Truckers convoy in Canada

• mojogunter

Donald G. McNeil Jr.
    By Donald G. McNeil Jr.
    Published May 27, 2020
    Updated July 13, 2020
    “How did I meet Larry? He called me a murderer and an incompetent idiot on the front page of the San Francisco Examiner magazine.”

Speaking as he passed through a fever check on his way into the White House, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, recalled some of his fondest memories of his friend Larry Kramer, who died early Wednesday morning.

Nearly every anecdote in our brief interview had the same plot: the country’s best-known AIDS activist publicly abusing the country’s best-known AIDS doctor — and then privately apologizing afterward, saying he hadn’t meant it, that it was just how to get things done.

“It was an extraordinary 33-year relationship,” Dr. Fauci said. “We loved each other. We would have dinner. I would go see him in the West Village, he would come down to Washington.

“But even recently, when he got pissed at me about something, he said to some paper, ‘Fauci’s gone over to the dark side again.’ I called him up and said, ‘Larry? What the….’ And he’d say, ‘Oh, I didn’t really mean it. I just wanted to get some attention.’”

Nobody stirred up attention for a cause quite like Mr. Kramer did.

An open letter to the San Francisco Examiner in 1988, Dr. Fauci said, was the first time he’d heard of Mr. Kramer, a playwright who had founded two activist groups: the Gay Men’s Health Crisis; and Act Up, the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power.

Addressing Dr. Fauci in the letter, Mr. Kramer wrote: “Your refusal to hear the screams of AIDS activists early in the crisis resulted in the deaths of thousands of Queers. Your present inaction is causing today’s increase in HIV infection outside of the Queer community.”

“I thought, ‘This guy, I need to reach out to him,’” Dr. Fauci recalled. “So I did, and we started talking. We realized we had things in common.”

Mr. Kramer’s name-calling wasn’t personal, Dr. Fauci explained.

“I was the face of the federal government. I was the one out there trying to warn the public, and he was, too. That was his way of saying, ‘Hello? Wake up!’ That was his style. He was iconoclastic, he was theatrical — he wanted to make his point.”

Over the years, they were often asked to appear together, often on television news programs.

“We were on ABC’s ‘Nightline’ and Ted Koppel asked me about AZT,” Dr. Fauci said, referring to the first anti-H.I.V. drug. “And Larry said, ‘You guys in the government don’t know anything. You’ve got it all wrong!’”

Dr. Fauci would get in a cab to go home, and later the phone would ring. “It would be Larry saying, ‘How do you think we did?’ I’d say, ‘Larry, you just trashed me in front of 10 million people.’

“And he’d say, ‘Oh, I was just trying to get some attention.’”

As they became friends, Mr. Kramer tried to push Dr. Fauci into joining him in activism.

“During the administration of George H.W. Bush, he told me, ‘Tony, you should chain yourself to the gates of the White House,’” Dr. Fauci said. “I said, ‘Larry, how would that help? I can go talk to President Bush any time. He’s a friend.’

“He said, ‘You should still do it.’”

In 2001, with Mr. Kramer suffering from both hepatitis B and side effects of his H.I.V. medication — he had the disease for at least six years before effective triple-drug cocktails became standard practice — Dr. Fauci became his doctor.

Mr. Kramer had told him he was not doing well, and doctors were baffled.

“I said, ‘Come to the N.I.H. We’ll work you up.’” Dr. Fauci recalled. “He was really at death’s door. We realized he needed a liver transplant.”

Mr. Kramer went on a transplant list. But there was a public debate over whether he should get a scarce donor organ, because patients with H.I.V. had long been considered less likely to survive, despite the introduction of effective medications.

And at 66, Mr. Kramer was older than a typical transplant candidate. Nonetheless, he got a new liver that December at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

That not only set a precedent for H.I.V. patients and older patients, but also abruptly reversed the decline in Mr. Kramer’s health.

“He really bounced back,” Dr. Fauci said. “It gave him multiple more years of life.”

The relationship between the two men played out in Mr. Kramer’s literary works as well as in his political activism.

Mr. Kramer’s autobiographical play in 1992, “The Destiny of Me,” includes a character based on Dr. Fauci.

“He’s named Anthony Della Vida — Tony Of Life,” Dr. Fauci said. “He told me he wanted the actor who was playing me to come down to Bethesda and go on hospital rounds with me and learn my mannerisms.

“He made the character a mix of goodness and rigidity. To him, that’s the federal government — rigid.”

