Trailer tire pressure

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What PSI do you keep your boat trailer tire pressure at? When I look at the tire, there is only a “max rating PSI” and not a recommended PSI rating like there is on the sticker inside the door of my truck. Should I just keep the trailer tires maxed out?

ThunderLund78

This is a good timely question, as I just had this discussion with my dad. We store the cabin fishing boat at his place (small 14 ft lund) and I picked it up this weekend to haul it up there. He told me the tires were good with 35 lbs in each. I told him I thought that was low and that I have always run my utility trailer with same size wheels at 45 (They’re rated for 50). He said that’s their rating but not necessarily what you should run them at. I always thought small wheels rotate nearly twice as much over the same distance as a car wheel and should have rigid tires for less stress on the hub and less tire ware.

Long story short – I’m following )

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yes keep it at max to help with temps that build up. Goodyear some years back even recommended going 10 over max if running on the freeway. Of course you would need to check with the wheel manufacture to make sure that would be ok on the wheel side. The ST rated tires where never meant to go over 55mph as that was the normal back then.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

That’s what I do. I’ve never seen enough tread wear on my trailer tires to tell if they’re over-inflated or under-inflated. I don’t recall the recommended age you should replace them, but I’ve never had much wear on them by the time I replace them.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

In order to achieve the max weight capacity of the tire it must be filled the the max pressure.
    Different weight rated tires will have different pressures.
    I’ve got some trailer tires that max at 35psi and others 65psi

The same goes for vehicles, if you put a Load range E tire on your f150 it will be different psi than the crappy tires that came on it. The vehicle door sticker is more about tire size and speed calibration.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

. The vehicle door sticker is more about tire size and speed calibration.

The vehicle sticker is actually about optimizing the performance of the vehicle. Tire pressure and the aspect ratio of the tire are all important in determining how the tire will flex over bumps. The mfg has set the springs and shocks with the expectation that it will operate optimally with the specific tires and tire pressure that is on the doorpost sticker.

toddrun

Couple of things I have learned over the years –

Max tire pressure, an old timer told me the same that was stated above, run at max for best weight rating and reduced tire heat, but he also said an over inflated tire is more susceptible to tire damage from road hazards.

Tire wear/age, I was told the the majority of trailer tires on the road are unsafe, not because of tire wear but because of tire age. It is suggested to change the trailer tires after 5-6 years because of age, even if tire wear is minimal. I still think that if you inspect them regularly, you can run them longer, but if they show signs of weather cracking it is time to change. One other thing I have found, it cheaper to find new take-offs, wheel and tires, much cheaper then buying new tires. I have found some great sets of take-offs for 1/2 the price of new tires, including nice aluminum wheels with tires.

Adam Steffes

I always run trailer tires at the stated maximum pressure. Whether thats a utility trailer or a 18k lb 5er, its always set to the max on the sidewall. Run them at max pressure to keep the temps down as much as possible. There is no noticeable ride quality difference. I have a funny story about this from just last year. I was at the cabin and mentioned to one of the guys that the tires on his trailer were low and he should air them up before heading out. He said they were fine and declined my advice. Come to find out later that was the spare and he had already shredded one and damaged the fender on the way to the lake. After telling him he needed air, he drove home a couple hundred miles and shredded another one on the way. So, long story short…never run a trailer tire at anything but max pressure.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I asked myself this very same question this weekend.

One other thing I have found, it cheaper to find new take-offs, wheel and tires, much cheaper then buying new tires. I have found some great sets of take-offs for 1/2 the price of new tires, including nice aluminum wheels with tires.

You’re finding trailer take-offs? It’s recommended to run “ST” tires on trailers as opposed to regular passenger car tires.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Tire pressure is important related to load capacity, speed capability, impact resistance, tire wear and fuel economy. Unfortunately you can’t optimize some of the above without impacting others negatively. Higher inflation is better for high speed because sidewalls flex less and the tire runs cooler heat being the major cause of failure in tires. Higher inflation reduces impact resistance because of less flex and so on. Higher inflation increases fuel economy due to less rolling resistance but will possibly reduce tread life as can low inflation. The key is to have tires sized with enough load capacity that they can be run a little below max inflation to still have reasonable impact resistance for potholes, broken concrete, stones, etc. I’m not a fan of extra ply tires like 10 ply if can be avoided because of heat buildup at higher speeds.

toddrun

Yes, these are trailer take-offs, from trailer dealers. Guys are buying new trailers and want fancy custom wheels, so the take-offs are held over and sold at a discount. Most of what I have found are the standard steel wheels, guys upgraded to custom aluminum wheels. But I have also run into deals on nice aluminum wheels that guys took off for custom wheels. These are all trailer wheels and tires, of course you still need to look at load ratings to make sure they are fit for your usage.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

For some reason I always ran my trailer tire 2 pounds under max pressure. I shredded a tire on the way back from the lake this weekend. I am sure it was because of age. Make sure to always check the tire for recommend tire pressure. I picked up some better tires for the boat. Same size tire and rim but the new tires are rated for 65 PSI instead of the 35 PSI the old ones were.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Make sure to always check the tire for recommend tire pressure.

