Transom saver for 1600 Pro Sport?

• Kipp Hughes

I own a 2005 Lund Pro Sport 1600 with a 60 hp Yamaha 2 stroke on it. The trailer I have is a EZ loader and my question is, should I be using some kind of transom saver? Up until now I have just been raising the motor and using the motor locks to support it. Just wondering what is the opinion of other regarding the use of transom savers for smaller motors. If you support the use of transom savers could you please suggest a good one that would work for my motor/trailer combo. Thanks for any replies.

Muskee50

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I have one like this for mine, same boat but a 90hp.

I’ll leave the ‘need’ debate to the ‘experts’ but personally it’s not hurting it so why not.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20180811-115748_Chrome.jpg

Kipp Hughes

I was looking around and came across a simple transom saver called a M-Y wedge. Anyone use one of these?

Walleyedavid

I don’t believe in the my wedge. I just don’t see the advantage to them. The pivot point is still higher. That is exactly what people are trying to get rid of. A salesman may try to sell it to a person, but I won’t buy it. It makes zero sense to me. I use the 38 dollar special as previously posted.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I use a hydraulic wedge on my 75 hp 4-stroke. I had previously used a transom saver on my previous boat prior to 2015. The chief mechanic I spoke with when I bought my boat informed me that the wedge does exactly the same thing as a transom saver. Plus it takes up less space too – and it costs about the same. Take that advice for what it is. I have seen some people put a wooden block in there too. If it were me, I would at least put something in there to help the motor from bouncing around while your travelling down the road.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Been discussed before. A transom saver transfers the force into the trailer versus the motor bouncing. I don’t see how a wedge or block would lessen the load on the transom completley. It may help the motor, but it will still bounce and affect the transom. If you’re going to be pulling it down the highway get a transom saver for sure.

404 ERROR
    MN

1,000% the my wedge does NOT do what a transom saver does. a Transom saver takes pressure off the transom and puts it on the trailer, like Nick said…a my wedge takes pressure off the lift cylinders…two completely different tasks and the transom saver happens to do both.

Yes, a transom saver is a good idea on ANY boat regardless of size. If someone chooses a wedge because they didn’t want to deal with a transom saver, that’s their loss.

Rick Janssen

This debate has been around. I have the MyWedge on my 75 4 stroke. I love it. I might give into the reasoning that it does NOT do the same as a transom saver that goes to the trailer, BUT I wonder if those are truly needed. I talked to several boat dealers when I bought mine and they mostly said “transoms are so much better now”. When is the last time you saw a transom damaged?? Me, NEVER. I think the Wedge supports the motor and such which at this time seems like a bigger deal than the transom. Someone will have to report back that they had a Wedge and their transom was damaged. Anyone????

The wedge supports the motor at the center of mass, keeping the force off the hydraulics and lower than the motor hinge point. The long extension to the trailer does what it does (mostly not support the motor).

Kipp Hughes

Thanks guys for all the input, great food for thought. Based on what I’ve heard I am leaning back toward a transom saver. I have trailered my boat for the past year using the flip down motor supports and now have a trim cylinder leak, not sure if it was caused by the way I supported the motor. Just wanted to do the best for my boat/motor. Seems like cheap insurance to me, doesn’t seem like it could hurt the transom or motor by using one. Thanks again for the input.

404 ERROR
    MN

When is the last time you saw a transom damaged?? Me, NEVER.

I’ve cracked mine and have pictures to prove it, they’ve been posted here a couple times. So has Redneck JR…

The long extension to the trailer does what it does (mostly not support the motor).

Please elaborate how it doesn’t support the motor. Maybe I’m missing something…

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

The first thing I did was put a transom saver on my boat when I bought it. All my family members also have done the same thing if they didn’t come with one. We could be a group of suckers but it makes me feel better when going down the road.

DonG

In your Lund users manual it tells you to use support (transom saver type) while trailering.

DonG

Here you go..

Attachments:
    1. 37407947_10216419942069031_2582224536963383296_n.jpg

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishwater wrote:</div>
    The long extension to the trailer does what it does (mostly not support the motor).

Please elaborate how it doesn’t support the motor. Maybe I’m missing something…

The angles are generally pisss poor for a truss type transom saver to really support much of the motor, it primarily ties the motor to the trailer to keep it from wobbling and flexing the transom back and forth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.