TUCR Ice Fishing Rods

• Hunter Blowers

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a few new walleye rods from TUCR. I fish mostly Red Lake and LOTW out of portables and hard houses. I am interested in the precision power, dead stick and precision ice rods for my needs. So here are my questions,

Would you recommend the precision or precision power for my fishing situation? Or do both have their place in different situations, if so where does each rod excel?

What length rod would you recommend for fishing in portables and hard houses? I was thinking between 28-32″. And actually considering splitting the difference and ordering 30″ rods?

Also while jigging I use the pistol grip, and am used to full length cork handled rods, but since my jigging style would fit the split grip is that something to consider? Is it comfortable in your hand? Do you feel more bites with the split grip?

Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing your feedback and input!

Hunter

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I have a 32″ Precision with an EVA split grip. I love the rod. Very comfortable in my hand an no issues setting the hook in my portable. I use up to 1/4 oz spoons on it, any heavier and you would probably have to go up to the Power. Personally, I wouldn’t go any shorter than a 32″, once you get used to it and not having to crouch over the hole when you jig, you’ll almost wish you went to a 36″.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Precision works fine for LOTW and Red as long as you aren’t using big baits. I normally am using 3/16th – 1/4 oz rattln flyers/buckshot spoons on LOTW and the Precision handles them fine.

If you are a jigging rap or 3/8oz+ lure user then you might want to look at the power precision.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Would you recommend the precision or precision power for my fishing situation? Or do both have their place in different situations, if so where does each rod excel?

What length rod would you recommend for fishing in portables and hard houses? I was thinking between 28-32″. And actually considering splitting the difference and ordering 30″ rods?

Also while jigging I use the pistol grip, and am used to full length cork handled rods, but since my jigging style would fit the split grip is that something to consider? Is it comfortable in your hand? Do you feel more bites with the split grip?

Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing your feedback and input!

Hunter

I could have only 1 rod for ice fishing hands down it would be the Precision… It is light enough to fish even the smallest of spoons but has enough backbone to handle pretty much anything you’re going to encounter in 95% of your walleye fishing situations.

Phil hit the nail on the head about the Power Precision.. When it begins to shine is once you start to fish heavier lures (Rippin’ Raps, jigging raps, 3/8+ spoons) and it also helps to drive the hook home in depths of 30+ feet where you’ll experience some line stretch.

For length if you’re in a larger house (such as an Otter Lodge) the 32″ works great, if your in 2-man (Otter cabin size) 30″ is perfect, and if you expect to be fishing out of a 1-man I would say 28″ may be best.

In regards to the split grip rods they are awesome for pistol grip fishing… The only rods I fish now with a full cork handle are the ones I use for a deadstick because the work better with the Otter rod holders.

Hope that helps!
    Will

PS – TUCR has a new rod this year called Commander which is somewhere in the between the Precision and PP that is designed specifically for fishing Rippin’/Jigging Raps… It may be exactly what you are looking for!

Hunter Blowers

If you were going to fish a lot of jigging raps and ultra light ripping raps and spoons on a rod, would you go with the precision power over the precision?

Al Case

After the 1st few posts in this tread and the first paragraph in your post, Will…..I was thinking “I’m going to get myself my first TUCR rod this winter and it’s going to be the Precision”. Then, you hit me with the Commander. Now, I’m going to have to get one of each!
    Al

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

If you were going to fish a lot of jigging raps and ultra light ripping raps and spoons on a rod, would you go with the precision power over the precision?

If I were only to buy one rod specifically for targeting walleyes my choice would be the Commander… I had a very limited opportunity to check one out a few weeks ago I think it will be a perfect rod for bridging the gap between a lighter spoon rod and a heavier Rippin’ Rap rod.

Will

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

After the 1st few posts in this tread and the first paragraph in your post, Will…..I was thinking “I’m going to get myself my first TUCR rod this winter and it’s going to be the Precision”. Then, you hit me with the Commander. Now, I’m going to have to get one of each!
    Al[/quote

Odds are after you buy your first TUCR you will own more. I never dreamed I would own a jigging rod in this price range until I had one put in my hand. That’s all it took to notice the difference. Then after fishing it I was the one hooked.

steuben1
    Indiana

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Al Case wrote:</div>

Al[/quote

Odds are after you buy your first TUCR you will own more. I never dreamed I would own a jigging rod in this price range until I had one put in my hand. That’s all it took to notice the difference. Then after fishing it I was the one hooked.

Completely agree! You buy one TUCR, you might as well be welcomed to the addiction.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Oh great now I am going to have to add the Commander to the rod box.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Already have a commander on order…….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.