Lounger or Vest?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like a good day Steve. Nice walleyes. We didnt find any walleyes after the sun cam out. Did go fish the white bass for a while. They sure are fat and fun but you need to watch which way you are holding them or they will leave a big mess in the boat. Sure where a lot of boat out yesterday.

alanmdk

Been debating upgrading from the 10+ year old vest I have to something newer. Serious Improvements have been made in the years since I bought my current one and I’m pretty impressed.

Now the hard part. While the last few years we’ve done our share of blind hunting as the boy gets older he’d rather go without the blind. The seats on the newer vest are way better than the old ones and might be more comfortable than my last one.

The Gobbler Lounger is more to carry around but are highly likely to provide ample comfort that’s sometimes needed to wait out those stubborn birds.

My question for everyone is what are you using for out of a blind hunting?

CW

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I bought my first vest this winter for predator hunting. I got it at Cabelas, but can’t find it online now. It’s got the padded seat and back rest. I will be wearing if for turkey hunting if I get into run and gun mode.

I love the backrest support built into this vest. I generally sit for 45 minutes per call set so being comfortable is key. I gotta believe this will also be a huge benefit waiting out those hesitant gobblers. I’ve only worn it about 20 times, but so far the fit and finish is holding up.

Here is the turkey version of what I have. Turkey Vest

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I perfer the vest myself. I have a small turkey seat with a strap for carrying but I rarely use it anymore when running and gunning. Just one more thig to drag around and I already carry way too much stuff The new vests have a great seat attached.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

i got a new vest before last season and it has a thick, padded cushion thats comfortable. and i like that it is held up with magnets instead of velcro.

but … i still prefer my short-legged, webbed strut seat better. it only weighs a couple pounds and i like that it has longer legs on one side so you can adjust for terrain.

the vest cushion makes a great back rest and its always there for the times i leave my seat in the truck.

john_steinhauer
    p4

I personally don’t use either, I picked up some slate call holders from wal mart “three to be exact. Each one holds two slates and two strikers. I carry four slates and six strikers and the last two slots are filled with mouth calls. It helps me keep down on clutter a vest is great but I don’t find a need for one just clip the call holders on my belt loops and go.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’m a big vest guy, but I know guys that won’t hunt without a lounger. That said, I have seen loungers or chairs cost guys birds because they’re married to them. I hunted with a guy a few years ago who needed the seat so badly he was still setting it up as the bird charged into view at 50 yards.

The trick with a vest is two-fold – get a good one, and don’t pack it so full that you can’t maneuver. I’m a big fan of the Cabelas Tactical Tat’r. Great seat, good padding all around, and more pockets – IN THE RIGHT PLACES – than about anything else I’ve seen, and I’ve owned several of them.

You still can’t pack the belly area too full or it’s tough to crawl. You still can’t pack the sides too full or you catch on every branch you come across. For me, it comes down to the fact that I will always have a few essentials with me no matter what, and a vest best-carries those “essentials”:

-water
    -knife
    -tag
    -extra shells
    -at least one slate/peg
    -at least two mouth calls
    -one box call
    -at least one “different sounding” call – wingbone, tube, gobble-call, etc.
    -at least one locator (preferably owl hooter)

I’m sure I could do without half of that if I wanted to, but I don’t want to. Over the year’s, all of them have played an integral role in at least one hunt, and some items almost every hunt.

Good luck in making your decision!

Joel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.