I know its early, but…

• marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Since my spring turkey season is already done, I’ve turned my thoughts to the fall season. I’ve never done it before but have been smitten by the turkey bug.

Have any of you guys ever hunted the fall season? I’m assuming it’s a totally different kettle of fish.

It looks like from the DNR website that a lot of permits go unfilled in the fall. Does anyone have any experience with the fall season?

lick

fall is a whole different ball game as turkeys are in there “family groups” heres how i do it i bowhunt the evening listen for them to go to roost wait untill about 1 hour after dark go back in under the trees they are in let outa coyote howl till they fly in all direstions and split the flock up slip back in the morning and set up in the same roost area wait a little while the birds should be very vocal after being split up some yelps clucks and kee kees should put em right in your lap otherwise the birds are very patternable in the fall in where they roost and travel too and from feeding places so you could set up in travel areas also trail cameras can provide vital information also good luck fall hunting can be a blast

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I haven’t, I’m too busy in the stand.

But Good Luck if you get out!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Since my spring turkey season is already done, I’ve turned my thoughts to the fall season. I’ve never done it before but have been smitten by the turkey bug.

Have any of you guys ever hunted the fall season? I’m assuming it’s a totally different kettle of fish.

It looks like from the DNR website that a lot of permits go unfilled in the fall. Does anyone have any experience with the fall season?

Marble – You bet, there’s alot of extra tags usually the later season in MN. I think part of the reason is that the birds aren’t very vocal this time of year in terms of the gobblers ripping it up after hen calls.

For years, I was fond of saying “If I wanted to hunt turkeys like deer I’d just hunt deer.” However, like gut is talking about, there are ways to scatter the flock and call them back to you. Not only is this more rewarding in my opinion, it simply takes away from the drudgery of simply waiting for one to walk by. Don’t get me wrong, hunting travel corridors, paying careful mind to food sources will kill alot of birds in the fall. It’s just kind of a let-down compared to the spring hunt.

That said, they’re a tasty critter, and a worthy challenge. Esp. when you’re trying not just to beat one pair of eyes, but many. I try to get out every fall now, and combine it with an archery deer hunt. It’s not spring-time for me, but it’s rewarding enough that I try to do it every year!

Stay tuned, I’m sure we’ll be talking more fall turkeys right about when the deer guys are getting a little nutsy.

Joel

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Stay tuned, I’m sure we’ll be talking more fall turkeys right about when the deer guys are getting a little nutsy.

Yeah like RIGHT NOW!

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

I used to do a lot of bowhunting, but as the kids aged and I had more activities to follow and coach, the bow went on the shelf and has been there for too long. I was thinking that a deer and turkey tag in the pocket would double the fun of sitting in a blind with stick and string.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.