My first turkey but not my last!

• nick
    Lakeville, MN

Personally I’d do one at a time, just to be on the safe side.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I just updated my lms-520 and my lcx-27. I wondered the same thing so thought I would give it a shot to put both updates on the card. When the first unit finishes updating, it auto-deletes the update, and takes the other one with it. You need to do each one seperately.

wheel10
    madison, wi

What about if I choose not to have the item deleted after it is installed as propted when you go through the steps to put it on the SD card? I only ask because my computer is at work therefor I could only do 1 a day. Mike

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

If you choose not to have the update auto-deleted you can
    reformat your SD card to install the second update.

The only reason to not auto-delete would be if you had more
    than one of the same unit.

Does that help?

RandySvihel
    St Cloud

It will recomend to delete after it is loaded & will only
    look for the update that is for the corect unit.One at a time the updates are worth it.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

UPDATE: The Garmin Nuvi 250W reman units are SOLD OUT!

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Where to start?

Well first I would like to thank Joel for getting me a bit more inspired to hunt turkeys. I have always been a deer hunter and in recent years have cursed turkeys in my area because of the shear numbers I see in the fall and the noise they make while deer hunting. Well after getting a license a few years back and never even going out I decided instead of cursing them I will go out and try to harvest one to do my part in controlling the population. What I didn’t expect was how much fun I would have in the process!

Last fall I bought a tag and had a great time chasing some birds in the late oct. snow, I was able to sneak up on a couple only to miss them at 30-35 yards with my bow. I vowed right then and there that I would shoot one in the spring and I wasn’t going to be satisfied unless it was done with stick and string!

My season started yesterday with not being able to get out in the a.m. I didn’t hit the woods until around 11 a.m. with my first spot not giving me any response to my calls. After moving to spot #2 a few miles away I immediately see a hen out feeding. After hunkering down and calling periodically I finally hear a gobble in the distance. Well it ended up being 3 toms that never closed the distance closer than about 65 yards, but now I knew where to start today!

This morning I hit the woods at daylight right at the spot I called the birds into yesterday. I preceeded to make a few calls with no response so I started to slowly move back into the woodlot calling a bit to see if I can locate the toms again. After moving in about 150 yards I finally get a call back but its a long ways off. I call again and hear a gobble right back where I started! This bird is much closer so I start to make my way back to him. I get set-up in some brush where I think he isn’t to far off and call again. This time the bird I heard way off in the opposite direction is now much closer and he must be hauling a#$ to have made up that distance so quickly.

I am guessing the new bird is out about 100 yards and closing so I give a few soft purrs with my quaker boy box call and now I can see him. He is coming right at me! Keep in mind I am not set up in a blind I am just squating behind some brush and a fairly large tree, once he gets to about 20 yards I draw my bow and wait for him to clear some underbrush. He is now clear and has no idea I am there so I release. I can tell its a good hit right away and he only runs about 10 yards before piling up.

Not a minute later the other tom I was calling to appears with a buddy and they proceed to tear up my first ever gobbler. They literally ripped all his tailfeathers off as can be see in the pictures. What a great first turkey and it was taken with my bow, no blind or decoys! Stats were 20lb. 6oz. 9 3/4″ beard with 3/4″ spurs. I guess this is about average but will rank hi in my book for the way I got him and being my first!

Thanks again Joel for giving me the call. I used it when searching them out and switched to my box call to seal the deal today. This will defianetly not be my last turkey hunt! Like I said yesterday not quite the rush as a big buck coming running to the horns but this morning was pretty close.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Great Report! It is a blast chasing these Thunder Chickens. It was my 1st year of really setting time aside to hunt Turkeys. Congrats on taking your Tom with a Bow!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great stuff!! I hope I have half your luck this weekend. It will be my first attempt at a turkey with a bow also.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

scottb – Congrats on your first ever turkey! And to get him with a bow with no blind is quite the accomplishment indeed! I use to be a die hard deer hunter and never listened to my barber who for years told me try turkey hunting. Well back in 2000 I finally gave in and listened and have been hooked ever since. Congrats again and here is to many more years hunting the mighty thunder chicken!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Good Job Scott! Nice bird!

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Congrats! Harvesting a turkey with a bow is quite the rush.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Congrats on the nice bird w bow

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Thanks everyone it was a blast, I guess I can see why you guys like this so much!

lick

Wow way to go scott

coppertop
    Central MN

Scott, thats a hunt I’m sure you’ll never forget. At least you’ve got some meat and a beard. Congrats!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Where to start?

Well first I would like to thank Joel for getting me a bit more inspired to hunt turkeys. I have always been a deer hunter and in recent years have cursed turkeys in my area because of the shear numbers I see in the fall and the noise they make while deer hunting. Well after getting a license a few years back and never even going out I decided instead of cursing them I will go out and try to harvest one to do my part in controlling the population. What I didn’t expect was how much fun I would have in the process!

Last fall I bought a tag and had a great time chasing some birds in the late oct. snow, I was able to sneak up on a couple only to miss them at 30-35 yards with my bow. I vowed right then and there that I would shoot one in the spring and I wasn’t going to be satisfied unless it was done with stick and string!

My season started yesterday with not being able to get out in the a.m. I didn’t hit the woods until around 11 a.m. with my first spot not giving me any response to my calls. After moving to spot #2 a few miles away I immediately see a hen out feeding. After hunkering down and calling periodically I finally hear a gobble in the distance. Well it ended up being 3 toms that never closed the distance closer than about 65 yards, but now I knew where to start today!

This morning I hit the woods at daylight right at the spot I called the birds into yesterday. I preceeded to make a few calls with no response so I started to slowly move back into the woodlot calling a bit to see if I can locate the toms again. After moving in about 150 yards I finally get a call back but its a long ways off. I call again and hear a gobble right back where I started! This bird is much closer so I start to make my way back to him. I get set-up in some brush where I think he isn’t to far off and call again. This time the bird I heard way off in the opposite direction is now much closer and he must be hauling a#$ to have made up that distance so quickly.

I am guessing the new bird is out about 100 yards and closing so I give a few soft purrs with my quaker boy box call and now I can see him. He is coming right at me! Keep in mind I am not set up in a blind I am just squating behind some brush and a fairly large tree, once he gets to about 20 yards I draw my bow and wait for him to clear some underbrush. He is now clear and has no idea I am there so I release. I can tell its a good hit right away and he only runs about 10 yards before piling up.

Not a minute later the other tom I was calling to appears with a buddy and they proceed to tear up my first ever gobbler. They literally ripped all his tailfeathers off as can be see in the pictures. What a great first turkey and it was taken with my bow, no blind or decoys! Stats were 20lb. 6oz. 9 3/4″ beard with 3/4″ spurs. I guess this is about average but will rank hi in my book for the way I got him and being my first!

Thanks again Joel for giving me the call. I used it when searching them out and switched to my box call to seal the deal today. This will defianetly not be my last turkey hunt! Like I said yesterday not quite the rush as a big buck coming running to the horns but this morning was pretty close.

No problem on both accounts Scott, many congrats on getting your bird! To have your first bird be one with a bow, the first season you hunt is nothing short of absolutely incredible. Especially the fact that you killed it outside of the blind. I wasn’t that good when I first started out I can tell you that!!!

Like you said, do it once and have an experience like that and you’ll be hooked. It’s really too good not to do. Again, congrats my man, welcome to the group of spring crazies!

Joel

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.