Transom saver for a Yamaha 60 HP 2 stroke?

• Kipp Hughes

I have a 60 HP Yamaha 2 stroke on my 16 Lund Pro Sport. Up until now I have been using the transom locks that are on the motor when I travel. I have been looking at the motor mate transom saver, looks like a quality product but they dont make a model to fit my motor. Is my motor light enough that the built in transom locks are enough to safely support my motor? My boat sits pretty far back on my trailer so there doesnt appear be any where to put a support a bracket to run from the motor down to the trailer frame. Thanks ahead of time for any answers.

Muskee50

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I use one like this. Mine is probably close to 4′ long.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20170711-115230.png

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Is my motor light enough that the built in transom locks are enough to safely support my motor?

All they’re doing is talking stress off the hydrolic cylinders… They’re not saving your transom any stress on the hwy.

Assuming your motor is near Max capacity for the boat, your transom is also realizing Max weight and isn’t rated for much more. Unless of course your not anywhere near Max hp. If it was me I would get the above transom saver and never look back.

broth82

My dad has a 1650 Lund Predator with a 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke, and all he has used for as long as I can remember is he put a 2″x4″ on edge that he lowered the motor onto, if that makes sense. He hasn’t had any issues with his transom and it keeps the motor tilted up to avoid hitting the lower unit on the ground if going over a steep grade.

munchy
    NULL

There have been hundreds of debates on various forums throughout the years on the effectiveness and need for transom savers. Some use the actual transom savers like what was posted above, some use the rubber blocks that get jammed between the hydraulics, some use a wooden block, and some use absolutely nothing. With all sides citing engineering and common sense type reasons.

After reading most of them, IMO it has come down to use what you are most comfortable with.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.