Tungsten Jigs – What Size?

• gonehunting

Ok. Just getting into crappie and sunfish ice angling more. What size tungsten jigs are you using for both? I’m sure this is a personal preference thing. I generally use a couple waxworms on sunfish jigs and same for crappies but often times a crappie minnow hooked near back of minnow. I appreciate any assistance before ordering large quantities of any. Thanks for any advice.

curleytail

For me, almost always 4 mm with a smallish plastic.

Sometimes the Custom Jigs and Spins 4.5 mm Chekai can be a good slightly larger size for crappies. Sometimes a 5mm will work but for some reason fish never seem agressive enough to really nail that for me.

Finicky bluegills I’ll sometimes go to a 3mm.

Bread and butter, day in day out, bluegills and crappies for me, a 4mm works well.

Ryan Wilson

I use anywhere from a 2.5mm to a 5mm. Mostly depending on time of season, day, mood of the fish, and how eager I am to tie on another size. Also depends on what rod I’m using. For my TUCR Precision Noodle’s I use 2.5mm-4mm and on my TUCR Bullwhip I don’t use any tungsten jig under 5mm.

I’d start by getting a variety of 3mm-5mm jigs (maybe 10 or so) with most of them being 4mm. I’m a big fan of Fiskas jigs and prefer to order from them direct but there are a handful of quality jigs out there. Quality tungsten jigs will be relatively expensive though. If someone wants more than $3 for a 5mm jig, look elsewhere.

Also, to really utilize tungsten jigs to their fullest potential, you must remember that since they are heavier than lead jigs of a similar diameter that means you are able to fish a smaller tungsten jig with the same reactionary cadence as a larger lead jig. What tungsten jigs really do for us is they allow the angler to offer a smaller profile while keeping the weight, action, and response of a larger “lighter” profile.

When comparing tungsten to lead jigs, don’t think of tungsten jigs as “twice the weight at the same size” as lead jigs. Think of them as “half the size with the same weight” as lead jigs. That’s where using them for finicky fish can really pay off because you’re thinking about it differently. It’s all about jig control at minuscule sizes. When we are trying to imitate a bug that is virtually weightless, how do we even begin to do that successfully with any jig?! Well, tungsten really helps with that dilemma and if you think about tungsten jigs like I said above, your brain will have an easier time discerning the proper applications for those tungsten jigs when transitioning from traditional lead jigs. Believe it or not, but there IS a learning curve. It’s slight and often overlooked but it’s an important one if your goal is become a better angler by understanding what your gear is actually doing for you.

BackwaterICE

2-6mm depends on the bite and the depth

Fishbonker

Is there a common conversion for mm/oz?

For example a 4mm tungsten is 1/16 oz?

Some are listed with hook size as well, is there a commonality between manufacturer’s hook size, weight of the tungsten jig and diameter of the jig?

I saw this post this AM before I went to the local tiny box store to get some arrows, they had a couple of boxes of tungsten ice jigs on sale. None of the brands were listed by millimeter size. The closest I could come to deciphering the code they used was the ones marked 1/40th oz were teeny tiny and would be impossible for me to thread.

Same as the OP I’m just getting started in ice fishing so any info is appreciated.

maddogg

Here is what I found.
    3mm is .5 gm or 1/16oz
    4mm is 1gm or 1/8 oz

Fishbonker

Here is what I found.
    3mm is .5 gm or 1/16oz
    4mm is 1gm or 1/8 oz

That was fast, thanks for the reply.

So is it safe to assume then that 5mm would be 3/16th and 6mm would be 1/4 oz? Can it be that easy?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Isn’t an eighth ounce 3.5 grams???? 😂

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Hahaha DT👍

gonehunting

Thank you for all the replies. Very helpful.

maddogg

Sorry my previous post was wrong.
    This should be better.

