1st Bow Turkey

• mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Sorry but that part of the river is closed to anything but panfish. Opens during regular season.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The locks arent open quite yet. Sometimes they will let you through early if you talk to the lock operators, but they wont guarantee the next shift operator will let you back through.

I was the 1st to go through last year(pleasure craft)

Pool 1 as stated is regular regulations(inland waters). Panfish, catfish, or rough fish is all you can target right now.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

What a day to be afield amongst the turkey’s! The day started out, getting up at 3:45 a.m. Got ready and headed to the spot near Isanti, Mn. I had a good feeling, today was going to be the day. Once we were set up, my buddy suggested not to use a decoy because of what happened on my last hunt. The Tom’s didn’t come into my spread on the last weekends hunt. Around 6:00 am we started with a soft purr followed by quiet yelp. All of a sudden, birds start popping up in the field. I told my buddy, where the heck were these birds a couple days ago. This strategy was to get the birds to come to us. We only called 3 times in 35 minutes. We had 9 Toms out in front of us at about 125 yards. There were 6 jakes, some hens and of course a bearded hen supporting a 7″ beard.

I was looking to the north when all of a sudden, a huge Tom was at 35 yards to the south. I got in position, was a full draw waiting for the Tom to slow down or stop, we clucked at him, he kept on a going with the hen in front of him. My buddy said he was a good Tom, 25 lber with a 12″ beard. I eased down the Bow in amazement on how fast this happened! Now I was fired up. All I could do was sit in the blind waiting for my next opportunity. I was glassing to the east when all of a sudden, there was another Tom to the south. I had to do the fire drill again in order to reposition myself for another attempt at a Tom. Well, this time I was ready. This Tom wasn’t going to get away. We ranged him at 30 yards, drew the Mathews back, then sent the Rage 2 Blade right thru the wing area. He tried to fly, made a cirlce in front of us, only to rest 24 yards upside down. My buddy looked at me as in disbelief, stating “you got him buddy”. What a awesome hunt! This is my 1st Turkey, and with a Bow to boot. It was an experience to hunt with someone who is an veteran Turkey hunter.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Many congrats Craig! Where’s the pics and details on the bird!?

Very happy for you and your friend. I think going out with a veteran turkey hunter is where alot of us got our start. I know I’m forever indebted to my turkey hunting mentor as I’m sure you feel right now also!

Sounds like a great day in the blind.

Joel

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Atta boy Craig!!

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Got this new computer, having problems going to jpg format…….working on it.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Craig:

Well I’ll be patient, I know you want to get those pics up faster than these guys want to see them… Great job!!!

My only disappointment with hunting turkeys in northern WI is that we only get one chance. In order to get a second chance I have to go south. And I would really like to get a chance at ’em with a bow now that I have one to my credit with help, one missed through no ones fault and one to my credit all by myself!!! One of the reasons I got the bow was to kill a Tom!!! Its my next goal!!!

Mark

lick

Nice work Craig Atta boy

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats again Buddy! Pic is now up!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

great job! Rage 2 Huh? It go completely through? Interesting flight path for the bird that ended in a ‘crash & burn”

abster71
    crawford county WI

great job

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

congrats!! way to go on the bowkill!!

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Joel,

The Tom weighed 19.5 lbs, 9″ beard and spurs were 3/4″ – not a huge bird – the one I was full draw at earlier in the morning was a bigger bird. Now I got the fever!

Joel – must of been the lucky NWTF Hat I got at the Turkey Banquet.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Joel,

The Tom weighed 19.5 lbs, 9″ beard and spurs were 3/4″ – not a huge bird – the one I was full draw at earlier in the morning was a bigger bird. Now I got the fever!

Joel – must of been the lucky NWTF Hat I got at the Turkey Banquet.

Craig – I was just going to say, sweet hat!

As for the stats, was just curious, and don’t ya dare make excuses for that bird. Different from deer hunting, at least in my book, any longbeard is a great bird. I don’t think I’d ever pass on one!

Congrats again!

Joel

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Thanks guys!

Joel,
    I may need you to guide me in Wisonsin in a couple weeks. I will be wearing my “lucky” NWTF Hat!

**** I forgot to mention “Kirk Petersen” Taxidermy will be doing a Full Body Mount on this Tom!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

great job

Congrats

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

I had to chance to weigh my Turkey on a scale that was functional – I thought that bird was alot heavier. The weight was 22.4 lbs. No wonder my arm and elbow were sore after carrying that bird.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Congrats on the bow kill thats quite an accomplishment

huntalot60
    wisconsin

way to go , i’m heading out with my cousin in morning. to try to get his first one with the bow

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats Craig! It’s even sweeter that you decided to kill your first turkey with a bow!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Great job Craig!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.