Little Bossmans 2010

• alanmdk

We just finished up our last hunt of the year. Our now annual hunt to Kansas went well with us seeing several hundred birds all in one winter flock. We did manage to get a pair, but boy was it tough. Every time they would see us trying to get close, they would head a quarter mile in the other direction. We had a good time, and it wasn’t real cold until the last day. Driving home in the snowstorm, as the roads behind us were being closed down wasn’t fun, but we made it.

To say Connor, and I had a good year would be an understatement. Our first trip to Kansas last winter yielded a few first for him. It was his first bird, his first Rio, his first Eastern, and he got to see his dad make a one in a million shot killing two birds with one shot with a bow. I can say I was proud of the little guy, and after he took his third bird I knew he was hooked. Over the next few months we set up a few more out of state hunts, and the challenge was set. Finishing his slam and at the same time finish up mine.

The next trip we had was a down to Florida to hunt Osceolas. Lots of road time, fast food, and rest stops. We even stopped at the Gateway Arch. Twice. Once we got there met the guys, saw the property, and got our stuff unloaded it started to rain. Luckily by morning the storm had moved on, and the birds were moving. Connor shot his about 20 minutes after sunrise, but as luck would have it three more Toms wanted to join the party from the other direction so he had to wait to collect his bird. After getting one of the three for myself, we went out to discover that the gobbler Connor shot was a double bearded bird ranking in the top 100 for Non typical Osceola. Pretty lucky for a six year old. After a miss with the bow the next morning we headed home.

Three down one to go. So off to Nebraska we went for the youth season. We saw some unbelievable stuff there. We watched a hen get bred within gun range, never seen it before, and probably never see it again. Connor had a few chances including a bird coming up the slope and peeking its head up at 4 yards, but we couldn’t seal the deal. I had a second trip planed for a buddy and I to go during regular season so we did some changing and back we went. Connor passed on a trio of Jake the firs morning, yes he passed on the last bird of his slam because it was a Jake. The next day we did a little run and gun after not seeing anything in the blind. Walked all the way to the North line of the property, and finally got one to answer back. After crossing four ravines, kneeling behind some scrub cedars for 35 minutes we finally got him into range. Connor put the hammer down at 10 yards, and dropped what we later find out to be a Red Phased Merriam.

Thinking it was just an Eastern we kept hunting for the remainder of the week. We had a few chances, and finally at the last stop before heading home we got him on a Jake.

He was done with his Grand Slam, and I also managed to finished up mine. We put on about 7500 miles, over thirty days on the road, and to say the least it was worth ever minute.

What is in store for the future? The little sister is chomping at the bit wondering when she gets to go…. But that’s a couple years away. For now I’m going to get back in the shop making calls, and Connor has decided to do his first calling comp.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Thats awesome! Congrats

brunowfo

Thanks for posting this its AWESOME to see your boy involved with you in hunting these birds. Those pics are great! Good luck with next year!!!

coppertop
    Central MN

That is some serious turkey hunting! Congrats on your grand slams!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Now that is AWESOME , Congrats

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

It just doesn’t get much better than that! Congratulations to Connor and yourself on your Grand Slams. However, I’m guessing most of the special memories that were built between you two had nothing to do with the kills.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Pretty lucky for a six year old.

The only “lucky” part is that you were willing to spend the time it took to help him do it, though I’m sure you’re the one who feels lucky just to have been a part of it. This is a great story, and I find it extremely rare that any 6 year old would hunt so hard, so long, and cover so much distance to be able to achieve this! Congrats Chris and son!

Joel

alanmdk

Thanks guys!

One thing I will say is that when Connor started going to the blind with me when he was 4 it sure seemed like a lot of work. It also more than likely cost me more than a few chances over the years. It’s the look in his eyes as he picks his birds up, and the chance to see his woodsmanship develope that make it worth while. To steal Ron Shara’s “Remember, introduce a kid to the great outdoors.”
    It’s worth every minute!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Pretty lucky for a six year old.

All I can say is WOW!!! Great story, and I am just hoping to put together a lifetime slam, let alone a one year slam.

Mark

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.