Trolling motor Chirp

• bigcrappie
    Blaine

Sounds like you need some Silicone lube on the shaft.

Deuces

I would NOT mount it as close as possible to the TM. Taking away it’s sole purpose to find the boat orientation.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Install manual says at least 5-6′ from trolling head for proper operation.
    Also always point the boat into the wind before using spot lock, makes it easer to hold boat.

I would NOT mount it as close as possible to the TM. Taking away it’s sole purpose to find the boat orientation.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

My 2019 Terrova started doing the same thing last fall, but got progressively worse and annoying. Tried cleaning the shaft, waxing it, sprayed with silicone, and all to no avail. Makes the irritating noise while repositioning in spot lock, or when I’m steering it while moving. Texted a video to our trusted local authorized repair shop, and was told it needs a new drive box (I think he said). Anyway, have known them for years, so dropped it off last week and picking it up later this week. First time I’ve had this issue with a Terrova, so can’t complain. Can give you more detail on exact fix when I pick it up.

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

My 2019 Terrova started doing the same thing last fall, but got progressively worse and annoying. Tried cleaning the shaft, waxing it, sprayed with silicone, and all to no avail. Makes the irritating noise while repositioning in spot lock, or when I’m steering it while moving. Texted a video to our trusted local authorized repair shop, and was told it needs a new drive box (I think he said). Anyway, have known them for years, so dropped it off last week and picking it up later this week. First time I’ve had this issue with a Terrova, so can’t complain. Can give you more detail on exact fix when I pick it up.

I posted the same question on FB Minnkota page… everyone told be steering box like you said. Keep me posted on your situation

z-man
    Dousman, WI

I picked the motor up today from the local authorized repair service and they replaced the steering box. Haven’t had it on the water yet, but I’m confident it was repaired correctly. John said that water had made its way into the box past the seals and although he hadn’t taken it apart, resulted in rusty components on the inside. That would explain the rust residue I’ve been seeing on the outside of the box since last summer but had no idea what the source was; now I know. I kept the old box to take it apart and explore. Cost $265 parts and labor….not bad.

milemark_714

I am on the 3rd steering assembly on a 2020 Ulterra.Funny thing is they sound like crap turning CW vs CCW.Don’t know if there is truly a silent Terrova/Ulterra,but the ASC told me that they seldom lock-up,just sound obnoxious when the bearings inside get whacked-up.I guess the fix is to open up steering box and clean/relube gears/bearings.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Just a follow-up to the steering box replacement. Finally made it out yesterday, and quiet as a mouse; no squeaks, chirps, or other irritating noises. Just the spashing of slab gills. The repair was successful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.