2mm .11g 1/250 oz #16
    3mm .5g 1/56oz #14
    4mm 1.1g 1/26oz #12
    5mm 2g 1/14oz #10
    6mm 3.25g 1/9oz #8

Dima

Millimeters (units of length) to ounces (units of weight) with unknown volume is not a very reliable conversion system. )

The volume of the profile will be different depending on the shape of the profile all the time, and sometimes significantly.

Also, different manufactures use different tungsten alloys that will differ in density, therefore in weight.

Here is correlation of size in millimeters, weight in grams and ounces, and hook sizes for another product:
    http://www.raremonster.com/product/tungsten-jigs/

My favorite site is 5mm (~2 grams ~1/14 oz). Small enough for finicky fish and heavy to be sensitive even in great depth and extreme cold.

What I see, people use mostly 5 and 4 mm and 3mm when the bite is slow.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

They are all so small who gives a -?

usmarine0352

I use anywhere from a 2.5mm to a 5mm. Mostly depending on time of season, day, mood of the fish, and how eager I am to tie on another size. Also depends on what rod I’m using. For my TUCR Precision Noodle’s I use 2.5mm-4mm and on my TUCR Bullwhip I don’t use any tungsten jig under 5mm.

I’d start by getting a variety of 3mm-5mm jigs (maybe 10 or so) with most of them being 4mm. I’m a big fan of Fiskas jigs and prefer to order from them direct but there are a handful of quality jigs out there. Quality tungsten jigs will be relatively expensive though. If someone wants more than $3 for a 5mm jig, look elsewhere.

Also, to really utilize tungsten jigs to their fullest potential, you must remember that since they are heavier than lead jigs of a similar diameter that means you are able to fish a smaller tungsten jig with the same reactionary cadence as a larger lead jig. What tungsten jigs really do for us is they allow the angler to offer a smaller profile while keeping the weight, action, and response of a larger “lighter” profile.

When comparing tungsten to lead jigs, don’t think of tungsten jigs as “twice the weight at the same size” as lead jigs. Think of them as “half the size with the same weight” as lead jigs. That’s where using them for finicky fish can really pay off because you’re thinking about it differently. It’s all about jig control at minuscule sizes. When we are trying to imitate a bug that is virtually weightless, how do we even begin to do that successfully with any jig?! Well, tungsten really helps with that dilemma and if you think about tungsten jigs like I said above, your brain will have an easier time discerning the proper applications for those tungsten jigs when transitioning from traditional lead jigs. Believe it or not, but there IS a learning curve. It’s slight and often overlooked but it’s an important one if your goal is become a better angler by understanding what your gear is actually doing for you.

Wow, great post.

I learned a lot from that. Thanks.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

When I first started fishing I ordered a prepack of sorts from Custom Jigs and Spins it came with a jig case. You might want to look into that it was a nice assortment and they were all tungsten. Still use most of them today… but had to reorder some. LOL.

I would go with Gold as first option. If you can find the hammered tungsten from Acme Tackle those are awesome.

Connor Erhardt

If your fishing a 1/250th size tungsten… get off your ass and start moving. Theres fish that will eat somewhere.

Jay Johnson
    Morrison, IL

I’ve had no problem catching crappie and bluegill with 6mm tungsten jigs. They get back down to the bottom and keep the line straight. They work especially well in open water while drifting in the boat. I tip them with a Berkley gulp alive 1″ minnow. Crappie have big mouths so I don’t know why it seems like everyone goes small. Bluegill can also eat a 6mm jig. I bought a bunch of 6mm jigs recently for about $1.60 each. I did also get some 5mm jigs.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20211113_153630524-scaled.jpg

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Amped outdoors has a good selection of tungsten jigs at a good price. I bought there 30 jig deal the last 2 years and they seems hold up very well.

Justin riegel

Amped outdoors has a good selection of tungsten jigs at a good price. I bought there 30 jig deal years the last 2 and they seems hold up very well.

X2

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

4mm is my standard, up to 6 and 7 mm for deadsticking minnows. Have used 2 and 3 mm for finicky cisco or panfish

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.