Transducer placement

• dld24

Does it matter if you mount your ducers port side or starboard…I have read a lot of people saying the prop messes it up on the port side. Then people that say it doesn’t matter… In my head it shouldn’t matter, because the prop is hitting the water that already went over the ducer. Also I’ll be mounting a side imaging and a high speed ducer, I know you want the SI lower and closest to the keel…Do you want the ducers as close to the center as you can get them? I keep reading conflicting info on that too. Some say close as you can get it some say 15″ from the prop…I feel like it shouldn’t matter either side and you’d want them as close to the center as possible… Correct me if I’m wrong )

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What boat
    What duecer
    What motor
    Do you have kicker
    Aerator screen in way
    Hundreds of types of transoms
    Lots of cavitation variation between boats for many different reasons.
    Yada yada

It’s all in the details brother.

Duecers should skim surface when on plane in an area with least cavitation and have no obstruction to its cone or si beam. There’s your million dollar answer. That’s all in the manual FYI

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

What boat
    What duecer
    What motor
    Do you have kicker
    Aerator screen in way
    Hundreds of types of transoms
    Lots of cavitation variation between boats for many different reasons.
    Yada yada

It’s all in the details brother.

Duecers should skim surface when on plane in an area with least cavitation and have no obstruction to its cone or si beam. There’s your million dollar answer. That’s all in the manual FYI

X2

Each installation is different.

Crappy Fisherman

All the above and more. I run a Lund Pro Guide tiller with a 90 Merc. I mounted my Transducer on the port side so when I’m fishing its on my side. If you can mount it 12 to 18 inches from your lower unit you should be fine. It’s more important to have the transducer mounted properly. Level it so its level at 2 to 3 mph and flush with the bottom of your hull so you get a clean flow of water without any bubbles. If you have Chirp on your locator it really helps. I run Lowrance HDS with a Total Scan transducer and it make a big difference when I switched from the skimmer and regular structure scan transducers.

Hudson8907
    NULL

Any recommendations on where the best place to get my unit installed in the cities would be?

Crappy Fisherman

Watch some YouTube videos, you might find out you can do a better job yourself. Lots of good ones on transducer placement. Measure twice cut once. If your going to the sports show next week take lots of pictures of boats like yours if you can find that model. A lot of them have electronics mounted. Also talk to the reps from the manufactures they can give you some pointers.

dld24

The black lines are where rows of rivets are…I want to mount it to the right of that paddle wheel, but that paddle wheel would block the side imaging correct??

dld24

Attachments:
    1. 20170322_153038.jpg

dld24

Not sure why it won’t let me post the pics with the original post.

Attachments:
    1. 20170322_153046.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The black lines are where rows of rivets are…I want to mount it to the right of that paddle wheel, but that paddle wheel would block the side imaging correct??

Correct. Remove it.

Karry Kyllo

You should be able to make them both work. If it were me, I’d mount a transducer mounting board on your boat and place the paddle wheel to the outside and higher than the transducer. If your transducer is mounted lower than the paddle wheel so that the signal isn’t blocked, you should be OK.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

For best results, but a 2nd duecer and a y cable and enjoy excellent imagery!

dld24

I’ll be mounting 2 ducers Garmin 73sv and an elite 5hdi…so I’m thinking mount the Garmin to the right of the row of rivets next to where the paddle wheel is now, then the elite 5 to the right of that then the paddle wheel to the right of that…Then I shouldnt have any blockage.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ll be mounting 2 ducers Garmin 73sv and an elite 5hdi…so I’m thinking mount the Garmin to the right of the row of rivets next to where the paddle wheel is now, then the elite 5 to the right of that then the paddle wheel to the right of that…Then I shouldnt have any blockage.

You might anticipate some interference mixing duecers on one transom.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.