey license and unused tags along with a $5 replacement license fee.

• Fall turkey licenses will no longer be distributed by lottery.They may be purchased online, by telephone and wherever hunting and fishing licenses are

This is what I was talking about this was copied and pasted from the regs book.

alanmdk

Reason #485 that MN needs to go to an all season tag.

CW

bassville
    Minneapolis MN

Super Do nailed it. I spoke with the DNR information folks yesterday about this. I drew “B” season which starts this Monday and I’m thinking of pulling the plug on it. Planned to hunt around Lake City, I was told I had until Sunday night to find a license machine and pay the $5 to make the change.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.