Tried something different

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I thought about this for quite a while…as in several years….and finally decided to do it just for giggles. I entered some baits in the county fair here in Rochester in the 62 years and older fishing lure/flies section. There’s no end to the wonders I guess because I blue-ribboned. Never, ever dreamt something like this would come about. Here’s a picture of what was entered after I got it all back home. I tried for a picture thru the glass case but the glare messed up that idea so I set this up here at home for another pic.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1175.jpg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

How fun is that? Congrats Tom!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

That is so cool. waytogo

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Congrats woot

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m confused, those Baits aren’t older than 62? coffee

gary d
    cordova,il

A form of art. Very nice!!!

Tony Arnold
    Little Falls, MN

I’m confused, those Baits aren’t older than 62? coffee

Probably the age of the competitor not the baits..

FryDog62

I see the famous 4 inch lizard in there… good job Tom ~

Sharon
    SE Metro

Awesome! I wasn’t aware that county fairs would have a category for that! Those are some great looking baits. waytogo

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Congrats, Tom!

-J.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    I’m confused, those Baits aren’t older than 62?  :coffee:

This would be correct about the age of the competitor, only I am way past that 62 years.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I had fun doing this. One thing I had a problem with was choosing which baits to use because I am primarily a panfish angler but I enjoy bass and walleye at times too. The display board had size limits and I didn’t want to crowd things so lots of baits I make didn’t make the cut so to speak. I tried to show different uses of color and techniques used to create different finished products. It was a fun challenge.

Something that slipped by was the mention of the plastic I use. It is entirely phthalate-free plastic so nothing leeches into the water while being fished or if a bait gets lost or torn off. I try to be as “green” as possible in making the baits.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tony Arnold wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    I’m confused, those Baits aren’t older than 62?  :coffee:

This would be correct about the age of the competitor, only I am way past that 62 years.

Cool. Congrats, that is a sweet display of your baits. You probably could have smoked the whippersnappers too P

big_g
    Isle, MN

Very nice work ! We always wander through the Art area in the fairs, lots of creativity in there ! waytogo

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thanks Pug. I didn’t do to compete really. Our county fair’s 4H area at one time was something to see. Everything under the sun was shown. Today its almost pitiful in that area. Wine Makers and wood carvers take up a substantial amount of the building now while photography is dwindling down to next to nothing. Last year a guy showed some really nice flies he’d tied and I thought I’d share what I do with the baits this year. He didn’t show up this year.

Fishing has been a huge part of my life since I was very young and I just wanted to show that bait making can be an extension of the sport. People often stop by to purchase a few baits and if they have their kids along I’ll take a second to show them how its done…maybe make something in their favorite color. Older kids I’ll allow to inject after they get an apron put on and don a pair of protective gloves.

I got interested in the plastic about 5-6 years ago when I could never find colors in the baits I preferred using. I’ve been making jigs since I was about 15 years old. I got started with jigs by hanging out with a shop teacher who liked to fish. I’ve never ever been able to thank that man enough.

We’re checking to see if there is an area at the state fair to enter this display. Things are a little vague up there but if there’s a spot I’ll enter it. The wife has a quilt entered at the State fair this year that earned her a blue ribbon at our county fair. She earned a red ribbon on another quilt. Carole’s the go getter. I’m just a crusty angler with a hobby. lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.