Trout Lake

• Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

So my buddy called me up the other day and said he got a hint on a trout lake he wants to take me to. I have never been fishing for trout on a lake, much less through the ice so I am pretty excited to try something new. Is there any tips/hints/suggestions beside the typical google searching when it comes to trout in the winter?

crappieguy

Buddy was just up there last weekend and caught a monster. I can ask what he was using.

crappieguy

Here it is…

We were jigging with white tubes. But, most of the fish, including that one we caught were
    on tip ups with dead Cisco

eyesonly

I just got back from an awsome trip into the BWCA. Caught lots of Lakers. My best bait as stated above was a white 4 inch Tube Jig. Second Best was a Rippen Rap. Blue/Chrome. Dont forget about tip ups. I rigged mine with 10 ft of flourocarbon and a treble hook buried into the Side of a frozen Cisco. Jigging out produced my tip up 3-1. Airplane Jigs and Bucktail Jigs tipped with a chunk of Belly meat from a frozen Cisco got me a few hook ups as well. Its my new favorite fish through the Ice. Make Sure you have the right Rod Combo. I have a jason Mitchel 38 inch Lake Rod that I love. A longer Medium/ Heavy Walley Rod will work ok too. Lakers fight pretty hard and you might wish you brought a more stout Rod. 10# mono with a small swivel with 10 ft of flourocarbon is my Favorite jigging set up for lakers. 10# braid works good too if its not to cold out. It tends to freeze up though and makes for tuff jigging. Have fun. I am now addicted to Laker Fishing and cant wait to go back

Attachments:
    1. full-16165-52266-billswintercampingtrip036.jpg

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

Awesome!! Great info! Thanks for the tips!! I cant wait to get at it tomorrow morning

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Trout Lake north of Vermillion has been good lately, consider using shiners and ciscos on tip ups. Although not on Trout Lake, all of my lakers this season have come off Jigging Raps. The lakers have been smashing them pretty hard the last 3 days. I’ve had a red/ silver #4 on my line a lot lately! Jig 8-10 feet off the bottom and when one comes up just reel in until he hits it, if it goes back down, give it a rap or follow it back down… Get them to chase and you’ll have slimy fingers and a thumping heart in no time!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.