Tumble Drumm fish scaler

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Anyone use a Tumble Drumm fiah scaler and if so do they work well?
    I was just watching a show where they scaled perch and it looked like it worked well. Does it work on crappies?
    I love the skin but hate scaling a fish.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I was just watching a show where they scaled perch and it looked like it worked well. Does it work on crappies?

never heard of a tumble drum fish scaler??????? but I do own a cyclone fish scaler and yea it works good. I,ve only used it on sunfish but works awesome. fleet farm used to have them.

mine is basically a 5 gal pail and cover. has a stainless ring inside it with jagged perferartions on it. has a paddle that runs thru the middle that you attach a drill to it!!! I highly recommend it.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Back in the heyday of Perch in Lake MI most resorts had one…..Hand-made jobs..
    They worked well……
    I’ve seen the ones glenn57 mentioned for sale on Fleet Farm….I might have to check it out….

glenn57
    cold spring mn

If your into scaling your fish its the cats meow!!! I’d recommend a 1/2 inch drill. Depending on size of fish can easily scale 20 to 25 fish

pan-man

I have had one for 5 years.
    Absolutely love it!!

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

It works great on Crappies and Gills and takes about 15 minutes to do 20 decent size fish. Perch take longer to do. You will have to experiment with it to get it the way you want.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

It works great on Crappies and Gills and takes about 15 minutes to do 20 decent size fish. <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Perch take longer to do. You will have to experiment with it to get it the way you want.

:?::?::???: 15 minutes????? it would be fish soup. i’ve never had to run it longer then 3-4 minutes!!!!!!!!! in my experience anyway!!!!

ld123456

I have one and it works great for all panfish. 25 fish take about 20 minutes , perch maybe a little longer like stated before. Been using it for years.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

My grand parents have one. a guy my grandma used to work with made it. worked like a charm. perfect for the sunnies would beat up the crappies a little had to be a bit more careful with them. 5 gallon bucket attach a lid to. paddles go around.

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

Sorry it took 5 minutes not 15 to do the crappie and gills. Typo Perch took up to 15.

pan-man

I have had one for 5 years. Absolutely love it!!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Interesting thread as this is somewhat of a rare product. Saw it advertised years back in Outdoor News. It was produced by some outfit in Fergus Falls MN, that also made some other novel products like rattle reels made out of wood. The fish scaler hooked me because of the big bluegill graphic on the side of the bucket. Tried it one time and we were scaling the bluegills’ with a spoon after about 10-15 minutes of the “miracle product”. Could be we had low power on the drill, or didn’t spin it long enough or we put the whole fish in sans head and guts instead of fillets…anyway that big bluegill on the side of the bucket sold it!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I did not have good success either. Tried it a few times then threw away the inerds of the device and kept the pail. crazy

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

I saw one used for scaling perch on Larry Smith Outdoors last week and it looked pretty slick. Then I looked at the price tag and thought, “I’m good.”

rswan
    Lakeville, MN

I use one. Really like it. Perch are tough and take awhile. Old paper lips scale up real fast. I recommend it; I like fish skin on my fillets!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.