“On opening night, he invited my wife and me, and he’s so sensitive about our friendship,” Dr. Fauci added. “I was standing around at the reception afterward with all these activists — Peter Staley, Gregg Gonsalves, Mark Harrington — and he comes up to me sheepishly and says, ‘Do you hate me?’”

“I said, ‘What, Larry, it was a good play.’”

“He said, ‘Well, I was a little hard on you.’”

“I said, ‘Larry, you’re always doing that to me, anyway!’”

castle-rock-clown

So, should a guy who researches, develops,builds and sells fishing lures be allowed to enter fishing tournament s???

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>castle-rock-clown wrote:</div>
    I’ve been following Fauci’s recommendations and so have the people around me. Zero hospitalizations, zero deaths, zero severe sickness. Batting a 1000.

I’ve been doing absolutely opposite since day one and so have the ones around me. We have the same results. Wild how that works. Im downtown daily in and out of jobs and around different people all day.
    Crazy how we have the same exact result

Why are we not dead, sick or hospitalized

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    Not many around the world believe a word coming out of the US either. coffee

Yep today everything is a conspiracy ?? LOL

Conspiracy? No, but not everything is the truth. Do you believe everything reported on……..

Covid
    Ukraine
    WMD’s (at the time)
    Afghanistan
    Oil
    Gas
    Climate Change
    Military strength
    ect, ect.

The Government in dealing with outside forces is no different than the people here….each spewing their owns beliefs and what they want you to believe. If you believe everything said by our government to be the truth you are the fool. It’s a narrative, plain & simple.

Deuces

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Npr had a podcast on protests, and one touched on the aids epidemic and even the liberal npr laid out the narrative it’s pretty hard to ignore that until the “activists” got involved there was little progress happening.

It’s really an interesting piece from a historical perspective. I’ve given my kid who is fairly active in the BLM and AIM movements multiple sources to look into on how to put together an emotionally moving protest. Gravestones, human ashes , rainbow flags and powder, Fauci was even burned in effegy himself. Blocking roads is pretty caveman when it comes to what past protests have come up with.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Are we still saying this protest falls in line with our beliefs of what amounts to peaceful legal demonstration?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

To the best of my knowledge nothing has been burnt down.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

To the best of my knowledge nothing has been burnt down.

Certainly that has to be taken into account but that isn’t the only qualification

Umy
    South Metro

From Bearcat:
    I’ve been doing absolutely opposite since day one and so have the ones around me. We have the same results. Wild how that works. Im downtown daily in and out of jobs and around different people all day.

Why are we not dead, sick or hospitalized

Us too – plus I spent 18 months providing care for the essential workers and their families and handing out food to hundreds of people every other week.
    I don’t mask, lick my fingertip to open the plastic bag in the grocery store after I handle the cart handle, don’t use hand sanitizer…..
    I sure as hell don’t drive around in my vehicle, alone, with a mask on.
    I genuinely ask the same question….

B-man

Add me to the list of anecdotal evidence.

Nobody that I’ve been close to has been hospitalized, let alone vented or died.

My mother-in-law went to the hospital to get checked out, but they sent her home the same day.

I mentioned it earlier, but I’ve been to four funerals in the past two years (all of which were in 2021). One for cancer, one for a heart attack, one for a tragic drowning of a teenager, and one for a 78 year old obese former smoker who had Covid as a contributing factor.

A staggering 5-15 people are dying “with” Covid in Minnesota every day.

An additional 120 people die everyday in Minnesota NOT from Covid…. Read that again.

Half of the people who have died in Minnesota “with” Covid were in “long-term care facilities” and living day by day before it was even here.

It’s time to move on, the susceptible population has already either gotten over covid or died. The people that want to be vaccinated have been vaccinated. Most of the people that SHOULD be vaccinated already are. The people that want to live their lives free, should be allowed to do so.

Heart Disease and Cancer pose more of a risk for our population. Last I checked we weren’t forcing people to eat healthier and exercise or to be screened for cancer. And we are most definitely not threatening people’s jobs over either.

For people under 50 years old, OVERDOSE IS the leading cause of death. Not heart disease, not cancer, NOT COVID.

I have no problem whatsoever with people wearing masks on their own accord, or choosing to be vaccinated.

All I ask is for them to stop shaming people for not doing either, and let children go to school without muzzles.

There are far greater concerns to worry about if you enjoy worrying.

#pureblood

B-man

So, should a guy who researches, develops,builds and sells fishing lures be allowed to enter fishing tournament s???

