Trouble with Lowrance HDS-5

• Tony Angelle

I have a HDS-5 that is about 10 years old. In the last couple of years and it has begun to reboot in the middle of fishing trips. I am missing some of the trails I use to get from spot to the next. I have checked all the wires, checked the ground and all the connectors and found no fault in that area. I have turned the unit on in my driveway and left on and it has rebooted with no one in the boat and no work being done on the boat.

Lowrance doesn’t support it any longer and suggested I buy a newer model.

Any suggestions?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Turn your voltage display on and see what it’s getting for voltage. Anything below 8 volts I believe it’ll shut off. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Go into your Settings -> Files and see how much data you’ve saved onto your unit over the years. Waypoints, trails, screen captures, sonar logs, error logs, etc… all add up and take up a fair bit of memory space. The older units don’t have a lot of computing power, so deleting (or cutting and pasting onto an SD card if you want to save them) as many files as you can might really improve the performance and eliminate the reboots.

Waxy

Tony Angelle

Thanks but the memory is less than 1/2 full.

I appreciate the response.

Tony Angelle

Does the voltage show up on one of the pages?

Tony

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Had the same problem with my HDS 7. Do you have structure scan module hooked up? My problem came down to one of the wires running to the structure scan the yellow wire if I remember right, it seems I had connected when it should not have been. It worked for a long time before the reboot problem started. Disconnected that wire and never a problem since.

Tony Angelle

I do not have the structure scan module hooked up.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tony

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

then biggil advice is spot on. If the voltage drops the unit will reboot I checked mine with a voltage meter.

Keppinhiemer

Call Humminbird customer service they will most likely be a lot more help than Lawrance! the reason I completely switched over to all humminbird was %100 because the lowrance customer service was so frustrating to deal with

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.