Launching Arrows

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I just got into a discussion with a buddy who has killed 5 or so turkeys at serious bow ranges. 40-50 yards is a long-shot for a turkey in my book, but he’s done it with consistency up to this point.

Do you guys have similar success at such ranges? What’s your max yardage on a bird? How crazy is this?

Joel

PowerFred

if your friend has the ability to accurately judge distance and to hit an apple sized target consistently, then its not too far. Otherwise, I hope he trades his hunting boots for track shoes. He’s gonna need them to run down wounded turkeys!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Have you ever seen him shoot at that distance? Are these spot and stalk shots or from a ground blind? I’ve shot at turkeys from 30-40 yards and missed Most of them duck the arrow and react to the bow moving or see something funny…A full strutting Tom is a lot easier to hit for obvious reasons.

Turkeys=hardest animal to kill

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I guess I’m not seeing the degree of difficulty. My 400 acres is just south of McGregor, Mn. I have witnessed 30 plus turkeys walk directly behind my truck enroute to the bird feeder. I have even walked out onto the deck 20yards away and these thunder chickens don’t budge.

alanmdk

I don’t have the confidence needed to take a shot at a bird at 40-50 yards. I like to have them in close, but won’t hesitate at 25. Does he shoot deer at 90+ yards too?

CW

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Seem a little long to me, bu tif he can shoot consistent at theat range and apparently he can I have no problem with it.

Myself I wont take a shot past 35 yards at a turkey.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.