Trolling motor upgrade question.

• paulk
    River Falls, WI

I have a 16.9′ Mirrocraft Troller EXP with a 90hp Optimax. It came rigged with a 55# powerdrive V2. A couple years ago I added ipilot to it. I like the set up pretty well most of the time but in current or wind I feel like the trolling motor is a bit under powered. Also, if I want to use the spot lock in wind or current it drains my battery very quickly. My question is about the 80# terrova with ipilot. Would upgrading to the 80# be overkill? I did a bunch of “googling” but I thought I’d come straight to the source of most of my fishing information! Thanks for the help!

Paul

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

One can never have too much power or overkill as you called it.

I have a 16.5 Alumacraft and run a 80# terrova with ipilot. It can troll just shy of 4 mph on high but since I never have to run it that way, I can stand on the front deck casting for smallies for a couple days before charging.

The only downfall you will have is add the extra battery and its weight.

Enjoy the new motor when you decide to get it.

Ron

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

You will never regret going to 24v system

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

You will never regret going to 24v system

X2 waytogo

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

If anchor lock is the feature you use most, the Motorguide xi5 is the way to go. I’ve had both the ipilot and the xi5. I’m not affiliated with either, but stand by my statement that the spot lock on the xi5 is far superior to the ipilot. I can stay locked in place in far stronger winds than I could with my ipilot.

It just corrects much sooner than the ipilot that seemed to drift 20+ feet before kicking in. That’s too much when you’re anchored above a wing dam.

robby
    Quad Cities

One can never have too much power or overkill as you called it.

Ditto! I run a Motorguide 36 volt 107lbs of thrust on my 18 footer. You will love your upgrade if you decide to do it.

paulk
    River Falls, WI

Thanks for the advice! That’s kind of what I thought. In the back of my head I just imagined myself accidentally hitting the “rabbit” button and it tossing a buddy out of the boat. That sounds like their problem anyway! devil I’m probably over thinking it.

I haven’t ruled out the xi5. Looks like a great motor! My my biggest hold up is the remote doesn’t have the display on it.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

In the back of my head I just imagined myself accidentally hitting the “rabbit” button and it tossing a buddy out of the boat

Not so much of an issue for them as it is for you in the front of the boat, turn the motor 90 degrees left or right and hit the rabbit button, you better be hanging on to something..
    Don’t ask how I know whistling

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Not going to lie, I wish I had the screen on my remote. The only two things I don’t like about my xi5 are the lack of display (the gateway kit that links to HDS unis is $220, which seems like a lot), and the heading lock isn’t the best.

I’ve heard from multiple people that the gateway kit also fixes the heading lock. I got my 80lb xi5 for $1100, so putting $240 into the gateway kit still keeps me well below what I was going to pay for the Terrova. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen those kind of deals for a while.

I got mine at Anchor Express, and it is currently $1349.99, which isn’t a terrible price. With the gateway kit you’d be looking at about $1570 (if you have an hds unit to hook it up too).

Completely a preference thing, just wanted to post the current pricing that I see.

http://www.anchorexpress.com/MotorGuide-Xi5-Wireless-Trolling-Motor-940800230

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Nice, good price

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

We have a Lund Mr. Pike 16 that came with a MinnKota 55pd. Upgraded to the 80# Terrova and it has made life much better on the water, no more getting pushed around in high wind.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

When I read your question, I see a second less costly possibility.
    Although the 80# upgrade and adding additional battery would be a
    nice upgrade and give you a lot more power and longer battery life.

If your current motor is doing everything power wise that you are looking for,
    why not just add a second battery.
    This will position you for a later TM upgrade if it still proves necessary
    to accomplish your end goals.
    You then would only need to rewire from parallel to series to go from 12v to 24v.

milemark_714

FWIW, I ordered my Xi5 55# 54″ base model from Universalmania this morning, no tax, free shipping.

I think this is the model you bought?

http://universalmania.com/motorguide-xi5-wireless-trolling-motor-freshwater-sonar-gps-80lbs-54-inch-24v/

HRG

Thanks for the link.I also went with the Xi5 55lb with pinpoint.

This place was the cheapest I could find,and customer service so far has been decent.

Hopefully UPS won’t mangle it in transit.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Thanks for the link.I also went with the Xi5 55lb with pinpoint.

This place was the cheapest I could find,and customer service so far has been decent.

Hopefully UPS won’t mangle it in transit.
    [/quote]

I ordered mine on Monday, showed-up on Thursday. I just got home from a work trip, but the box looks fine.

HRG

Ann-Marie Foster

Check out the Trollbridge24, it will charge your 24 volt trolling batteries from your 12 volt alternator. Get back to the trailer with batteries fully charged.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.