Any advice for poor weather?

• lars
    Rochester, MN

I see that my whole season has rain forecasted, besides sitting in a blind all day, any suggestions?

lick

fields is your best bet when the turkeys cant hear in the woods i believe they get out where they can see but they wont “talk” much unless the rain breaks then they dry out and may get vocal good luck have to hunt hard

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I think it always depends on the type of rain/day. If it’s a light rain with mild temps, or better yet, intermittent sun shower type stuff you’re good to go. Like gut mentioned, those types of rain will bring birds to the fields to pick crawlers and bugs. They’ll however avoid any field with vegetation that’s too thick or high. They don’t like their feathers/feet wet any more than they have to.

Make use of the sound of rain drops, along with the quiet woods that’s no longer tinder-dry, and really put the sneak onto birds. At this point, you can get closer to roost areas in the morning, and closer in the woods to them before you setup to do your calling.

Hard rain, thunderstorms, or wind/rain is a different story. I’ve found that these situations drive birds into the woods. Heavy wind/rain drives birds into deep ravines or the protected face of hillsides about 1/2 way up.

The problem with rain is more that of the turkey hunter, then of what the rain’s doing to the birds. It’s hard to stay comfortable, and that keeps alot of people out of the woods.

Gamehide makes a great lightweight rain jacket that stuffs into it’s own pocket. When the rain lets up, just pack it up and throw it in the back of your vest. The freedom sleeves are nice for mobility too, esp. when positioning for a shot. Whatever you do, invest in some quality raingear for turkey hunting. Sooner or later you’ll need it, and the packable stuff goes anywhere with you.

Gamehide Turkey Hunting Rainwear

Joel

AlabamaBT

I would say, use your loudest call. I killed an eastern in 30 mph winds and rain. It was hard though, didnt get vocal until about 20 yards. You have to do a lot of stalking as well

lars
    Rochester, MN

The weekend still looks bad . But I will put the advice to good use(hopefully) get the rain gear on and check some fields out.

Thanks—–Lars

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Lars – You also might want to check out the woods. In doing alot of scouting for my brother’s hunts today, didn’t observe a single bird out in the open today. Rain was hard though at times, and I ended up bumping some birds from a hillside “bench” where they were stacked thick. Nothing special about this flat except there’s usually acorns in it.

This rain’s bringing out a ton of tender green shoots as well, which may also keep them in the woods. Thought I’d relay what I saw today in the hopes that it might help if you haven’t filled your tag already.

Good luck!

Joel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.