Lights Out

• waterfowler99
    Midwest

Our 2nd season started yesterday, I had the blind set out since last week and ready to rock. The gobbling was crazy and early…5:23 . I had 2 nice strutters launch with a few hens and stay 125 yds above me and show off all morning never leaving them. Four jakes came right in and all took turns on the DSD breeder and put on a good show. The gobbling ceased at 930 ish. At 10:45 a lone hen came into the deeks and spent the next five hours laying next the breeder and jake preening and napping…kinda cool at 7yds I must say. The rest of the day was uneventful until late in the afternoon when I watched 5 strutters down the valley running hens and strutting until just before dark and took them up to roost. It was along 14 hour sit and I had a decision to make.

I thought about it last night and made the decision to head out at 4 am and move the set-up where the birds were chasing the night before. The birds gobbled later this morning and alot less, but they were right where I left them. At 5:55 a lone hen landed above me and by 6:05 the 5 longbeards and several more hens hit the field. It took me about 25 minutes to coax the hens down, but when they commited….the toms made a bee-line. The first one made it to the deeks and I let him have a Grim Reaper sandwich ….he made it 25 yds. What a great morning, I couldn’t be happier.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Awesome!!!

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Congrats on a successful hunt waterfowler!

lick

Congrats and thanks for sharing

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Congrats!! nice picture

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Great Bird Congrats on a great hunt

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Congrats on the succesful hunt…..maybe we should change your signon-name to turkeyhunter99? Awesome! Great work and thanks much for sharing. A bird with a bow is always a challenge, you seem to put up a good number of them! Would love to learn more about your strategy and approach. Any more seasons out ahead of you?

Joel

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

nice!! congrats!!
    way to go on putting the move on them on day 2.

witte
    West Salem, WI

Great trophy with a bow.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats WF99!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us here @ IDO.

How do you like your peep on your bow? I saw Steve H have the same one on the other day when I was down there.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Congrats

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Quote:

Congrats on the succesful hunt…..maybe we should change your signon-name to turkeyhunter99? Awesome! Great work and thanks much for sharing. A bird with a bow is always a challenge, you seem to put up a good number of them! Would love to learn more about your strategy and approach. Any more seasons out ahead of you?

Joel

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I have one more western trip and 3 seasons remaining here in WI. I have been hunting turkeys since I was 12 and only at it with a bow for a couple years now. My thought behind it is I have the mind set that I will get a shot within bow range if I scout the areas and put the time in in the blind. I made the decision to put the gun down for turkeys no matter what…even if it means eating the tag and I have not looked back. I am hooked now, and the sign-on name has to stay—-waterfowl is still #1

SteveHuettl
    South Metro

Congrats again on a great bow bird buddy!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.