Rough start, but as always, competely worth it

• Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

My rule of thumb is if it comes out easy it’s prob ok, but if it’s really stuck then and comes it’s probably close to breaking anyhow. I always am re-tying even when using fireline.

Big thing to consider is no fish is worth loosing due to lack of re-tying.

bennyj
    sunrise mn

This is a good one. For me, I just inspect the line infront of the jig for about a foot and look at the knot, if all looks good then I will keep on useing it. But if there is any fray in the line or if i think the line had been stretched to the limit I will retie the jig. That a kinda tuff one I have used the same knot all day before on a jig and never had problems.

But I am sure If you are a PRO you would always retie.

If i had a big fish on and I was thinking the knot wouldn’t hold I could always loosen the drag.

I can tie a knot pretty quick. but I think you gotta have some confindence in the line you are using too.

You gotta have a good feel for the line you are using too there is no meter that is gonna tell you when the line is about to break.

Good question

fishing vet
    Blaine, MN

I think that the right thing to do would be to retie, and I always do in a tournament and guiding because it is not worth losing a fish.

I am guilty of not retieing when pre-fishing or fun fishing, sometimes I just let it go.

Just inspecting the line is not good enough cause the knot will actually cut into itself and you can not see the damage that is done.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I always check the line for any sign of damage, if it is, I retie.

Mono is pretty tough stuff, if there is any damage, it will usually show, or you can feel it. Sometimes mono can get over stretched and lose its strength and a section of line will have to come off.. often its time for new line when that starts to happen.

As for super lines, its usually more important to check your hook point than it is the line. It takes closer inspection to see minor damage to braids, but it also takes very close inspection to see damage to the hook point.

There is nothing like casting and missing a few bites to soon realize the point of your hook is doing a U-turn and your not hooking anything… braids are notorious for that.

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

I would re-tie and sharpen the hook. With mono, I would strip some of the line off the reel before I re-tie the hook.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I actually tested this last week, using fireline crystal, I believe It’s 6#, maybe 8# (if they didn’t have 6 at the time), I tell you wait it was unreal, I snagged up a good 6-8 times, each time I was able to pull it free, even bent a hook or two, I never retied, I ended up finally breaking the line when I caught a snag that I couldn’t pull out of, with steady pressure I was moving the boat, it was rather unreal how much I put into it and didn’t have any problems. I finally had to give it a good quick tug to pop and break the line.

Now if it was mono, or I was fishing a tourney, I would’ve retied, doesn’t take all that long, but running the fireline and doing what I did I’ll probably not retie if it pulls free, unless the line is getting frayed. Pretty amazing stuff, I thought for 6-8# test.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jeff:

I usually try to get it off then if it doesn’t, I send down the lure remover. Then I inspect and make hopefully the right decision. I think if I were guiding or tourney fishing though, I would retie.

Mark

superdave
    NE IA

I’ve never had a problem with super line breaking very often, but I do inspect it after a snag.

I always check mono, and usually retie if I can see or feel a problem.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you are using a two piece rod when doing this “point and hold” method, be sure to hold the rod’s tip section in one hand. The recoil from a suddend snap if the line breaks can launch it into the drink. Experience speaking here.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

If you are using a two piece rod when doing this “point and hold” method, be sure to hold the rod’s tip section in one hand. The recoil from a suddend snap if the line breaks can launch it into the drink. Experience speaking here.

I know what you mean ct
    Inventing new swear words is a true talent

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

on mono, I usually pull a few feet passed what was out and retie, on braid, I normally just keep on going, I have retied when I have noticed fraying or nicks, but I normally don’t stop too long to take a look. maybe I should work on that and try to get better at that.

shane

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Anytime I am using mono I remove a good 10 foot of line and retie.

