Trailer step options

• FryDog62

I launch my boat by myself 30+ times a season. Have been thinking of getting some trailer steps to make it easier, safer, and not have to get wet…

Looked at some options and some were 1-2 steps and inexpensive (less than $100) and some were 3 steps and a grab pole and $500+.

Is there something you’ve used that’s functional but reasonably priced?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good question, tired of using the winch post myself as well.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have the steps from Skeeter, don’t know who makes them. Eazee steps make some with a retractable grab pole.

iowa_josh

I saw a sweet picture the other day. A guy just filled in part of the trailer to walk on. It looked awesome. I want some anti skid strips. also. And I want to make my boat self center more on the trailer. Not quite sure how to accomplish that yet.

FryDog62

I have the steps from Skeeter, don’t know who makes them. Eazee steps make some with a retractable grab pole.

Curious how much it cost? I think 3 steps and pole with Ezee Step is the one I saw for $500. Seems a bit (way) steep… but maybe I’m wrong.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have no clue on cost. They have a very aggressive tread so be carefull of that also. I like the ones from SBC.

reddog

I made my own, fashioned like the EZEE Steps. Pretty simple actually. Had the powder coated, but you could just spray them with auto undercoating. You can’t see it well, but mine are two independent steps. I had a pair of EZEEs before on my Crestliner. I guarantee you will never regret the purchase.

Attachments:
    1. image-1.jpg

FryDog62

I have no clue on cost. They have a very aggressive tread so be carefull of that also. I like the ones from SBC.

Thanks… so does SBC fabricate their own? Do they sell/make them for other brands?

And regarding the aggressive tread for Ezee steps, isn’t that a good thing or are they too rough?

FryDog62

I made my own, fashioned like the EZEE Steps. Pretty simple actually. Had the powder coated, but you could just spray them with auto undercoating. You can’t see it well, but mine are two independent steps. I had a pair of EZEEs before on my Crestliner. I guarantee you will never regret the purchase.

Reddog, looks good. I might be looking for a winter project but have fairly basic tools. Did you end up welding (which I don’t have)? Thanks –

reddog

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>reddog wrote:</div>

Reddog, looks good. I might be looking for a winter project but have fairly basic tools. Did you end up welding (which I don’t have)? Thanks –

Yes, mine are welded, 3 parts, the base 1/4 inch flat steel and 4 Inch U Bolts) which bolts onto the trailer frame. the extension (1 1/4 square tubing) and the step, which is just flat 1/4 inch metal with 3M abrasive material applied after powder coating. I just cut the part out, and did the drilling for the U bolts, and took them to a friends shop and had them professionally welded. Theres quite a bit of torque on the angled joint to the frame plate when you step down from the boat, so make sure they get a good weld there and inspect it occasionally.

The EZEE steps are very aggresive in regards to the foot plate. I primarily only fish in the winter time, so I always have pack boots on so its not a problem. It would not be comfortable to step up into the boat with bare feet in the summer time. They are an incredibly good product, well worth the money if you dont have the means to fabricate your own. Ive gor other poictures somewhere of both sets. Ill try to dig them up.

Attachments:
    1. steps.jpg

FryDog62

Thx Reddog, looks like you did a nice job. I lack the welding capabilities to make my own but don’t want to spend $500 either on Ezee steps. Maybe I’ll look into pole vaulting again ;)lol

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

If you make a prototype out of wood or cardboard or something and have some decent measurements someone can easily weld it up for you. Material is cheap but will cost a little labor. It cost more to have mine powder coated than I had in it for time and materials. After powder coat I put on non slip tape used for traction on floors near industrial machines and looks new after 2 seasons. I used the same bolt pattern as my winch so there is only one attach point and I over engineered for heavyweights. It was a pain in the butt to get on/off my high bow myself when loading the boat without a dock and then nearly impossible once I put a bow mount trolling motor on there. It’s one of the nicest accessories I’ve ever installed on one of my boats.

Attachments:
    1. 26940607_10211479947056755_1909605864_n-1.jpg

2. 26940950_10211479948096781_879608573_n.jpg

3. 26943577_10211479946656745_259135410_n.jpg

4. 26940570_10211479947176758_322258751_n.jpg

FryDog62

Looks very strong, Nice job!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It won’t matter what the steps cost, once you have them you would happily pay $1,000 never to be without again.

Yes they are that nice. lol

reddog

Nice skill set you have there, Pete!

JoeMX1825
    MN

I few years back the simple 2 step & Hand rail design for Skeeter’s cost $350, the more elaborate diamond plate foot step model cost much more…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3635.jpg

grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

I highly recommend EZEE Steps and a Drotto Boat Latch system to replace the top roller on the winch stand. Big safety issue for me when by myself (bad leg) and my wife loves the Drotto when she goes with me when unloading and loading. No more standing on the trailer tongue for the person backing the trailer. I fish out of Ranger 619. Go to their website and take a look.

Attachments:
    1. 2017-08-11-11.21.44.jpg

Buckeye1

I researched step options for over 2 months. A few of the lower priced options either would not fit my trailer or the company did not return phone calls or emails. I ended up ordering the EZEE step with retractable grab pole. After talking with the owner Mark I know I made the right decision. I actually saw then on 2 different fishing shows this weekend. They should arrive in a weeks or so. I will post pics when I get then.

shefland
    Walker

I had eezee steps, 2 step system with a pole on my Warrior, now have a 2075 Lund will get eezee steps again, expensive yes, laying in HCMC or any hospital if your lucky, not a good option. Will go with a 3 step and pole this time. I’ve said this before, this is a safety option.

shefland
    Walker

my 2 step system on the warrior

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0651.jpg

iowa_josh

I guess my boat isn’t very tall but I worry about slipping while trying to do the trailer tongue shimmey.

grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

I highly recommend EZEE Steps and a Drotto Boat Latch system to replace the top roller on the winch stand. Big safety issue for me when by myself (bad leg) and my wife loves the Drotto when she goes with me when unloading and loading. No more standing on the trailer tongue for the person backing the trailer. I fish out of Ranger 619. Go to their website and take a look.

Here is a pic showing the EZEE STEPS and the Drotto Latch.

Attachments:
    1. 2018-02-12-10.46.33.jpg

Buckeye1

Can’t wait for my Ezee Steps to arrive. About 1 more week.

Buckeye1

Installed my EZee steps today. They are gonna be awesome.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5982.jpg

Buckeye1

Got to try out my steps in Depere this weekend. All I can say is wow. Loading and unloading with dry feet was awesome.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I started exploring options for some steps so that I don’t have to use the crank handle as a step getting in and out of the boat. My trailer frame is tucked too far under the bow of the boat to be able to use the channel mount style. With a couple of friends being able to weld, I’m going to try and make something that I can mount to the tongue. I will report back with progress pics as they become available.

BrianF

Fry, a guy like you needs a quality trailer step system. I went with the Trick Step. Very good reviews on these as well. Just another option to consider if you plan to make the investment. Also picked up a Drotto boat latch system but have yet to install. Spend the $$$’s and don’t think 2X about it. You’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.