Tuned Up Custom Open Water Rods

• Hunter Blowers

Has anyone used TUCR new open water rods yet? If so, what presnetations would you say work best with each rod? How do you like them? Thanks in advance for any help!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Has anyone used TUCR new open water rods yet? If so, what presnetations would you say work best with each rod? How do you like them? Thanks in advance for any help!

I’ve been using a TUCR Apex series 6’8″ MXF and I really, really like it. It will hold it’s own against any of the big name brand’s top of the line rod and the cost is quite a bit less than say, a G Loomis NRX, etc.

The Apex I’m fishing is a fantastic jig fishing blank and it is, without question, my favorite Rippin’ Rap rod I’ve used to date. I’ve also used it in the recent smallie show where we fished tubes and it worked great. Overall I’d say it is a very versatile rod and I plan to add at least one more like it so I can have a “matched pair” in the boat.

nord

Anyone know where they get their blanks from?

tucrs
    NW Metro

We normally use Rainshadow blanks Rx7+ and Rx8.

Soon to have some Rx9 blanks in our hands as well.

We also have access to North Fork Composites as well.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Rain shadow blanks are sweet. I wrapped a couple a couple years ago for a friend and he’s really been impressed with them.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I picked up a rigging rod (7’2″ MLF) and jigging rod (6’8″ MXF) just before opener and they are flat-out awesome rods. I also talked to them about customizing a panfish rod for me that is in-between UL and Light action with a fast tip which has me very very excited!

Will

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hunter Blowers wrote:</div>

I’ve been using a TUCR Apex series 6’8″ MXF and I really, really like it. It will hold it’s own against any of the big name brand’s top of the line rod and the cost is quite a bit less than say, a G Loomis NRX, etc.

The Apex I’m fishing is a fantastic jig fishing blank and it is, without question, my favorite Rippin’ Rap rod I’ve used to date. I’ve also used it in the recent smallie show where we fished tubes and it worked great. Overall I’d say it is a very versatile rod and I plan to add at least one more like it so I can have a “matched pair” in the boat.

i was curious for reference so i looked up the price of a G Loomis NRX and needless to say i almost barfed! i know im on the cheap end with my 50-100$ rods and i may someday spend 200-250$ on a nice custom rod but never ever will i see the day where a 500$ rod will become something i even consider

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I hope to work with them on building a Dropshot rod that I have in mind. I want to have one built on a baitcasting design with a spiral eye wrap. I spoke a little with John I believe about this idea. I just have not got up to their area to stop in and talk more on the design. If they build as nice of a open water rod as their ice rods I’m sure they do excellent work.

nord

They have great tip action. I had two, now down to one. One is at the bottom up by the damn at Red Wing. flame

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I fished with a rainshadow blank in the 7’10” range that was set up for casting cranks — it was awesome. Does TUCR have any ideas for a crank casting rod? There aren’t many good spinning options on the market.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

i was curious for reference so i looked up the price of a G Loomis NRX and needless to say i almost barfed! i know im on the cheap end with my 50-100$ rods and i may someday spend 200-250$ on a nice custom rod but never ever will i see the day where a 500$ rod will become something i even consider

The Apex is nowhere near that expensive. I just used the Loomis as an example of a high end rod. I agree, $500 is too much for a walleye rod with so many quality options to choose from for a lot less money.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

We normally use Rainshadow blanks Rx7+ and Rx8.

Soon to have some Rx9 blanks in our hands as well.

We also have access to North Fork Composites as well.

In looking at the color is it safe to assume they are built on the Revelation line from Rainshadow? Or did you have a custom blank manufactured for you? I am also curious the performance comparison between the Immortal and Eternity versus the St. Crowd SCV (Legend Elite and Legend Extreme) series. They look like really nice rods! I’ve become very fond of Recoil guides on open water rods, adds hardly any weight to the blank.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Revelation – Avid/Legend tournament
    Immortal – SC5
    Eternity – NFC

That is how I compare them.

Swing up at the shop one night and I can show you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.