Shot my first Rio!! 2 away from my grand slam…

• bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

Great advice and tips you point out on this show

AlabamaBT

I went on a guided hunt just a few weeks ago with H.U.N.T.E.R.S. 24/7 and Drop Tine Hunts. I had the time of my life. Out of 25 hunters, 19 got a bird, 17 long bears, and 2 jakes. All 25 hunters took a shot. We hunted in Cleo Springs, Oklahoma and the weather was horrible, yet we still saw more birds then I’d seen my entire life. I can’t wait to go back next year. On the first morning, we saw 60 but couldn’t get a long beard close enough to shoot. That evening I had a decent shot at a jake but with big Gobblers in the distance, I used my patience to let it walk. The next morning on the last hunt we were stalking a group of Turkeys about 200 yards away. We were about to crawl over a ridge when a hen stuck its head up not even 15 yards from me. Suddenly over 100 turkeys flew over us. We had no clue a group of turkeys was that close! Of course they spooked the other group so we moved to the next spot. We got in a good spot and hit the call, hens were cutting around us in every direction! I just knew big daddy long beard was coming. We heard a gobble on the other side of a tree so I threw my gun up to my shoulder, an older jake walked out. It was very close to being a Tom with its 6 and a half inch beard, but it wasn’t quite there. With time ticking down I pulled the trigger, let’s just say he had a major headache. It wasn’t the 12 incher that I wanted but it was the hunt of a lifetime and I got my Rio Grande Turkey! :cheers: I also won a free Bird Hunt in Arkansas by winning a skeet shooting contest. Not to mention: Realtree decked us out in all new camo while Primos loaded us up on some new calls. Here are a few pictures:

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats AlabamaBT! Sounds like an awesome hunt! That’s a lot of birds…

big_g
    Isle, MN

nice job Bama

lick

cool story bama congrats on the rio

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Way to shoot and that is alot of birds at one time.

AlabamaBT

Thanks a lot guys! And yeah it is a lot of birds. Those guys from drop tine will put you on them! I’m going back next year to get a long beard rio and try for a merriam’s turkey! I hope to get my grandslam before I turn 19

coppertop
    Central MN

Sounds like they have turkeys like we have geese around here. Congrats on your RIO!

AlabamaBT

Quote:

Sounds like they have turkeys like we have geese around here. Congrats on your RIO!

Where do you hunt?

AlabamaBT

I posted a more detailed story in the contest thread!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

First off, welcome to IDOHunting! Second, great work on those birds. Even in areas where the birds are thick, you still have to do everything right, and there’s never any guarantees. I esp. liked all of the photos.

Good luck on your grand slam goal, and let me know if you find a quality Osceola opportunity.

Joel

abster71
    crawford county WI

that’s stakn’em

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.