Sure he can.

But should everyone in the tournament be forced to use only his lures?

Would their day job be threatened if they didn’t?

Or could they just choose their own baits instead….or maybe opt out of the tournament if his lures were mandatory…?

castle-rock-clown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>castle-rock-clown wrote:</div>
    I’ve been following Fauci’s recommendations and so have the people around me. Zero hospitalizations, zero deaths, zero severe sickness. Batting a 1000.

If you look into my post, I didn’t say that none of us have tested positive since our vaccinations. Truth is, some of us have. All we developed was maybe a very low grade fever for a day and a short term runny nose. In the real world that we all live in there is a strong probability of exposure…for me it’s all about protecting myself from severe detrimental effects of this virus.

Beast

5-10 years ago I laughed when I heard the term “New World Order” now watching what happening around the world I thinking,” damn, should I get some tin foil and start making a hat?

buschman
    Pool 2

Don’t care who you are. This is funny

Wrong Video. Not sure so trying again.

Cameron white

Don’t care who you are. This is funny

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”*INSANE* Anti-Protestor Steals From Child, Flees, Gets Arrested, Cries (WTF)” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/VLULh9xg3Vw?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Dude is not stable.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you look into my post, I didn’t say that none of us have tested positive since our vaccinations. Truth is, some of us have. All we developed was maybe a very low grade fever for a day and a short term runny nose. In the real world that we all live in there is a strong probability of exposure…for me it’s all about protecting myself from severe detrimental effects of this virus.
    [/quote]

I completely understand where you are coming from and I believe you understand my point of view. We also had covid move through our home 2 times. Same exact sickness you had. Very mild fever and the sniffles for a day or 2. We actually spent the week camping along the river.
    I was just pointing out how you being fully vaxxed for your own protection and us not being has had the exact same results.
    This wasn’t meant to point you out in any which way.
    ( this statement is not for castlerock )
    Thats why I don’t get the needing to be vaxed argument. It has no ground. No need to push any thing on to others. Protect your selves at your own will and mind your own business from others.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

And the real protests begin

buschman
    Pool 2

So, we have to stop bickering about who is and not jabbed. I get it but want to try and keep this train on the tracks with the convoy. I understand the argument but just needs to stop sometimes. I am just as guilty as anyone. So will ask again to just stop.

This prime minister is doing something they have not done up there for a peaceful protest. He is adding law and using high federal support now to avoid talking with them.

This could all be fixed without spending the big bucks if he just talk to these people. However he is going all in and will continue to call them names and try to make them look criminal. However it is not. This is not only legal but their right as a citizen of Canada. Three weeks in and all tickets have been BS minor offenses. He is not giving in and this might be worth the watch now. I don’t think the trucks will just drive away.

In the end here I am sure they will agree to a deal. It will take another week or two but they will agree on a deal and Trudeau will try to take all credit for listing to science and lifting 80% of mandates. They will never give these guys credit for how impressively effective and peaceful they are.

There will be a handful of truck or people at the end still there because it won’t be good enough and act like a jacka$$. These people won’t represent the convoy and impact they made but the PM and media will
    Eat them alive to frame it as so. That’s my guess two weeks from now.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Trudeau declared the Emergencies Act today in Canada. Apparently it’s the first it’s been used since 1970. Parliament has to approve it.

Is it me or does he look like he gained 20 pounds the past week? Guy could use a haircut too.

I wasn’t sure exactly what the Emergencies Act was so I had to look it up.

WHAT IS THE EMERGENCIES ACT?

The act gives the government temporary powers it does not normally have, such as the power to impose special restrictions on public assembly and travel, and to mobilize federal support for local and provincial police. It gives the federal government power to implement temporary measures to ensure safety and security during national emergencies.

A declaration of a public welfare emergency allows the government to regulate the distribution of essential goods, decide what are essential services, and impose fines on violations of the act. It sets out a compensation scheme for those who suffer damages as a result of its application.

KEY MEASURES ANNOUNCED ON MONDAY

Banks and financial institutions will be able to temporarily freeze the accounts of those suspected of supporting the blockades, without obtaining a court order. The insurance on vehicles being used in the protests can also be suspended.

All crowdfunding platforms and payment providers they use must register with Canada’s anti-money laundering agency, FINTRAC, and report suspicious activities effective immediately.

The act will broaden the scope of the government’s anti-money laundering and terrorist financing rules to cover crowdfunding platforms.

The changes are being introduced because crowdfunding platforms are being used to support illegal activities, the government said.

