Monday bird down

• wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Well this is my first year turkey hunting and it has been an eventfull one!
    I have been scouting for awhile before the “f” season started,I set up my blind on sat. for the hunt on sun.
    I started out in a spot in my woods that would give me a close shot but I would not be able to see very far (maybe 40 yards).I got into the blind and set up by 5;00 am and started calling.I started to get a response by 5:30 and could hear by the gobbles that this gobbler was coming closer.He stopped gobbling back as he came into the thick part of the woods,but I kept on calling.
    At about 6:30 a jake came busting out of the brush and made up 40 yards in about 1.2 seconds after he spotted the Pretty boy and girl.
    Well he didn’t care about the hen decoy,but went straight to the tom and proceeded to beet the crap out of my tom decoy,I tried pounding on the side of the blind and yelling at him but to no avail.
    Well by this time I can see my decoy is getting the crap beat out of it and I ended up letting loose with the shotgun just to scare him off ( this barely worked).
    I tried the afternoon hunt without any action so I decided to relocate closer to the turkeys in some more open hardwoods and wood come out the next morning.
    The next morning came and I am out in the blind calling away with the decoys out.The birds were not vocal at all but I kept trying.
    At about 7:30 i was still calling once in awhile and noticed some movement off to my left “A Turkey”.
    I got my gun up slowly and waited for the bird to clear out from behind some trees and by this time I can see it was a nice tom.
    I made a few clucks to keep him coming,but by this time my pulse is going crazy and my breathing is totaly screwed up (just trying not to exhale into the mouth call).
    I waited for him to come in a little closer as he has seen the decoys at this point and is very interested.
    At about 32 yards I let him have it and he dropped right there .I rushed out of the blind with what I can only decsibe as turkey fever as I was shaking like a leaf ( this was as good as the first time I shot a deer )
    The end result was 21.8 pounds,9 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs “I’M HOOKED”.

lick

Good Job and congrats

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

That’s AWSOME Don! Congrats. When my phone rang Monday & saw it was you, I knew you had a BBD. It was like I was there with you as I could still hear the bird flapping on the ground. Congrats again & Welcome to turkey hunting!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Good Job

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats on your tom!

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Congrats Wildfan on your first turkey! I know exactly what you are talking about when you described your turkey coming into the decoys and you knowing it was going to happen. That is quite a rush for sure…congrats again.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Nice Bird

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Thanks Guy’s,
    That was one of many I hope.
    Don

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

wildfan, Hows the tail doing? Drying up any yet? Post a pic when you get it done. Congrats again!!!

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

No sweat,will do.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

just got back from where the wife will be in the am. Two big toms out there & one had her name on it!! Lets hope the 12ga don’t beat her up to bad. LOL

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats Don on your first tom! BTW – That must of have been one mean jake!

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Good luck Doug!
    Yeah Brad,lucky I had a durable decoy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.