Turkey strut zone

• marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Due to kids, juggling schedules, etc…I haven’t been able to scout my hunting area to the extent I would like. Having hunted it a couple years ago, is it safe to assume that a field where I witnessed strutting then would be a good bet again this year? Nothing has changed with the field since then.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Are you hunting in the morning or night? If both, try to find where they are roosting at night. You could shock call em to see where they are and figure where to sit in the morning. I would bet that you have a good spot!!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Are you hunting in the morning or night? If both, try to find where they are roosting at night. You could shock call em to see where they are and figure where to sit in the morning. I would bet that you have a good spot!!

tanders
    Rush River, WI

Dan, we have “honey holes” on our land that consistenly produce birds year after year and have done so since we first started turkey hunting. But, we also have spots that are only good at certain times of the spring. For instance, we have a field on top of a hill surrounded by woods, that is great hunting usually for the first three seasons. The last three seasons we will hunt our lower field in the river bottoms. We beleive that in the last three or so seasons, most of the hens are bred, and laying in the bottoms, and the toms are following them down there.
    I would say that if it is a field surrounded by woods, or mostly, that you will probably see birds there again, and it is a good place to start! Good luck and happy hunting!

tanders
    Rush River, WI

Dan, we have “honey holes” on our land that consistenly produce birds year after year and have done so since we first started turkey hunting. But, we also have spots that are only good at certain times of the spring. For instance, we have a field on top of a hill surrounded by woods, that is great hunting usually for the first three seasons. The last three seasons we will hunt our lower field in the river bottoms. We beleive that in the last three or so seasons, most of the hens are bred, and laying in the bottoms, and the toms are following them down there.
    I would say that if it is a field surrounded by woods, or mostly, that you will probably see birds there again, and it is a good place to start! Good luck and happy hunting!

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Thanks for the comments. It worked! I dropped my first…a 17 pounder with a 5″ beard. Nothing huge, but it wasn’t a baby either. Of course my buddy had to go and show me up by shooting a 21 pounder with a 10″ beard and nice big spurs. His was a first, too. Not a bad day!

And I actually sat right where I had seen birds in previous years.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Thanks for the comments. It worked! I dropped my first…a 17 pounder with a 5″ beard. Nothing huge, but it wasn’t a baby either. Of course my buddy had to go and show me up by shooting a 21 pounder with a 10″ beard and nice big spurs. His was a first, too. Not a bad day!

And I actually sat right where I had seen birds in previous years.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.