The emergency measures would also allow the government to order towing companies to provide their services to clear blockades.

Trudeau said the measures would be “geographically specific and targeted only to where they are needed.” They will also be “time limited.”

WHAT IS THE HISTORY OF THE EMERGENCIES ACT?

Previously known as the War Measures Act, the Emergencies Act has been used only three times in Canadian history: during the two world wars and in 1970 by Trudeau’s father, late Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, after militant Quebec separatists kidnapped a British diplomat and a provincial Cabinet minister.

Justin Trudeau considered using the act at the start of the pandemic.

HOW CAN THE ACT BE INVOKED?

The Canadian Parliament has to approve the use of the act within seven days of the government invoking the emergency measures. Parliament also has the power to revoke its approval.

Trudeau’s Liberal minority government needs help from the opposition to pass his use of the act in Parliament. On Monday, New Democrat leader Jagmeet Singh said his left-leaning party would be willing to back the move if it means ending the protests.

Any temporary laws made under the act can be challenged in court and are subject to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms of Canada’s Constitution.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

80% of the mandates are set to expire or have been announced they will expire in two weeks already as I said about 4 pages ago. Ontario is lifting their vaccine requirements and 50% restaurant capacity mandate.

It’s sort of interesting where the donations for this protest is coming from. Over half is coming from outside Canada. Almost 1/2 from the US. Why? If Canadians are the ones that are fighting for their freedom, how come they aren’t putting their money where their mouth is?

I hope people understand that this is exactly what countries like Russia and China want. This sort of unrest is perfect for their anti-democratic propaganda. There is zero doubt that they are meddling in this. Not to say they are behind it or responsible for it but there’s not doubt they are seizing on the opportunity amplify this situation.

B-man

Yep….

He’s now legally turned Canada into China…but just “temporarily”**

How f-ed up is that?

And all for a small fringe minority? Why so much panic?

In the Canadian government today, 45% of politicians voted to End All Mandates. 55% voted to “keep with the plan”.

It was close to being over.

Now he’s going into panic mode.

Beast

80% of the mandates are set to expire or have been announced they will expire in two weeks already as I said about 4 pages ago. Ontario is lifting their vaccine requirements and 50% restaurant capacity mandate.

It’s sort of interesting where the donations for this protest is coming from. Over half is coming from outside Canada. Almost 1/2 from the US. Why? If Canadians are the ones that are fighting for their freedom, how come they aren’t putting their money where their mouth is?

I hope people understand that this is exactly what countries like Russia and China want. This sort of unrest is perfect for their anti-democratic propaganda. There is zero doubt that they are meddling in this. Not to say they are behind it or responsible for it but there’s not doubt they are seizing on the opportunity amplify this situation.

don’t forget unsecured U.S. borders too.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Aren’t they protesting for less security at the border?

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Beast wrote:</div>

Aren’t they protesting for less security at the border?

A mask or vaccine isn’t security. More like a false sense of it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

But they want fewer rrgulations to actually cross the border. I see a lot of crying about papers and QR codes at the border.

Cameron white

The blockade at coutts has disbanded. A truck tried to ran a police cruiser, those arrests led to the seizure of a good amount of firearms, ammo and body armour that was enroute to the blockade. 12 people involved arrested. The protesters said they are not associated and don’t want violence and it’s not what they are about.

Beast

when a country asks it’s citizens for papers to move about freely,when the media bends the truth to fit the government agenda, what other event does that sound like?
    I seen on the news Iran the inflation is out of control, the store shelves are empty and store good are hard to get, they say it’s due to the sanctions on them, but it doesn’t sound much different then here.
    I shoot trap during summer, if you can find ammo, it priced so outrageous it’s may be something that as much as I enjoy it I may have to quit ! all in a years time due to pandemic and domestic policies we’re currently running, something got to give, and give soon! hell, I’m still waiting on a dishwasher that I ordered back on Dec. 10 that been pushed back twice already, and I think it’s being made in the twin cities.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I shoot trap during summer, if you can find ammo, it priced so outrageous it’s may be something that as much as I enjoy it I may have to quit ! all in a years time due to pandemic and domestic policies we’re currently running,

There’s very little that’s limited to only being “current” regarding ammo shortages and prices. I’m 37 and it seems like my entire adult life it’s been this way. Tons of factors involved with this. It didn’t just get that way in a years time.

Viewing 30 posts - 631 through 660 (of 880 total)

The topic ‘Truckers convoy in Canada’ is closed to new replies.