Purring with a mouth call….

• jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Tiger eye jigs. Sportsmans Whse has them

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Thanks guys you guys are awesome for all the info, love this site.!!!! From Jeff

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

How good do these jigs actually work?

col._klink
    St Paul

Buy one shine it up and compare it to any other product without batteries. It will be a winner hands down.

They work for me. This is my go to jig on Red Lake. Or any other stained water.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I agree they glow like no tomorrow out of the box.

As far as Red Lake Glow Red Genz worm…

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’ve always wanted to but could never do it. Joel mentioned doing that in a post today and it got me thinking about it again! Any tips on how to do that? I can do it on my slate but would be very benificial to do it with a mouth call as well. Joel…you have any pointers? Anyone else? Bueller….Bueller??

kevinbrantner
    West Central Wisconsin

Use a call with fewer reeds and roll your tongue. It takes lots of practice!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’ve seen guys do it with their lips, and I think the soft, contented purrs/whines actually sound better when you vibrate your lips.

However, I can’t seem to master doing it that way, and use the back of my throat/tongue to do it. Practice “gargling” without water in the back of your throat, and roll that northward towards the back of your tongue. Best way I can describe it.

I know it’s in my throat, because after coming down with Strep on Monday, I still can’t purr. Hopefully that comes back before Monday when I hunt!!!

Joel

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks guys for the pointers…I can start driving the wife and kids crazy AGAIN with new calls to work on!

sorgy
    Southwestern PA USA

I was also in the same boat. I could never purr with any diaphram call. I finnally found a call that I can purr with this season. It is wrapped in bright yellow tape and called a stagger 3. It worked so good when I was just looking I noticed a stagger 4 and bought it as well.
    I can make nice yelps, cutts and even purr (I can call like a champ in the car but with the pressure on I will dry up and choke on that darn call )
    The reeds on the call seem to vibrate just enough on the tip of my toung.
    I found the calls at a major fleet store in both Oakdale and Blaine.
    Now if I can only find the first one I bought. I don’t seem to notice much sound differences between other calls by the same maker.
    All the guys out for this first season are making me very envious…. I do what I can waiting for my chance to do the archery hunt in 1 month
    I spent $10 on black latex paint for the inside of my Eclipse blind—- so all you guys out there keep giving tips — some of us are taking notes.

Good Luck with the purring….

Steve

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks for the heads up and tips Sorgy!

kevinbrantner
    West Central Wisconsin

Quote:

I was also in the same boat. I could never purr with any diaphram call. I finnally found a call that I can purr with this season. It is wrapped in bright yellow tape and called a stagger 3. It worked so good when I was just looking I noticed a stagger 4 and bought it as well.
    I can make nice yelps, cutts and even purr (I can call like a champ in the car but with the pressure on I will dry up and choke on that darn call )
    The reeds on the call seem to vibrate just enough on the tip of my toung.
    I found the calls at a major fleet store in both Oakdale and Blaine.
    Now if I can only find the first one I bought. I don’t seem to notice much sound differences between other calls by the same maker.
    All the guys out for this first season are making me very envious…. I do what I can waiting for my chance to do the archery hunt in 1 month
    I spent $10 on black latex paint for the inside of my Eclipse blind—- so all you guys out there keep giving tips — some of us are taking notes.

Good Luck with the purring….

Steve

Here’s a link to one on ebay. It’s made by HS Strut. Is this what you’re talking about Steve?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HS-STRUT-TURKEY-CALL-STAGGER-3-PREMIUM-FLEX-DIAPHRAGM_W0QQitemZ320359313131QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320359313131&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I just take a cat along with me when I hunt…

oops… wrong kind of purring…

sorgy
    Southwestern PA USA

Yes it is the HS Stagger 3 and 4 both worked. something about the reed purred for me. I cannot get any other call to purr.
    Good Luck

Like I said I would choke on the thing as the birds were comming in.

Steve

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i figured out how to do it last spring WHILE i was in the blind Its about gargling with your throat and lips like mentioned before. I hope i still can do it this year, i haven’t used a diaphram call since

AlabamaBT

I can purr with my promos mouth call no problem. Hunting easterns in south Alabama, it’s a call vital to learn.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Welcome to IDO Hunting AlabamaBT!

AlabamaBT

thanks a lot!
    btw, i meant primos but I guess ya’ll picked that up

lick

welcome to ido bama

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.