Little Bossman Scores at the WI calling contest.

• alanmdk

Had a fun time this weekend at the Dells. The little guy called in three divisions and once again did very well. It was at this contest last year that he made his competitive calling debut with a dead last place. Not a proud moment, but that is one of the main reasons why he chose to call there and not his home state of MN.

Besides the horrible start this past year has been great. He’s put some good numbers up, and has improved greatly. He’s been “calling up” now witch means he’s calling in age groups above him and Saturday in the Intermediate(14-20) he took 2nd and pounded out his flydown cackle to the T.

Right after that in the Jakes division he did another great routine and landed in 3rd place. Again his bread and butter was the flydown, but slightly slow cadence cost him points on his yelps. All the kids who participated were great, and it was a 4 point difference from first to third.

Now for the crowning moment of his weekend, Friday night welcome party hosted a Gobbling and Owl calling contest. Picture being against a former National Gobbling Champ, and against another one of the best open class callers in the nation, and against a legendary Callmaker. Now add in the fact your 8 years old, and the room has a few more people, maybe even 10 times as many as the 20-30 people you normally have to call in front of at a contest. He says he got a little stage fright but he says he did manage to get a good gobble or two out. The crowd gave everyone a round of applause, but in the end Connor was crowned the winner. Let me just say these three other competitors are truly class act guys, and although it may not have been fair they were all very good sports about it.

CW

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That is just AWESOME!!!!

kevin_sahly
    maple grove,mn

Is any of that on video? I’d love to study and learn from him. I definately need practice!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Atta boy!! Congrats and I can’t wait to see you with a bird this spring.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Very cool! Congratulations!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Really cool of those guys to pay homage to a turkey-great in the making. Sorry I missed it, sounds like a blast. Congratulations to the boy!

Joel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.