For the most part, my main line is Power Pro which in this case I just retie my knot/knots if I do not find any abrasions on the line.

daniellepearson

i begin my hunt tuesday April 27- evening before the third season of turkey hunting. my dad, Dan Pearson, my uncle, Mike Pearson, and i went up to the farm in hopes of putting a couple of long beards to bed. sure enough, we spot three toms out in the field, saw where they were roosted, and prepared for the morning hunt.

as always, i started off in high hopes of the opening morning hunt and felt confident that at least one of us would be able to bag a turkey. we were very fortunate to have Brad Juaire tag along with us hoping we would be able to get a kill on film. we first set up in the middle of the field we had seen the toms in before, about 200 yards away from where they had roosted the evening before. dad was in one blind and mike, brad, and i were in another next to him. we saw them come out of the roost into the field, however, they stayed well out of range the entire day even after we relocated later in the afternoon- those hens can really mess a hunter up! about 7:00pm or so brad and i decide to head down to the opposite side of the field hoping the toms would give us one last chance before they hit the roost. unfortunately, this was not the case and we headed back to camp for dinner and got some rest for the next morning.

thursday morning, dad and i set up in the blind where we had last seen the toms and brad and mike were down the field from us. right away we had a tom come in view however, he was a very cautious bird and went right between both of our set ups multiple times until a hen finally came and took him away. mike and brad could hear him gobbling all morning, but dad and i could not because of the howling wind. we decided to try and go after him but were unsuccessful. we then went back up the field and down the other side of the ridge to get some relief from the wind and took a nap.

i am startled awake by a hen coming down the side of the ridge i was sleeping on. (dad said if i hadnt moved, she would have come right down on top of me). so we got up and tried to figure out what to do- in the middle of a logging road mind you- when i saw something move down the ridge from us. i put the binocs on it and its a jake with no beard, we then hear a hen to the left of us (she spotted us) and i loss the jake. we traveled down the ridge a bit and heard a gobble. so we set up where dad is on one side of a tree looking down the ridge and i am looking up it towards where we heard the gobble. as i am picking dozens of ticks off of me, i hear dad say something so i turn slightly and ask what he said (he told me not to move..oops!) and i spot the coyote. i get real excited because i have never seen a real live coyote so i turn more and he spots me. he then goes around the other side of the tree and i turned as well, still fascinated, when he sees me again and begins to run up the ridge. before i realize whats going on, dad whips around the tree and i hear the crack of his gun and down goes the coyote.

by the end of the day dad decides it would be best if we just set up in our blind again hoping we would be able to see something since we couldnt hear any gobbling with the wind. again, we come up empty handed and head back to camp. we are now up to 29 hours of being out in the woods.

4:00am friday morning came especially fast and the rainy and windy weather did not help me wake up. the evening before dad and i set the blind up in the field where we had seen the tom that morning. so we head out to the blind, and i am just exhausted. we are barely in the blind for no more than a few minutes and i am already trying to catch some more sleep. i try as hard as i can to keep my eyes open for more than a couple seconds and am unable to do so.

the rain finally stops and i am awake for only a couple minutes. it is about 7:00am and i am not really paying attention to anything out in the field- my eyes are completely glazed over, when i suddenly see a bird out of the corner of my eye stretch out its wings. well, naturally, this get my attention and my eyes widen and i tell dad we have a bird in the field. he slowly turns and looks out the window of the blind and identifies it as a tom. i slowly bring my gun up and take the safety off. i spotted the tom at about 150 yards and he slowly started to make his way towards our hen decoy. i am waiting patiently as i watch him come in..60..50 yards when he starts to head down away from us..i can feel my chances slipping away.

he then starts cutting across in front of us but as he does this he begins to go behind a small hill to the point where i am now only able to see his head. ive got my sites on him ready to pull the trigger whenever he lifts his head up. however, when he lifts his head it is between two corn stalks and i want to double check i am aiming at the right thing so i pick my head up to make sure i am on his head and not on one of the stalks. yep, im on him so i put my head back down and then so does he. this happens one more time and i know i am going to miss my chance if i dont do something soon. the next time he lifts up his head there are no corn stalks to mistake him of so i pull the trigger and BOOM! dad is ready for the follow up shot since i am using my 12 gauge single shot, but there is nothing to follow up on- we cant see anything! after a brief moment of panic, we finally unzip the blind and run over half expecting to see him running down the hill. thankfully, we spot him lying on the ground. dad turns around and gives me a huge hug (the best feeling in the world) and i go over and grab onto my bird to make sure he doesnt get up and run away while dad goes back to the blind to range my shot. it was a 44 yard shot and i found only four bb’s in the head. we finally take some pictures, register him at the local gas station, and i go back to camp to take, what i believe, was a well deserved four hour “nap” my bird registered at 21 pounds, 9 1/2 inch beard, and 5/8 inch spurs (he was not a dominant bird)

