Little Bossman is One Away (Osceola Down)

• alanmdk

Started off on a long drive through the heart of the USA a few days ago. Our destination was Osceola turkey country. Along the way we decided to stop in St. Louis to visit the Gateway Arch, and had some fun checking that out. After three days on the road we finally pulled in to TnT Outfitters in Alachua, FL. After taking a quick drive through a great looking piece of land, we set a blind up on the edge of field, and brushed it in good. Two mowed roads led into the field, and behind us was a nice pine plantation. Straight ahead of the blind was a draw full of mature Oaks that lead along the edge of the field to a hardwood stand where we presumed the birds were roosting. With our setup done we drove the rest of the large parcel, and I saw at least 20 “second setup” locations. Confident that we were going to get some sort of action we headed back to the shack for a little rest.

Over night it stormed. I couldn’t sleep in anticipation for the morning, so I got to witness what kind of storms they get with a Gulf wind. It rained, it was lightning, and thundering, and for about a hour I wondered if it might be a hurricane with all the wind.

We wake up the next morning, hit the woods, and get settled in for a little action. The woods was quiet, no gobbling, no yelping, and I was starting to get worried. I started thinking about those other spots we had seen, and then I heard it. One single gobble. All of a sudden out the corner of my eye I catch a bird coming in a flat sprint towards the DSDs.

We had no warning of this bird, the gobble we had heard came from 200 yards across the field in the other direction. We hurry to get the 20ga up on his shooting sticks and Little Bossman takes the shot. The first shot of the trip is just a little off, it knocks a few feathers loose, but the bird takes off. He goes about ten yards, and then spins back around to go after the DSD Jake again. The little guy takes a better aim, and drops the bird right next to the decoy. We sit for a few seconds, and after a few high fives, and one big hug from his dad we start to get out of the blind. I start opening the door, and I see a fist go up from one of the guides who had taken a seat out in the edge of the pines. We settle back in, and then we see them. Three big toms crossing the field and coming our way.

With the little guy tagged out for the day, it was my turn. These birds finally started to sound off, getting closer, and louder. Now I like them close, but the wait was killing me. That final 100 yards seemed to take forever, but once they saw the decoys, and the dead bird they committed to what was the end for one of them. I shot and connected with my final bird of my Slam!

Now this in itself was a great hunt, but the action was not over. We watched for the next 15 minutes as the two remaining birds leave, and come back into the setup. Each time they would go away, and then come right back into our laps. Finally they left for good, and we went to collect our birds.

We took a look at our birds, and soon discovered how great a bird the little guy had killed. It was a nice three year old bird with inch spurs and a pair of beards, one at 9 1/2″ and the other at 7 5/8″. Not a huge bird at 16#, but a definite trophy for any turkey hunter, let alone a six year old boy.

After taking a few pictures we spent the rest of the day at a natural park area near Gainsville. Saw a ton of gators, might have been upwards of a hundred of them, and a cotton mouth sunning out on the path. A turkey was strutting in a pasture where the park patrol keeps their horses, and we got him to gobble for a guy taking some photos. With all that went on it may have been the best day I have ever had on a hunting trip.

One more road trip for Little Bossman next weekend, and I hope we get him on a Merriam during the Nebraska’s Youth hunt.

CW

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Your son looks like he had a blast. Congrats on the successful hunt

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Very nice hunt…congrats to you and you son

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Congrats to the both of you Chris! I’m sure the trip alone, whether you guys killed a gobbler or not, was the highlight for him. The quality of bird he killed is something he’ll learn to appreciate the longer he does it!

Joel

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

What a great hunt, story, photos and a life long memory too! Congrats and thank you for sharing.

coppertop
    Central MN

Thanks for sharing the journey and congrats on a successful hunt!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.