Trucks…..

• James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Anyone Running a 450 or 550 type truck?
    4500 5500 etc?

Looking at those sizes as well to haul a slide in camper and pull a Skeeter.

Thanks.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

350 properly equipped would be more than fine in my opinion. If you get too low of gear ratio. All of your mileage will be horrible. A properly equipped “1 ton” can handle around 30,000 #s these days I believe. How much does the camper weigh? Boat? Length combined?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Are you planning on winning the mega millions jackpot?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Obviously, if your looking at that size of truck, your looking to haul some miles each year. I have a slide in and pull a bass boat with a duramax/2500hd. The only thing I wish I had done was add the air bags. For $600 to about 1k, they make a difference. I’ve driven a few trucks with air assist suspension with max loads and they really handle well

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only thing I wish I had done was add the air bags. For $600 to about 1k, they make a difference.

Ghastly a slide in for my F150 a few years back and added air bags about a year or two of driving without. HUGE difference. Huge.

One beautiful thing about air bags is that you can offset a slightly uneven load and level the camper (and truck) when you are parked.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

1 of my work trucks is a 16 f550 and it’s a amazing truck. I haul around a 17xxx pound cat generator, and 8000 lbs brokk. Plus a water buffalo. And tons of tools. Truck never disappoints me.
    Now for double hauling trailers. I bet a 350 450 or 550 would all do fine. But the bigger truck obviously will out perform. Like mentioned above the air bags make a huge difference. Just dont be like a lot of people and think because it’s not squatting it can handle the load. I see guys with half tons do it a lot. The trucks gears arnt built for it either is the braking system.

B-man

I’d look into a 3/4 ton or 1 ton instead.

You don’t need a super heavy duty truck for a pickup camper.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

And you would probably need a good dentist cause when running empty, they can rattle your Molars right out of your Skull

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

And you would probably need a good dentist cause when running empty, they can rattle your Molars right out of your Skull

Yep. We have a couple f-550 flatbeds in our local fleet. They are torture to ride in empty.

At a minimum you want to have the 100 gallon fuel cell full (700 extra pounds), but it only helps a little.

Our televising trucks (550’s too) are about maxed out for payload. Those actually ride pretty nice, but they aren’t far from 20,000 pounds curb weight lol

Plus they all are geared super low. Top speed is around 75 mph and the motor is screaming…..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.