I did that. There is no recommended tire pressure rating listed, only a max PSI tire pressure rating. Which is why I posted the original question. Seems to me like they should also have a recommended PSI rating like vehicle tires do.

Based on the responses, I think I’m going to just keep them at close to or max PSI, but not over.

Adam Steffes

The max rating is the recommended pressure. No need for redundant info. I put one load rating higher on all my trailers and run those at max pressure. No issues.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>
    Make sure to always check the tire for recommend tire pressure.

I did that. There is no recommended tire pressure rating listed, only a max PSI tire pressure rating. Which is why I posted the original question. Seems to me like they should also have a recommended PSI rating like vehicle tires do.

Based on the responses, I think I’m going to just keep them at close to or max PSI, but not over.

You will be fine doing just that G. To clarify my response, I did not intend to have anyone run it higher than max, just letting you know I, when working for Goodyear got a service bulletin about exactly what I mentioned above.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I keep radial tires at the max pressure. Bias ply I adjust according to load so the tread is flat on the pavement. There’s a tendency to run bias ply tires to hard and you wear out the tread in the middle.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The max rating is the recommended pressure. No need for redundant info.

No its not. It says Max Tire Pressure in PSI. It doesn’t say Recommended Tire Pressure.

You will be fine doing just that G.

Thanks John, you gave me good advice on the F-150 tires last fall so I’ll take your word on the trailer tire pressure too.

Adam Steffes

For a trailer tire, those two things are the same meaning. jester Max = recommended = the number of psi in any trailer tire at any time with any amount of actual weight on the tire. Its like you want the department of redundancy department to come out and slap recommended psi – 50 psi cold right next to max psi – 50 psi cold on the sidewall. I am being a bit snarky, but to me, max is the right number on a trailer tire. grin grin

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My boat trailer says max=50 so I usually run 48-50.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I am being a bit snarky, but to me, max is the right number on a trailer tire.

I understand what you are saying Adam. I’m trying to compare it to an automobile tire though.

My truck tires have a max PSI rating on the tire. Inside the door, on the same sticker as the VIN number, there is also a recommended PSI. I keep my tires on my truck at that recommended PSI rating which is on that sticker, not the max PSI rating on the actual tire. Those numbers are different.

That’s all I’m saying. If the max PSI on the trailer tires is the same as the recommended PSI, then that should be indicated. Since its not, I’ll keep it at or near the max PSI. I don’t really have any other choice.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I understand what you are saying Adam. I’m trying to compare it to an automobile tire though.

My truck tires have a max PSI rating on the tire. Inside the door, on the same sticker as the VIN number, there is also a recommended PSI. I keep my tires on my truck at that recommended PSI rating which is on that sticker, not the max PSI rating on the actual tire. Those numbers are different.

That’s all I’m saying. If the max PSI on the trailer tires is the same as the recommended PSI, then that should be indicated. Since its not, I’ll keep it at or near the max PSI. I don’t really have any other choice.

On your truck the manufacturer has some idea how much weight the tires are usually going to be carrying in normal use. The trailer manufacturer doesn’t always know what specific type or size of boat the trailer will be carrying, so they can’t make an educated recommendation on tire pressure.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>
    You will be fine doing just that G.

Thanks John, you gave me good advice on the F-150 tires last fall so I’ll take your word on the trailer tire pressure too.
    [/quote]

Appreciate the trust. toast

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I just looked at my trailer, and it has a sticker which reads (among other things):
    “…with ST205/75R14C tire, 14 x 6 J rims, @ 345 KPA (50 PSI) cold”

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Adam Steffes wrote:</div>
    I am being a bit snarky, but to me, max is the right number on a trailer tire.

If you want to overthink this even more, then take into account the max. pressure rating is at 32 degrees F. Better brush up on your thermodynamics.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lol my brain is already warped from it

blackbay
    mn

The recommended tire pressure in a car or truck is meant to give you a good ride at a normal load. It’s got nothing really to do with the tires themselves. If you look at new cars, or especially trucks, they all have the same stickers in the doors with 35 lbs of pressure but may have different tires all together.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

My thinking….

What it says on the door of your car/truck is the size and tire pressure suggested for best performance & tire life under normal load conditions.

Trailer tires have max rating since load is not consistent.

So…

My “2000#” double snowmobile trailer tires are rated for 1165# max @ 50#. So 2330# total load. Trailers weighs about 400# & an ATV 700# (more full of slush”. Ice fishing time I usually haul 2 ATVs/snowmobiles or my ice shack so my tires are set at max of 50#. The rest of the year I usually only haul 1 ATV so I set them at 42#.

I got 10+ years out my last tire until the sides cracked.

Tom schmitt

I had a boat/trailer combination that was maxed out on the weight rating.
    This caused a lot of tire issues.
    The tire sales rep. gave me advice that has worked well for me.
    Set the tire pressure at the max psi when it is hot.
    This gives the softest ride without tire pressure buildup from heat.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.