Trip ideas for late March

• tim hurley

Wanted to ice fish in the Park Rapids area for panfish-Possible? Ice anywhere in Mn by
    then? What about in a boat? Would rather not do river walleyes in a boat but I guess I would. Any help would be great-Thanks

mr. sauger25

Steelhead root river most fun fishing u will ever have

bullcans
    Northfield MN

where’s that at?
    Sounds like fun

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mr. sauger25 wrote:</div>

where’s that at?
    Sounds like fun

Racine, Wi (south of Milwaukee). Probably 8+ hrs from Park Rapids.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Winnipeg for Greenbacks. LOW for Pike or Eye’s. By late March you should be able to fish panfish in Park Rapids, you will just likely need to do so from a boat.

tim hurley

I would almost rather fish for bass that time of the year-where is that legal? (c&r) I have a hard time getting pannies right after ice out.

tim hurley

BW Jim and crew took your idea for Winnepeg. Doubt that PR lakes will be out by then, I was up by Annandale and they had a foot of ice. I used to fish a lake 80 miles north and the ice usually went out two weeks after the twin cities. Could go south in a boat, hmmm

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I think Lindner fishes S. and/or N. Dakota for SMB’s and films most of his coldwater shows from SDak.

Mark

tim hurley

Does the bass season stay open over there?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

A buddy and I are going to the Clam University weekend on Devils Lake next weekend to fish with the Perch Patrol and Jason Mitchell. I was worried it was going to get cancelled due to bad ice but just got an email from the resort hosting it saying they expect us to be able to drive trucks out without any issues. I would say go to Devils Lake. It’ll be my first time fishing DL and I am pumped.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

LOTW or bust tomorrow for a couple days of late season ice fishing. Woo hoo.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Suzuki, you should swing by Winnie and check out conditions and shoot me a report! Good luck up there!

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

LOTW or bust tomorrow for a couple days of late season ice fishing. Woo hoo.

Good luck. I hope you have some good fishing.

Please let me know how the fishing and ice / road conditions are. We are thinking about my going the weekend of the 17th.

Thanks.

tim hurley

Trucks on Devils NEXT weekend? The 14th? I tell my wife if I see trucks driving around I’m good on foot for 2 more weeks-still would like to catch Tullies somewhere.

tim hurley

What I would really like to get into is Tullibes-We got a bunch way out on a big lake a couple of years ago-We drove most of the way. Anyone know a good smaller lake or nearshore spot? Would walk half maybe a mile kinda depends on snow.
    PM me if you want
    Thanks

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Up on LOTW now. There is still over 2 ft of ice. Fishing hasn’t been on fire but it’s been steady. Our house with 3 guys has probably caught close to 50 fish since we got up yesterday. No size to speak of though and mostly saugers.

hless_jon
    SW Wisconsin

I just got back from fishing in North Central Colorado. Walden, CO area to be exact. I went with three other guys and we caught big Cutthroat Trout, a few Lake Trout and at least 2 Rainbow Trout. Several Cutthroat over 20″ Very good trip!

I fished at Lake John and Meadow Creek Reservoir. The ice was over 2 feet thick.

The only thing I forgot to take was sun screen because you can get burned really bad when you are closer to the sun. We were approximately 8100 feet up.

tim hurley

Great tip HJ-not in the cards for this year though. Do you guys use sleds? Is snow an issue?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Just got an email about this weekend at the resort we are staying at on Devils Lake and they have over 20 inches of solid ice and had a full week of single digit highs.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Brother was driving on Winnie yesterday, Highbanks

hless_jon
    SW Wisconsin

Great tip HJ-not in the cards for this year though. Do you guys use sleds? Is snow an issue?

Snow was not issue when I was there, We walked about 30 feet on Meadow Creek and drove out on the ice at Lake John

tim hurley

Thanks HJ, wow that sounds like a great trip.

hless_jon
    SW Wisconsin

Thanks HJ, wow that sounds like a great trip.

We are planning to go back next year because of the success and fun…. Granted, it is winter yet in the mountains and snow could be a factor but we kept an eye on the forecast. We had the best success for large cutthroat at Meadow Creek Reservoir. Interesting about Meadow Creek was that it is mostly a private lake that you cannot fish on but the far west side of the lake, west of a fence line that points across the lake is open to the public. Fishing in about 10 feet of water with Garlic scented power bait, the cutthroat ate that stuff up. The biggest cutthroat was 26″

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

LOTW tip-ups for pike should be number one on your list! We had two fish over 40″, 4 others over 35″ in one day a few years ago. If you time it right it can be absolutely amazing.

Call Arnesen’s and see if they can take you out!

tim hurley

Does the timing look good for the start of April?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.