Trolling Reels

• Jamison Wells

Hey guys I’m getting into the Trolling Technique this year and I’m on the market for trolling reels. I’ve looked at the Okuma Coldwater series and the Diawa SealineX series. The reels will be used to fish Lake Winnebago and the Bay of Green Bay for walleyes only. I have a price range of $100 dollars. Let me know what you think.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Both are decent reels for walleyed. I have used both. The Coldwaters are built well. I personally run shimano tekotas. I use them for salmon too so I went to a better reel. I have sealines for my downriger rods.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

From several conversations on these in the past, you’ll find many happy with both. I went with the little less expensive Okuma Convectors years ago when I started out on Bago…. I ran the 20 series for 10-12# mono. I’ve used the same set ups on Lake Erie, and for Salmon on Lake MI. Went to the larger 30 Series as additions now for holding more line with lead core, and the drags are a little heavier. I wouldn’t go any smaller with lead core myself if you want the option for a good amount of backing.

Convectors may not be as high end as the others, but worth looking at. They can be bought for under $80. The Coldwater reels have come down a bit since I bought all mine.

I matched all mine up with pretty nice, but inexpensive medium action Okuma Classic Pro GLT rods.

Jamison Wells

yea i bought the Diawa sealine trolling rods from cabelas and now i just dont know what to buy for reels. How are the Cabelas Depthmasters? they are alot cheaper than the Diawa and Okumas. The depthmaster’s lifetime warranty really is nice.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

yea i bought the Diawa sealine trolling rods from cabelas and now i just dont know what to buy for reels. How are the Cabelas Depthmasters? they are alot cheaper than the Diawa and Okumas. The depthmaster’s lifetime warranty really is nice.

Lifetime warranty at Cabelas discretion.

terribletom

The drags and gearing ratio are your first consideration. I outfitted my first charter boat 1986 w Diawa 47s.three years ago I finally had someone clean and replace whatever. $15 to 20/ reel. That being said…you will destroy a cheaper reel quickly on salmon. Need bigger for core/copper. Walleyes on anything 30 series [spin] you like because you don’t need, 27h fine. Depth masters great for eyes.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Cabelas Depthmasters will work for eyes if you take care of your equipment. I’ve got 2 telescoping combos with lead, a shorty with lead, and 2 planerboard combos. I fish 3-4 days a week with about 75% of it being spent trolling. All rods have caught 6-8# eyes at close to 3mph without issue.

I wouldn’t run these combos for salmon though. If you do, their longevity will probably diminish.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

I have 6 Coldwater CW203DLX (left hand retrieve) 4 are loaded with 30# power pro and 2 have 12# leadcore. Work great – they are used with inline board set-up.
    bestfishes jim

David Blais

The Okuma Cold water reels are awesome.. I have 4 for lead and 6 for long lining and planner boards and 2 for downrigger. They have been flawless.

David Bollig

I have trolled leadcore with Okuma Coldwater, works well however the brass line guide does not work well with Sufflix 832 micro lead core. Excessive noise reeling in and after a few times out you will notice lead pieces on reel and no lead in terminal end of lead core (10 to 20 feet). Tuffline micro seems to work without this problem is cheaper and smaller diameter. I bought a Shimano Tekota and now that is all I want to use. Drag is precise, reel flawless in action.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Both reels you mentioned are pretty good. I run both and the only issue I have had with any of them is on one of the Diawa’s the spool tension adjustment seems froze. I Haven’t taken the time to dig into it yet but that has been my only issue with both models you mention in the years I have been using them.

In my opinion you can’t go wrong with either model. I guess if I was told I had to choose one it would be very tough. I do think the line counter is a little better on my Okuma’s so that may slide my decision to the Okuma model.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.