My 2010 Iowa Tom

• tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Well all in all it was a great spring in the Iowa turkey woods.

It started out Thursday evening locating birds. My hunting partner and I found a great flock of birds with 5 toms. After putting them to bed, back to the camper we went with high hopes for in the morning. Let me tell you it was a sleepless night. 4 am couldnt come fast enough, We were ready rock.

We got into the blind around 5 am and waited for that first thunder of a tom gobbling. Let me tell you they did, wow made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, kinda like when you see the Pope an Young buck coming at you while you Have that Mathews in the tree.

After the birds came off of roost everything went silent, I mean silent you coulda heard a frog fart. We sat pationetly for an hour with some calling done by me and nothing.

We thought what coulda went wrong, not even a hen would answer. Anouther hour went by and its now 7:30 im thinking we need to gat on the move and make something happen.

I told Jim I will hit the slate one more time, if nothing answers we need to find some birds. So I made the slate talk ever so pretty and I about fell outa my chair. The toms blew up about 10 yards behind my blind.

I was trying to calm my self for the shot as they were moving out into the field. Let me tell you it wasnt easy, anyone who has ever hunted or fished with me knows how excited I get. I mean im a ball of fire after its what is about. This big boy I got come into 20 yards. An the rest was history. He weighed 25lbs, 10 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/4 spurs. Again scouting ahead a time payed off

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Here is a pic of a spur off my bird

lick

Hes a dandy good job Tony

Way to start the year off right

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Beauty bird!!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Great Bird Tony

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

congrats on a heavy bird

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

congrats. nice one, tony.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Impressive Tony Question, do you hold out for a great looking bird ??? Yours are always so nice loooking…nice tails and just pretty I have always wondered ….

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Truly one of these most exciting things when hunting is to have an unexpected gobble come from right behind you!

Congrats Tony on an awesome IA tom!

SteveHuettl
    South Metro

Congrats on a nice bird Tony!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Here is a pic of a spur off my bird

Cool, you took a pic next to a dime

Just kidding, Great Bird

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Actually yes my hunting buddy and I both hold out for a nice tom. It dose mean sometimes not getting a bird. But thats not what the hunt is all about. Its about being out their and enjoying one of the greatest shows on earth.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Great job Tony! I would like to be in the tree with you this fall at BBO when that big boy comes a walking in to see your emotions! Nothing better than a tom or two to wake you up when you think there is nothing around! Great bird buddy!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

That is one pretty fan!!!

Mark

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

WOW! Thats a good one! Congrats!

coppertop
    Central MN

Gotta love those short hunts! Gives you an opportunity to burn up your vacation time on MORE hunts in the future. Congrats on a dandy tom.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

or go fishing!!!

Mark

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Turkey Hunters get the best Tail!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Tony:

What a slob of a turkey!!! Serious respect paid your way from this turkey hunter, as you’ll hunt quite awhile before taking another one that good. The head on him looks massive, can only imagine how he looked like coming in. Many congrats to you, as you mentioned, scouting pays.

Joel

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Nice bird>thanks for sharing the story

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks everyone !

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice bird Tony! 25 pounds Isn’t to shabby eighter.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Wow great bird and story!

CONGRATS ON A BEAUT!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.