Turkey Calls

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It kind of depends on which lakes you fish in central WI.

Here’s the link to LakeMaster<<

Click on the WI chip…if the lakes you fish are covered, you’ll be very happy with this chip!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS WELCOME TO IN-DEPTH OUTDOORS!

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Since the Turkey Season is still out a couple of months – I am in need of additional Turkey calling equipment. I am relatively new to Turkey Hunting, which calls do most of you hunters prefer -mouth calls, box calls or slate? Secondly, based on which call you prefer, which is the best call for the price?

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Joel?????

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’ve got plenty of opinions, but I’d like to hear what other people like. I keep learning every year, trying new things here or there. What’s been successful for each of you?

Joel

PowerFred

I carry 1 glass call and 1 slate call along with 6-8 different strikers. The different species of wood and different diameters of strikers makes for quite an array of turkey sounds.

That gives me over a dozen different combinations of sounds to feel out the mood of the birds for any given day.
    One day it will be hickory on glass and the next will be walnut on slate. Versatility is the key for me.

I’m pretty good with a diaphragm when I’m at home, but I get way to dry when a big gobbler fires up and all I can do then is squeak a little! Thats why I use a friction call!

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

I love the box call in windy situations because I can get more volume out my box call…I mainly use it as a locator call. I use a slate mainly early morning to get the toms fired up in the roost. Once the toms are committed and I know they are on their way in, I will switch to the mouth calls so they won’t pick me out using the box or slate calls. I carry 3 – 4 mouth calls with me, depends on which call the toms will respond to that day. Right now I love the Quaker Boy mouth calls. But with any call, I’d use the one that you are confident in and gives you the best results. Both my box and slate calls are waterproof too so I can use them in any kind of weather.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Are mouth calls possible to use for a Guy that can’t whistle

lick

I have a mouth call the another mouth call and then a couple more mouth calls. There maybe a slate in my vest but it’s just for looks

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

A box call, a slate call (with 2 different strikers) and a couple of mouth calls. To me it’s all about “situational calling”. No two calls sound the same even though they are the same call. It’s all about pitch, tone, volume and other characteristics (movement, weather, wind etc…) of why I use one call over another. As they say, let the gobbler tell you what they want. Most hunters (me being one for a very long time) perfect one call and end up killing a bunch of toms. However, the really good turkey callers that I know have 2 or 3 back up calls and they use them with confidence. I personally used a slate call for years and had some decent success with them. The ones that I didn’t kill and got hung up? I just thought that was just the way it is. I no longer think that way and have realized that using another call in that situation can make a huge difference. There are pros and cons to each call. It’s important that you know what they are, however it’s more important that you use them with confidence.

alanmdk

I think Brad summed it up real well.

Confidence, and cadence kills birds. The key in my mind is to know the rythem of the calls, and have the confidence in multiple calls to be able to switch at any moment. Three yelps on the box might get him coming, but rarely will those same three yelps put him in the fryer.

When I first started I carried a lot of calls. Now I am down to the bare minimum in my opinion. A crow, and a trumpet, or a wingbone on a lanyard, a long box, one pot, four strikers, and a few mouth calls. The crow call is the only one I hate to be without, something about locating birds with a turkey call that just don’t feel right for me.

CW

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Are mouth calls possible to use for a Guy that can’t whistle

Not just possible to use them, possible to be very successful with them! Get the thing trimmed correctly for your own comfort, then it’s just time spent playing on the thing until you sound like a turkey. There’s a bit more to it than that, but that’s the basic principle. Here’s a quick piece on mouth calls that will help you get started:

An In-Depth Look at How to Use Mouth Calls

Joel

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I’m no expert by any means and I keep it simple.
    one slate w/2 strikers and 2 mouth calls.

You can over call eaiser then under call

Some of the worst calling I have heard in the woods came from a real turkey

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

Quote:

which calls do most of you hunters prefer -mouth calls, box calls or slate? Secondly, based on which call you prefer, which is the best call for the price?

i prefer all of the above and i always have a tube call with me. and they all have their times and places.

by slate i assume you mean friction call. i dont carry a “slate” with me any more because i just prefer the crisper, cleaner sound of glass and crystal.

to answer your second question … there are dozens of callmakers that put out excellent quality calls in a lot of price ranges.
    i have shot a lot of toms using a primos power crystal and a glass call made by a local callmaker, both of which are about 20 bucks. i carry at least half a dozen strikers of different woods, laminates and a carbon.
    i always have MAD Highball and HS Strut raspy old hen mouth calls with me – both around 5 bucks. plus another couple to test run.
    box calls i have had good success with are the primos heartbreaker ($50) and the MAD mini master ($20).

i currently am looking around for a glass and box in “mid-range” prices. what the hell, i use st. croixs walleye fishing; might as well step up a little and try out a couple new calls.

and like others have said, cadence and confidence in the call you are using is the most important thing. i always tell people to slow down and tone down when calling.

good luck. i am counting the days until season opener april 10.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.