in the end i spent 31 hours hunting for my bird and as tired and exhausted as i was, i wouldnt have changed anything. it makes it so much more worth it when i know i have worked my hardest and have earned it.

thank you dad for all of the time you put into helping me prepare for this (and all of my hunting for that matter) and for sitting out there with me. i love every minute of it and enjoy sharing my rewarding experiences with you. Love you dad!

thank you also to uncle mike, i absolutely love hunting with you too! and to brad.. being “miked up” was a new experience for me and it was still pretty cool even though we werent able to get a kill on film.

i had tons of fun and thank God for every opportunity i have to be out enjoying His absolutely beautiful creation.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Good job and persistance!

lick

Great story Danielle

And welcome to the iDo family

Great job Dan and Mike for taking the time to get her involved in the outdoors

Another turkey killing machine in the Pearson family

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Congrats on an awesome bird Danielle

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

I have enjoyed watching you grow over the years. It seems like yesterday when you arrowed your first buck and you turn to me with those big eyes and said…”I did it”. I am so proud of you and just wanted to thank you for sharing the same passion for the outdoors that I do. I am looking forward to many more hunts with you. Keep shooting straight. Love ya Dannir! Dad

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great stuff Dannir!

I spent a ton of hours with Brad this weekend and he had so many positive things to say about you. “That call is giving me a freakin’ headache”

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Truly one of my most enjoyable hunts that I’ve ever been on. There’s not too many hunters that I know who are as prepared and patient as Danielle. She would sit there for hours at a time in the blind , scanning for turkeys while holding her shotgun in a shooting position just in case a tom surprised us. Dan you have done an outstanding job raising Danielle and introducing her to the outdoors. That’s not easy with so many other distractions today for the younger generation.

BIG CONGRATS Danille on your well deserved tom! I have a strong feeling that there will be many more to follow.

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Quote:

She would sit there for hours at a time in the blind , scanning for turkeys while holding her shotgun in a shooting position just in case a tom surprised us.

Funny…when ever she is with me she’s

lick

Quote:

Quote:

She would sit there for hours at a time in the blind , scanning for turkeys while holding her shotgun in a shooting position just in case a tom surprised us.

Funny…when ever she is with me she’s

The truth comes out

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

yeah Gut, Mike and I give her a hard time with regards to her “naps” in the woods. One time she was suppose to have my back while I watched one way and she was suppose to watch behind me. Needless to say you can’t see much when you are focused on the back of your eyelids! Had a tom come in silent from the direction she was suppose to be watching and was in to our set up before I knew it. By the time I got her attention he was on the run and after 3 shots he was still hauling . I remind her of that every season.

All kidding aside…she is a trooper. Even before she was allowed to carry a gun, I had her come hunting with me. She would keep up with me, even when we had to do our running and gunning up and down those ridges in Buffalo County.

daniellepearson

thank you for all of the kind words! ive never been on a website like this and i can already tell i am going to like it its fun listening to others hunting stories and listening to the comments. i know my family (ask mike or dan pearson) like to tell me i can tell really long stories, but i just think it makes the story more interesting that way
    thank you everyone again

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Congrats on a great bird and story

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Again Danielle it was a great time as always. I guess I missed Adam tagging along with us but he had his own season as you know. It’s always a blast sharing turkey camp with you two. And to have Brad along was an extra treat! Hopefully we can do it again next year although I understand your studies may get in the way of that. Thanks again Dannir for a great time and congrats on your bird! Oh yeah, Welcome to the site!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.