When it gets HOT…

• protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

what do turkeys do? Im thinking about the next few days that are going to be 90+ degrees Do turkeys like thick woods with plenty of shade or do they like to stay in fields etc? would it be worth while to hunt fields they are going to in the morning and then sneaking into the woods?

SteveHuettl
    South Metro

They seem to still be gobbling and strutting in the fields first thing in the morning even with this heat!

We killed this guy this morning at 7:45am. He was in a field and we called him into the woods where they have been “hanging out” during the day. I would suggest moving to a open wooded area with a lot of shade after you get through the morning push. You can still kill birds in this heat as they’ve been fairly active and responsive in the mornings!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Yep, I agree with Passthru. I had one in the yard late this morning utilizing the shade. He was all strutted (“poofed out” for Joel)and he would hammer right back when I called.

lick

Where Steve hunts I’d bet that tom was in the drive thru at Dairy Queen

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

congrats passthru! I figured thats what they are doing. Ive noticed a few are using windrows as cover also. Still have a few days left! Its been really frustrating, been on strutters every morning but its hard to get them to get closer than 40 yards and still

fish509
    St. Michael

Anyone have any ideas. I have been out five out of the last six mornings. I missed two shots with the bow day one. Since then I have been having birds come to within 50-100 yards and hang up. They will stay 20 minutes strutting and gobbling but won’t come closer. I am in a hay field on the edge of a small cut corn field with timber on three sides. Anyone have any ideas or been having the same problem? I have used two hen dekes each day and was considering adding a jake or tom to the mix. When the birds start to leave I get aggressive with the calling and that seems to keep them around longer but they generally won’t commit. Maybe thats just turkey hunting… MAN IS THIS FUN

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Strip the dekes and set up where they’re moving through. You can still call, just do it sparingly and don’t let the dekes hang them up for you. Call too much and you’ll hang them up too. Keep them guessing as to your actual location and eventually one will wander into your kill-zone.

They’re doing what they’ve been trained to do. They see your decoys just fine and strut for them, expecting the hens to come on over. When they don’t, he just assumes it’s like 95% of the other disinterested hens out there.

Joel

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Fish,
    Ive had the same problems like you the last week with a bow. The gobblers are hanging up, not responding to calls, etc. I have left the blind and have started stalking from the first gobble in the morning. I have a perfect area to stalk up on a lone gobbler in a tree. The last two mornings, i have got within 50 yards of lone gobblers and have had them walk within 35 yards of me, but have yet to get them to stop.
    Adapting is key right now, and like a few have said on here with the heat they will move to thicker cover which is close to where they fly down.
    My strategy for the last 2 mornings is this same idea. After the Thursday morning hunt, i plan on moving the blind into the pines and wait for them to come roost. Since it will be the last time, busting the roost won’t be an issue when i leave

lick

Quote:

They seem to still be gobbling and strutting in the fields first thing in the morning even with this heat!

We killed this guy this morning at 7:45am. He was in a field and we called him into the woods where they have been “hanging out” during the day. I would suggest moving to a open wooded area with a lot of shade after you get through the morning push. You can still kill birds in this heat as they’ve been fairly active and responsive in the mornings!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.